ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Culling practice.

Default Culling practice.

I was just working. On a typical spawn what is the percentage everyone culls? I have talk to some and it seems everyone culls pretty heavily. Just curious......

Default Re:Culling practice.

Hi Henry,
    I think it matters alot on what you are working with it. Two high quality fish will throw a good number of keeper, That number goes down with quality of the pair though.

I don't think you fix a number to it.
    hth,
    al

Default Re:Culling practice.

Depending on the breeder's standard. I cull heavily up to 90% of them. Is it necessary? Absolutely not. It's because I can't be bothered selling them and don't want to do too much work for a few dollars based on the cost and extra effort to keep discus in the USA and Canada. I just keep what I want as a challenge. A professional breeder may try to save everyone of them if the defects are not too obvious. All they care is $$$$$. and fast growing. They 'll try all possible ways to get them ready and out of their hatchery in 6 weeks. They can sell them as low as $5.00 per fish to the LFS just try to force their competitors out of business. They are just garbage hormoned fish.
    Jimmy.