ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: and now deep....thoughts.......

Default and now deep....thoughts.......

everybody go grab your oldest and latest discus books.

Flip too the wilds section and read up on the browns, now Its gonna say the brown discus is the easiest wild to spawn in captivity, well what the hecK, why would a brown be easier than a blue or green?

now go look at your fish, check out your non-pb reds and browns, you'll notice the females are always redder, or darker san merah, alenquer, rose red etc etc

now we do know that testosterone turns a fish blue and estrogen turns a fish red, so we can kinda assume that red colouring of the females is connected to estrogen in some way.

go look at some wild females of green and blue, there kinda drab and less striated than the males.

so here's my theory, our problem with the difficulty in spawning wilds starts with the fisherman on the amazon, he's chucking the females back into the water because they arent to colourful.

browns and reds are easier to spawn because there is more females for sale in the pet trade because they are more colourful than green or blue females, its simple the odds of pairs is stacked in our favour, hence more spawnings of browns in captivity.

think about it, ever see a female blue-face heckel?
    if you know someone who is spawning wild female blues and greens ask them where they got them from, I'll bet 8 out of 10 times they'll say a lfs, low grade discus but more colourfull than the average wild female.

things that make yea go Hmmmmmmmmmmm ???

Default Re:and now deep....thoughts.......

Wow.....Someone is taking his job seriously.

It makes sense applying laws of nature.

In fact I think I need some drabby color fish for the tank of wilds I have.

Does anyone have any not too colorful fish for sale?

LOL, I NEED TO GET A LIFE :P

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Very good point Jason, i've never thought of it quite that way. Thinking back, i've been fortunate to breed a few wilds . In all cases they were male discus crossed with domestics except 1 brown female i managed to breed from a few times.

Jason,

I meant it as a compliment. I really enjoy reading it. It got me thinking which is a good thing. I am not breeding at the moment but at some point I want to.

So...what if I decided to be the keeper of not-so-colorful-discus? Would I corner the market on females?

I wonder if that would make me the den master of a burlesque house. :spank:

Registered Member

Thanks Jason ..... very good information.... can we say that the rule in wild Discus bright in color are males and less coloful are females ... Thanks ;D

not a rule just a general observation,

Although we can look at S.A. cichlids as a guide, go check out the fish at your lfs severums, green terrors, jack dempseys, managuense, even geophagus and dwarfs.
    you'll notice the males in each species are generally more colourfull, take a look at areas like gill-plates, you'll see more brightly coloured speckels, spangles, and stripes on the males.

Registered Member

Jason, this makes so much sense that it is probably quite likely to be true. Sometimes its the simplest observatons or ideas that are the most revealing and important.

The name of this board, after all, IS SIMPLYdiscus!

Daniel

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

Great info Jason......................now I will go down to my wild tank and look at them a little differently.

Registered Member

Interesting ..... very interesting !!!

Smokey

Interesting thoughts Jason.

In the wild...most of the female birds are drab colored also...The males being the colorful ones as they attract the females during courting.

Your theory makes alot of sense. I had a slightly different one on getting wilds to breed. I thought the time of year they were collected had something to do with there being less wild females collected. Behavior wise many animals change their habits during certains of the year...This usually involves the breeding cycle. males tend to color up more and become much more aggressive..(many birds show this big time). females tend to stay on the side lines... ex.. deer and moose in the rutt. This would put male Discus at much more a predisposition to be caught. Add to it they will start to show much more color. next add to it that male discus may seek out areas to breed...these may be the same trees and stumps they are often netted by.In my tanks have a wild Green male that will repeatedly strike the breeding cone, and try to get the female there.

I think your ideas and mine may go together well .

Does anyone know when the majority of spawning occurs. it would make sense if it started towards the start of the rainy season.Which means the behavior changes I referred to might take place in the dry season...when the waters are low and the fish are easily collected?

I think this as we mimic the onset of the rains when we use large waterchanges and cooler water to trigger spawning. It also makes sense because fry would have an abundance of food .

But I could be way off on my rationale.. would not be the first time.

-al

I like your theory too Al, very sound.

IMO discus will breed anytime conditions are favourable, thats how some people have hatched and raised discus in all kinds of tap water.

I deffinately agree the start of the rainy season is prime time.

The aproach I take to it is, dont be so concerned about low ph and conductivity, just do what good old mother nature does, make conditions very poor for spawning, then make conditions great for spawning.

its not all about ph and conductivity anymore thats too old-school, its about making conditions bad to good, and all the enviromental changes that go along with it!

Registered Member

Jason. That explains the ammonia!

Registered Member

Ammonia --- stop feeding your discus Mexican refryed beans !!!

VERY interesting stuff guys..... i particularly like the theory about making water conditions from bad to good to induce spawning

matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast