ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brew's heckels from Paulio

Default Brew's heckels from Paulio

Hi all,
    I picked these guys up about 6 weeks ago.. watching Franciscos tank of Heckels made me realize how much I enjoy heckels.
    These fish came from Paul , Paulio on this board. This section seems like a good place to post them. I realize they are still young, but I have hopes to breed them. Time will tell. But I am very happy with these fish even if they never breed for me!

and my favorite out of the four I got...

take care,
    al

Registered Member

Default Re:Brew's heckels from Paulio

That indeed is a very nice quad of heckels Al.

Put me on the the list for fry....

Daniel

Registered Member

Sorry brew, I'm just not one for Heckels. BUT.......... those have some nice round body shapes

I got some wilds a while back from Paul as well with some nice yellow/gold back ground color. Paul seems to have a good eye for nice wild discus. I e-mailed him several times before I bought the discus since they were my first wilds. He was always quick to answer. I was very impressed by his quaratine procedure as well.

GARY

Very nice, Al. I e-mailed Paul a while back about some wild angels and he was very informative Glad to have him lurking around the boards! ;D

Ryan

Registered Member

Al,

Fish look great! I am so glad you are happy with them.

Gary,

Thanks for the kind words. Lets see some pics of those babies ;D

Ryan,

Thank you for the kind input as well. I am a hobbyist first above all else. If I cant share what I do know, learn what I dont from others and get the best, healthiest fish I can into others tanks I just wouldnt be happy doin it. Hearing things like this makes it all so much richer ;D

Thanks again all!

Paul

P.S. Hail Hail to Al and Ryan for this incredible board!

very nice Al!

Al, the heckels look great. For anybody who doesn't know, the heckels are the roundest of all the wild discus. There are exceptions but on a whole browns are next, followed by blues and the greens are last. Also heckels have a tendency to look like twins, the others do not.

Wow nice heckles. I bought 2 blue faces ones when I first got wilds. I did not do some well with them. My first casualties actually. The other wilds I got in the group are all doing well and I still have them.

Look at your pics make we want to give it a try again....

Look at your pics make we want to give it a try again....

boy Henry are you in trouble ! If the pics do that... whats going happen when you visit here tomarrow?! ;D ;D ;D

-al

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

Al.............I have a herd of these. Three actually and they are adorable. I have been doing a lot of reading on heckles and it appears that they are more difficult to breed than most. They say that they require a little more acidic water than the other wilds. Is this correct? The other question is : Do you know what river they came from. I purchased mine from Oliver and he informed me that they were from the Rio Maderia. I have started a personal reference collection with pics of the wilds and the rivers they came from.

Paulio ....................great fish.............thanks

Jim

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

I agree the heckels are the best shaped discus, and the 5th body band really makes these fish something to behold. Those 4 you have look beautiful brew, one day i'd also like to attempt what you are doing. I've been waiting for years now to buy f1 heckels, but here in australia i have never seen them offered for sale. One day, i am patient

Brew:Very nice Heckel you have. It's a challenge to breed these fish. They are so perfect and don't need haircuts.

Jim:Heckels do need very acid water. Dennis bred them and they need a Ph very close to 4.0. It's very hard to stablize the Ph at that stage. A little bit of detritus from the pair will crash the Ph in small volume of water. I'm setting up a 120 gal system trying to breed them. No luck so far.
    Jimmy.

Registered Member

Hi all,
    Hey Brew, send some to me and I'll do an experiment on them. ;D They should LOVE my pH in my tank. It hovers in the low 4's range consistantly! I have NEVER(knocking on wood now) had a pH crash. You just have to keep a keen eye on your fish's behavior and watch your water params.

Steve

Wow! Gorgeous fish...I do like heckel's a lot...

Registered Member

Well Al, you got yourself some beuties there !!!
    So that makes it what.....?.....14 heckels at your home now ? Or is my memory wrong and my math of the fuzzy kind ?

I owe you a personal communication soon, hopefully tomorrow. I hope everything is going well at home and the enhanced human family is all good and happy. We have our challenges around here but are generally well.

Cheers, Francisco.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast