AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: does is legal to buy import flower horn in USA?

Registered Member

Default does is legal to buy import flower horn in USA?

Since those import fish are beautiful, I was wonder that is it legal to buy the fish in the country. If it is, can some one tell me where to find them. I search the net but did not see a lot of USA site contain the information

Default Re:does is legal to buy import flower horn in USA?

Since flower horn are man made fish, you can purchase them legally. They are not protected by Cite or anything else. Try doing a search for (hua lor han) .

There is a couple of guys on the forum who keeps them and breeds them.

The other places I have seen them beside the net is in Chinatown pet stores.

Also aquabid has them for sale also.

Like anything else do your research. From what I hear there are different generations and different varieties. Find out what you can so you don't end up with a fish you spent a couple of years raising and end up not liking it.

Registered Member

As HenryD stated, it is not illegal to import flowerhorns. However, it is impractical if you only want a few. Here's the link to aquabid:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...i?fwflowerhorn

Most of the sellers are from Cali. As with any fish, it's better to view them in person before purchasing.

Registered Member

I have seen them at several of the larger LFS here in the SF Bay area. Since the profit margin on these guys is so high, and they are big cichlids that are hard to kill, they should be getting around soon. Paul.

Registered Member

It's amazing what these little (actually big) guys can bring. I saw some at LFS for $1800 per fish!

Registered Member

Posted by: henryD Since flower horn are man made fish, you can purchase them legally
    Did some human male donated his sperm? ;D
    So if I mix 2 Red Asian Arowana together, call it man made fish. Give it a new name like the FLOWERNOSE guess it become legal. ???

Flower horn is from the Cichlids family group, breed with many different type of cichlid like RED DEVIL, HERICHTHYS CARPINTUS, MANAGUENCE, better known as a mix breed of cichlid or a evolution in cichlid. So if cichlid is mostly legal, just flowerhorn too!

Registered Member

[quote author=DiscusDiablo link=board=13;threadid=11057;start=0#122093 date=1060287993] So if I mix 2 Red Asian Arowana together, call it man made fish. Give it a new name like the FLOWERNOSE guess it become legal. ???
    [/quote]

Ummm...Yes. If the fish were bred in captivity, the fry can be shipped anywhere. The name is irrelevent. Doesn't matter if you called the arrowana a flowernose, flowerchild, etc.

A flowerhorn is a mixture of species (like you wrote) & therefore, not a NATIVE fish of any country. This means it can be also be shipped anywhere.