ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: HELP please: Tank heating up with summer weather!

Registered Member

Default HELP please: Tank heating up with summer weather!

We have no A/C and the temp in my dsicus tank keeps creeping up beyond that 82-86 comfort range, to 90 or above--not too good for water quality or extended comfort of the discus and even worse even for the plants. I have been putting bottles of frozen water in the sump before I leave for work and again in the evening, but the tank is a 180g and it's only bringing it down a degree or two. I've left my tank lights off for the last day or so but am wondering how you all keep the temps steady and in range in the summer dog days?
    thans for any help,
    Harriett

Default Re:HELP please: Tank heating up with summer weather!

Well, Harriett
    Its quite simple actually! Dont bother with fighting the temp if your ambient temp (room temp) is rising! Sure, there are various methods to use to lower the temp however the problem becomes temp fluctuations (cooling and heating) which are worse than high steady temps. I have the same problem with my planted 90G. First of all, the discus dont mind. Second, plants should not have problem (depending on the plants). And third, its a pain in the behind plus the worrying about it.

The worst is though in the evenings and nights when the temp drops again. What I did was set my heaters at 88F therefore not allowing the temp to fall under that temp. During the day, the temp rises to 90F on a hot day and if its really hot 92F (doesnt happen too often). You dont want the temp to drop too much, 2-3F is enough. This will help keep your tank steady.

One thing to watch out for is 02 levels. Warmer water has less dissolved 02 so maybe an airstone will help plus vacuuming the gravel etc to ensure a clean environment.

Registered Member

Thanks for the response, ronrca!
    So are you saying a tank sitting at 90 or 92 in the dog days is not going to stress the discus?
    I am thinking I could reverse my timer for the lighting: keep it off in the hotter day hours and have it run during the slightly cooler evening/night hours.
    Some of my more troical plants will be fine but have concerns about many of the others--too bad for me, since it is what it is, I guess.
    I know the bacterial count in the water can be expected to increase if the water is this warm so it may mean and extra water change/vacuuming mid week?
    Since the plants are putting out O2 (this is a rather heavily planted tank), am wondering if I need to add an airstone...
    Wonder if blowing a large box fan at the tank might do something worthwhile?
    Harriett

Discus at a steady temp of 90-92 will not be stressed but temps that are rising/falling are stressful. Like I mentioned, my tank is usually at 88F+.

I know the bacterial count in the water can be expected to increase if the water is this warm so it may mean and extra water change/vacuuming mid week?
    Higher temps increase the speed of the life cycle of bacteria. Doesnt mean more bacteria but it can become a problem if there are some nasties in the tank because of increased reproduction speed. So, keeping the garabe to a minimum will deter any possible problems. Just a precaution more than anything though I would not worry about it.

Since the plants are putting out O2 (this is a rather heavily planted tank), am wondering if I need to add an airstone...
    You may not but just keep an eye on the 02 and have an airstone/pump at hand just in case.

Other than getting air conditioning or a chiller for the tank, its not really worth the pain and stress (yourself and the fish) to try to fight the temps.

I also forgot to mention that metabolish also increases with higher temps!

Registered Member

nope, they wont be bothered by temps in the 90's.

I remember reading an article way back that either Jim Q or Teddy J posted regarding a study on temps with regards to discus. As long as the temps don't fluctuate too rapidly one way or the other, discus can handle temp well into the 90's with no problem. There max range (I forget exactly) was around the very upper 90's or low 100's.
    This article was a study done to see the effects of heat and medication to kill off parasites.

Don't stress about the heat, in my old apartment my tanks would get into the low to mid 90's every summer. Never had a problem with discus.

Stephen

Good points Stephen!

Id also mention that when we Qt discus or do have problems with bacteria, we raise the temps to 92-94F.

Registered Member

Thanks to you guys for all the feedback, I am much relieved. I will also watch my O2 sat in the tank and swap my day/night light cycles--my CP lights put out a fair amount of heat on their own---great in the winter, not great obviously in Chicago in the summer!
    This has been a knock-on-wood 'good juju tank' from the start; the fish, in spite of my relative newbie status, have done beautifully---biggest problem has been wrestling with plants to see what works best in discus conditions with the higher temps--a different challenges from my previous tanks all with mid 70s temp ranges.
    Again, my thanks
    Harriett