AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tanks for sale

Registered Member

Default Re:tanks for sale

Peter:

You sound like a very nice guy. It's honorable that you choose to blame yourself for the leaks in the 80-gallon tanks. However, I have to ask. Do you honestly believe that you must have "man-handled" your tanks? You seem to be an experienced aquarist. I am, too. I know that it takes a lot to make a well made tank leak.

That being said, I will be the first one to admit that $65 for an 80-gallon tank is a great bargain. But, I wouldn't take any size tank for free if I knew that it had a leak. Saving money over sleep is not my idea of a pleasant hobby. I really feel for you and am surprised that the seller has not apologized in this thread about the leaks--no matter who might have caused them. Bad luck is one thing but having both your tanks leak? That sounds--pardon me--fishy.

Registered Member

I've got to echo Jason's statements as I felt the same way after reading the posts. What would be your reaction if you bought a new tank that leaked after 2 weeks? One leaker is one too many.

Has the original seller offer to replace them? Have any of the other purchasers experienced the same problem?

Registered Member

I agree with being careful with the used/homemade tank notion. I just bought a new 75g All glass tank/lid/light combo for $280 (just the tank was $160 the rest was for the lid/light). This pales in comparison to the cost of the new discus I am hoping to put in there. With tanks that size the weight and possible water damage (I have my tanks in a finished basement with carpeting) requires special consideration. The loss of life, water damage and frustration associated with a leaking or cracked tank of this size makes the extra dollars for a new tank more than worth it.

Pat

Registered Member

Put them up for sale on Aquabid as seam leakers and you believe they are repairable in the right hands. Also put a note that the glass is not broken if that statement is true and that they are drilled.

www.aquabid.com

Registered Member

Default Re:Two 80 gallon tanks for sale - $100 for all.

[quote author=ODwyerPW link=board=13;threadid=10622;start=15#119072 date=1059056471]
    The glass lids are pretty neat too.
    [/quote]

Sorry about hijacking the thread, but how were the glass tops constructed? I thought it was just a couple sheets of plate glass set on top of the frame.

Thanks,
    KRIS

Registered Member

I can vouch that the tanks DID NOT LEAK when they were sold.I watched Glenn when the tanks were being built and have been to his house at least once a week when he had discus in them,with NO LEAKS fo as long as he had them in use.
    As everyone knows...stuff happens...I agree with the way Limige says to fix the tank..I am like you and had NO luck repairing my own tank that leaked...so who came over and fixed it in about 15 min...Glenn,he did everything that Limige said to do,and the tank hasn't leaked since...Give the fix a try before ya get rid of them..all you can lose is a little time.

Mench

Peter,
    You seem like a handy fellow. why not separate the panels and re-silicon them. I have used limige's emthod before and it has worked for some leaks fine. For others I took the additional time and stripped the bead from tank panels. Re-apply a bead of silicon "between" the 2 panels....The apply the bead inside and smooth. Finger can be used, or hardware stores sell a tool for doing the caulk around a bath tub.

Unless you put the bead "between" the glass.. Theres a good chance that with the slightest bit of Bowing, or not leveling enough... It can leak.

Hth,
    -al

Peter,
    I've also had some luck repairing tanks...so far-so good....just re-siliconed a 70 gallon a few weeks ago...
    I'm sure you'll get alot of interest from aquabid...

sounds like you've got the right idea for dealing with it...i really doubt the guy was selling you leaky tanks intentionally...

You can holster your guns, turn the sirens off, and go back to the donut shop now boys... : : ;D
    david

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

I never questioned Glenn's integrity in any of my posts. I never accused him of selling me leaky tanks. I've always owned up to the fact that they did not leak when I received them, but only days/weeks of having them. I definitely subscribe to the 'things happen' train of thought. Any combination of my handling, my stand, their construction, etc... could have caused them to leak. You won't find me throwing around any blame. I've never even suggested Glenn apologize or offer any form of compensation. It isn't necessary, nor appropriate in this instance.

I had considered the repair, however the fellow who very recently purchased Glenn's other tanks is interested in acquiring my leakers. So I'm game, price is right. Can't think of anything better than someone with the skill to repair them having all 8 of these guys (no I'm not being sarcastic....they have nice dimensions and are drilled with bulkheads in all of the right places). They will make for a very nice, easy to maintain 640gallons of Grow-Out space.

With the house remodel in full swing, I just don't want to invest anymore time in repairing these guys, especially a full tear down of them. I get an earful everytime I'm in the basement working with the tanks and not in the attic running wiring, copper pipe or insulating. I got the green light to obtain a couple of 75's so I'll do that (a time vs. money rationale on the part of my wife....hey I'll buy that!).

I do appreciate all of the fine responses and solid advice I received from many of you, as well as the words of encouragement. No doubt some of you are disappointed that I appear to be throwing in the towel. I'm a bit disappointed myself, but I'm going to weigh on the side of caution on this one and take the easy way out. Tanks should be picked up on Wednesday evening. I'll eliminate one potential snafu by making sure this 8' stand is as absolutely perfect as it can be before I get any more tanks.

Binghampton huh? Was his name Richard Brice?

Rich

Registered Member

Actually spelled "Binghamton" but thats a mistake often made. Can you post or email the guys name Peter? I'd be interested to contact him and see his setup.

Thanks,

keith

glad it all worked out in the end.. commendations to you on your attitude here Peter.!

-al

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12