AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discusless in Des Moines

Registered Member

Default Discusless in Des Moines

I'm interested in purchasing some discus. Does anyone know of any breeders in the Des Moines, Iowa area? Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

Dave

Registered Member

Default Re:Discusless in Des Moines

Contact David Webber. I think he told me he has a good friend in Iowa with a small hatchery. This was awhile ago, however.

Registered Member

Thanks so much. I contacted David Webber, and he responded very quickly! His Iowa contact has since moved, but, the lead is much appreciated.

Maybe I need to widen the geographical component of this seach? I found St. Croix Discus Hatchery, located NE of the Twin Cities near Forest Lake, MN. Perhaps there are other breeders who are also within a few hours.

Thanks!

Dave

Registered Member

St croix discus hatchery is a good possibility, Paul is a good guy but can be hard to get ahold of by email. he is best to call.

Willie on this forum also lives in the twin cities and may still have some blue diamonds for sale. I have 6 of them and one of their uncles and they are very good quality fish.there are others in minnesota that may be able to help you

Registered Member

I'm no longer discusless in Des Moines. I had a little work to do in Minnesota Saturday morning, so I got together with Paul at St. Croix Discus. Great guy. His hatchery is in a beautiful rural area, surprisingly close to the Twin Cities.

A lot of his advice centered around the concept not introducing parasites.

Now I've got to keep those nice healthy discus healthy. From what I read on these boards, that's no small challenge.

I look forward to beginning my pilgramage as a discus keeper. I also look forward to being the beneficiary of a lot of wisdom from the contributor's to this forum.

Registered Member

What kind did you get? he has killer snakeskins and also black nightxbd crosses.

Now that you took the plunge, consider trying to attend the Midwest Discus Club events.

Denny

Registered Member

I ended up with two blue diamonds, two red turquoise (snakeskins?), three pigeon bloods, and three marlboro reds. All between two and three inches. So far, so good. Nine out of the ten are eating like crazy. The other one eats, but not much. Hopefully he's practicing moderation in all things. We'll see.

Midwest Discus Club sounds good. I'm interested in learning. I'll bet I could make some events. How do I get more information?

Dave

Real Name
    Willie

IM me your e-mail and I'll get you on the circulation list for announcements.

Willie