AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To all breeders: Can I make money out of discus breeding?

Registered Member

Default To all breeders: Can I make money out of discus breeding?

Hello to all breeders!

I am a discus lover but not a breeder yet. Eventually, I will surely come to that point and maybe to the extreme point of breeding. I know my self well, if I get into something which I love doing then I'll find all ways and means to excel on the subject.

For all the experienced breeders out there, I have one question in mind: Can I make a living out of Discus breeding???

Please help me decide, otherwise I'll have to do it only as a personal hobby.

Eagerly awaiting your pro advise.

Many thanks
    jovel

Registered Member ReeferKimberly's Avatar

Default Re:To all breeders: Can I make money out of discus breeding?

give cary strong an im or a call. i had pretty much the exact question about college majors and such (looking into business and genetics to become a commercial breeder). it's pretty much a dog-eat-dog cut throat business and you will get stabbed in the back time and time again. some come out on top but many do not. do not rely on it. have a back up plan and job until or if you become really stable. the beginning is that hardest and getting the parents to actually raise is smack dab where i'm at right now.
    good luck
    kimberly :-*

Registered Member

I think most of the breeders will tell you...If you want to make a little money out of breeding discus....Start with a LOT of money.....
    Really you should talk to as many breeders as you can...it is as Kim says,a hard business..but if it is something you enjoy and are good at...go for it.

Mench

I agree with Mench, from what I have seen its real tough to make it as a BREEDER.... Now a breeder that is really an Importer has a better chance but even that has risks associated.

My advice... enjoy it as a hobby. get the Breeding down pat, and sell what you breed. Breed QUALITY, SELL QUALITY, and take it from There. If you are really good at it, and have the will, I believe you can make anything work...but It'll be rocky road!
    hth,
    al

Registered Member

yes you can make money in discus breeding if you are lucky to get good breeding pairs besides you have to practice lot for artificial hatching and rearing, also you have to invest lot of money in your hatchery/fish room, most important you will be in buisness if no one breeds discus in your town, make some survey talk to your lfs let them know you are going to start this kind of work, find out the price of imported discus which are mainly from thailand and indonesia, try to locate wholesalers, you have to reduce your price to compete with imported ones, try to make understand lfs owners localy bred discus are more healthier and stable than imported one, once you had established your reputation you cannot fulfil the demands of lfs, its lot of work, do your homework properly then jump in breeding
    HTH

Look what this guy has to sell just to break even. ;Dhttp://www.greatlakesdiscus.com

Thats Hillarious!!!!ROTFLMAO!!!!! ;D

Registered Member

IMHO you are better off getting into corals, way bigger market and more profitable than discus. Go to reefcentral.com for more info. Discus is not for everyone, changing water in a daily basis is one of many reasons. Angels however is a good alternative.

ps. the last ppl you want to ask for opinions regarding starting a hatchery are breeders, breeders that you'll be competing someday. That is common sense I believe.

Depending on your client you're targetting. Show Quality discus can make money. You will be surprise how much a collector willing to pay for a quality breeding pair. $3,000 is just average for a Japanese buyer. Low quality LFS fish will not. It's better raise Angels and Guppies. I've seen a German Buyer who offered to the owner to buy 2 tank full of 2" Red Melon from the Champion Of Aquarama after I've paid $300 for 2 fish from the same tank. I later found out the parents were color enhanced fish. The fry I bought never acheived the same color as the parents. Nothing but a clean golden.
    Jimmy.

Registered Member

i don't remember who said it, but it amounted to,
    the only way to make 1 million dollars with discus,
    is to start with 2 million.

Registered Member

Don't let them fool you... it's easy!

Just take a few years and selectively breed some purple discus with blue polk-a-dots or plaid discus with 3 eyes, or... ???

Since it was my idea I get the first batch of fry.

-Andrew

Hi

I like the one that has wings and can fly.

Someone here is breeding it now.

Barron ;D

Hi

Yes you can make a few bucks breeding Discus.

I agree asking other breeders how is not the way.

I do not know of anyone that will show me there tax records and bank accounts. People hide monies or overstate monies all the time, even to there friendly tax advisors. ;D

Also wives 8)

So I would say find some clubs and local breeders and judge the life style they live. This paints a truer picture then asking over the web.

I now were the money hangs out in Daytona, the Yacht Club
    is one place.

No I do not belong. But I had some fun times in the clubs when I had a Capias for a Failed to Appear and he or she kept a boat there.

The Commodore would get me in and I would be an
    out of state relative of his, never any question asked.

I tell you money and sense do not equal allot of times.

So start small and maybe build up.

Down here we have no Discus sellers in the tri-county area.

They all like salts and coral and boats.

And the fish shops forget it.

However I wish I had Disus then, when they are drunk they buy anything for any amt.

Barron 8)

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Making 100% of your living is pretty hard. Most of the breeders that have tried have turned to importing to fill the gaps. You can import the fish for a lot less then you can breed/grow them. Now if you want a hobby that can pay for itself and still make you a little spending money on the side then yes that can be done. All you have to do is keep the water clean and be patient......

-john

Hi

John those are the words, I was looking for.

Well said!

I think most people that make big money, are the ones that come up with a new strain.

And that will take some big front money!

And one still could not hit pay dirt.

I like the hobby, that helps pay for itself.

Barron ;D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast