ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I set up my first discus tank?

Registered Member

Default Re:How do I set up my first discus tank?

By aged water........You mean keeping a tank full of dechorlinated, warm, tap water? Why does the water need to be aged? And how long does it have to be aged? Thanks for your time

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Yes, a tank of warm water the same pH as the discus water.

The reason we agitate or "age" our water is that water under pressure contains CO2. Aigtating or aerating it releases the CO2, stabilizing the pH. This is also why the pH from the tap is generally lower than the pH of the tank water.

Length of time to stabilize the pH varies from place to place. My moderately hard well water (GH 11, pH 7.8) takes about 3 hours of vigorous agitation with a pond pump. It takes more than 48 hours to raise my pH with just an airstone. Other folks with soft ground water from a resevoir may be able to stabilize their pH overnight with just an airstone.

You need a pH kit and to test your water to see how long and what level of agitation it takes at your house. Post your numbers and I can help you guess.

Registered Member

Thanks Carol! ;D How do I aged the water and what would be a good size container if I got a 55 gallon tank or a 75 gallon tank? ;D Also I see I will need a pond pump because we have almost the same water conditions. Mine being ph 7.6 and hardness 10. Where is a good place to get a reliable but somewhat inexpensive (i am only 14)? Thanks again.

The big pond pump I use in my 55 gallon barrels is from Walmart and costs about $60. Maybe others will know of a cheaper pump.

You can age water in any large, round plastic container - like a rubbermaid 35 gallon trash can.

The pump will make water changes much easier as you can pump the water back to the tank.

Registered Member

Thanks for the info this is a great forum with lots of helpful people. I really like the orange discus in your picture what strain is it?

Thank you, that is a pigeonblood. Similiar to a morning glory

Registered Member

Do you know of the pump model and name I need to start a gather supplies for my first tank. thanks ;D

My Walmart only has 3 models of pond pump. Small, medium and large - I pick the large pond pump. It agitates harder and fills the tank quicker. The medium will work, don't get the small.

Registered Member

Thanks

Registered Member

My mom is wondering about how much time would it take to do water changes daily? This is a key factor due to the fact I will be taking honor classes and be on the lacrosse team at my high school. Also can discus be kept in a basement if i visit them daily and do water changes and have a light down there on during the day and night. (it is underground, no natural light)? Thanks for your time.

Registered Member

Hi,

I am new in discus. recently got a tank 24"(L) x 18"(H) x 18"(B).

I have 12 juv in it and using 2 filter, one overhead filter to serve as mechnical filter and 1 Eheim 2233 to serve as Bio filter. :P

Is that ok ? ???

Thanks

You have a 33 gallon tank with 12 juveniles. Thats fine when they are small. They will out grow your tank pretty soon. Are you planning to get a larger tank or sell them off as they grow?

A mechanical filter means it traps debris - pulls solids like feces and uneaten food into the filter. Do you rinse it out every day or two? If not you should. Every drop of water is cycling thru that filter several times per hour.

A biological filter means it converts ammonia into nitrite and then to nitrate. Do you have a prefilter sponge on the Eheim so that only water and no solids enter the canister?

It's really good to have a group of 12 babies. They eat better and feel more secure. Just pay attention to your water quality (and what is hiding in your filters) and your discus should do just fine. ;D

Registered Member

Thanks Carol.

I use cotton that normally serve as top filter layer as a prefilter for the Eheim. Eventually, yes will move to a bigger tank.

Registered Member

Smokey stated:
    MASS - in this case bigger is better. ex; a BIO-TOWER utilizes 120 cubic inches mechanical filteration AND 240 cubic inches bio logical filtration; minimum!
    OK, what is a Bio-Tower?
    Who is it made by?

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast