AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: why do my discus get scared when i get near?

Registered Member

Default why do my discus get scared when i get near?

hi guys i was just wondering how come everytime i come near my fish tank all my discus swims away from me n all hide in the bak? is there anything wrong wit them? when im not near they swim out n around but once i get near they all get scared n go crazy

Default Re:why do my discus get scared when i get near?

Hi. need more info. how long have you had them? how often are you near them? how many in the tank? what size tank and how old are the fish?
    i would spend more time in front of them. my young ones tank is right by my puter. so they see me here constantly . and those ones are always the friendliest. but also a big group togeather. so everytime they see me they come running up begging. and i also just give them enough to eat in a few minutes. so their always hungry.
    i used to overfeed and there was food left in the tank and so they didnt feel as they needed me.
    so maybe try get them good and hungry then just add a tidbit. then keep adding small amounts when you walk up to the tank. or get a comfy chair and sit there near them as much as possible?
    could be shadows behind you also. then if the sun is behind you then youd look like a big black scary monster. GRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

How long have you had the fish? Do they eat normally?

Most of the time, new fish take a while to get used to their surroundings. New tank, new owner, new routines -- a couple weeks at most.

If the fish are eating, that's a sign that they're at least healthy. It's probably that they're just adjusting. Don't tip-toe around the tank. Go about your tank maintenance and such as you normally would. They'll get used to you eventually. Associate yourself with good things -- drop in a little flake or something when you walk by. They'll learn real quick to associate you with food

There are lots of other things to consider when fish get jumpy, so it may take some more information to figure it out. Sometimes shadows, a pH crash, stray voltage from a bad heater, failing water quality, etc. have a hand in skittish fish. However, most of those can be ruled out very quickly.

Ryan

[quote author=April link=board=1;threadid=11144;start=0#115749 date=1057968963]could be shadows behind you also. then if the sun is behind you then youd look like a big black scary monster. GRRRRRR!!!!!!!![/quote]

LOL aaahhhhh! Scary thought. No wonder my fish have a heart attack when I open my blinds. lol. I can hear their conversations now...

"Oh my God, our walking fish feeder just morphed into that big black scary monster again! Head for the sponge filter!..."

Ryan

Registered Member

thanks for the comment guys

Registered Member

[quote author=April link=board=1;threadid=11144;start=0#115749 date=1057968963]
    Hi. need more info. how long have you had them? how often are you near them? how many in the tank? what size tank and how old are the fish?
    i would spend more time in front of them. my young ones tank is right by my puter. so they see me here constantly . and those ones are always the friendliest. but also a big group togeather. so everytime they see me they come running up begging. and i also just give them enough to eat in a few minutes. so their always hungry.
    i used to overfeed and there was food left in the tank and so they didnt feel as they needed me.
    so maybe try get them good and hungry then just add a tidbit. then keep adding small amounts when you walk up to the tank. or get a comfy chair and sit there near them as much as possible?
    could be shadows behind you also. then if the sun is behind you then youd look like a big black scary monster. GRRRRRR!!!!!!!!
    [/quote]
    i got them for about a week theres 14 in a tank its a 75 gal the fishes r young about 2 months old i think well ill just follow wat u told me c if that works out

[quote author=Ryan Smith link=board=1;threadid=11144;start=0#115753 date=1057969134]
    [quote author=April link=board=1;threadid=11144;start=0#115749 date=1057968963]could be shadows behind you also. then if the sun is behind you then youd look like a big black scary monster. GRRRRRR!!!!!!!![/quote]

LOL aaahhhhh! Scary thought. No wonder my fish have a heart attack when I open my blinds. lol. I can hear their conversations now...

"Oh my God, our walking fish feeder just morphed into that big black scary monster again! Head for the sponge filter!..."

Ryan
    [/quote]

lol that's great!!

Real Name
    Brian

Have you checked your nitrite/nitrate levels?

Brian

Registered Member

yes i have its a 0

Real Name
    Brian

even your nitrates?

Registered Member

yup

Real Name
    Brian

You should at least have some nitrates in the water. I'd test again.

The reason I was asking is because I had a problem with nitrate poisoning. 40-60ppm coming in from tap.

As long as those levels are in check, then I would follow the feeding advice given.

Another help for me was to add a calm fish in with the skittish ones. He taught them to be more relaxed.

2 weeks is relatively new but they should come around soon.

Good luck!

Brian

Zero nitrites and nitrates would indicate no biological activity. Check your ammonium reading, anything over zero will make them act this way.

Registered Member

aite i will check it out