ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Brown alge

Registered Member

Default Brown alge

For some reason I am being over taken with brown alge in all my tanks .
    I am doing 50% water changes daily .
    Lights are on 12 hours a day
    Any suggestions other than buying some plecos

Fisheyes

Default Re: Brown alge

Hi,
    Well it could be something it the incoming tap water = high phosphates, high algae content etc

usually more water changes help, less light = maybe 8 hours per day,
    some have used phosphate sponges for algae.

hth

It means getting your hands wet! Wipe down those tanks or show the discus how to clean the tanks! ;D

Seriously, I have my lights on 24/7 and no algae. I wipe down the tanks daily or at least every second day! Just a thought!

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Those pesky diatoms can be brought under control by rinsing your filter media, wiping the walls . . . and only having your lights on in the evening when you are home watching the fish . . . you don't have plants do you?

Discus don't care how much light they have (as long as you aren't turning the lights off and on scaring them).

I've battled diatoms (brown algae) in the Living room African tank since I started it. It has lots of rocks, but no plants except philodendron roots. Every rock in the tank was the same diatom brown color This summer I've been so busy with ball games, choir and Simply that I'd only have the lights on for a couple of hours at night. The room has a wall of windows so it does get indirect light during the day.

The diatoms went away. None on the rocks or driftwood and barely any on the glass! The fish all look perfectly happy, my rocks are different colors and less work for me ;D

Registered Member

Thanks Carol

I will try the lights and get rid of the couple of strands of hygrophila polysperma I have in each tank.
    I also purchased some phosphate bags for the filters.

The only reason I kept hygrophila in the tanks is because the very young discus seem to enjoy eating it and it did not need to be planted
    Fisheyes