AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This is why heaters fail.

Registered Member

Default Re:This is why heaters fail.

Ah Daniel
    I see from the last picture that your a pink panther fan.....
    dead-ant, dead-ant ......

Hi Dan

Great Photo Dan, I like the idea.

I am not sure either on attaching gold.

I would guess brazing may work.

But most pawn shops sell scrap gold and to clean it is heated, then the surface is netted and filtered clean.

Here is a chart on meatal mealting points.

http://www.kitco.com/jewelry/meltingpoints.html

The repair is great, if one does not have a spare heater and it is night and cold, no stores opened. With Sams nearby now that has helped me in a pinch.

However if the gold lasts alot longer then it may save buying a replacement or two. Now that adds up.

I think, I will try the sliver first, when a heater goes.

Thanks

Barron

Registered Member

Rick. LOL! dead ant.... :

Barron, I suppose if you could figure out a way to fasten the gold or even gold plate the contacts that might be a good alternative. In the long run, though, I don't know how many heaters I'll repair. If I ever come cross gold plated contacts I just might try it.

Daniel

Registered Member

Daniel, thats a great solution to not having a digi camera. I would have never thought of that. As far as silver or gold contacts go, they do provide a lower resistance, but they both have a low melting point, and the arcing that occurs during making and breaking contact, is really hot locally, where it occurs. I am guessing that they will actually be worse as far as wear goes. Platinum contacts, that would be good. Again, I'm guessing, let us know how it works out. Paul

Registered Member

Paul. You bring up a very good point. I guess i was thinking more of corrosion resistance but realize the way you describe that corrosion ain't the issue. Melting point is. I see. That makes a whole lot of sense. Ok, I'll keep my eyes open for platinum contacts....

Registered Member

The heater seems to work fine. The 29 gallon tank has reached 88 degrees and appears to be staying there. This is at ~5 on the dial. I wonder how high i can get the tank temp to? Maybe it will be a good heater for a hospital tank.

Hi

Good deal with platinum,

Will get a heater that lasts like the designers do not want, Yet.

I love beating Throw Away America.

Barron

Registered Member

Very interesting Dan! thanks for sharing! great photography skills too!

Dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead ant, dead aaaaaaant... LOL ;D

so Dan what is the difference between the tsul and the lz model? they still sell both in europe

Registered Member

The models are quite a bit different in their construction, in that the tz model uses brass nuts and bolts to secure essential components like the control arm. The TS uses plastic pins but I can't say that it is any less well constructed. The heater coils are identical and the points look to be the same.

The only thing I can say that the ts model has an advantage is the calibrating system. You simply lift the blue button and adjust. The tz you have to lift off the whole main cap and then adjust. But either way they are both adjustible that way.

Oh and the control rod that you turn when adjusting the temp is brass in the tz and plastic in the ts.

There are some other design features that are different but I'd say that these make no diference to the longevity of the heater. If the main reason for failure is in fact degradation of the points, then the two heaters are the same.

Daniel

Registered Member

Hey there. The talk about melting point got me thinking...so I made repairs to another EBO heater like I did here, but this time I used standard solder. 50/50 lead/tin. I know form experience that this solder melts easier than silver solder.

The heater worked and tested good most of the day yesterday. It remained steady at about 84 degrees. Well this morning I woke up to find the 29 gallon test tank cooking at 97 degrees CRAP! (no fish in the tank phewww!). I took the thing apart just now and I had to gently pry the points apart...they were welded together. So much for that repair.

The other EBO, repaired with silver solder, is still going strong.

So those of you who want to try doing this, don't use regular solder. It seems to be a waste of time.

I'm going to try and locate some tiny stainless steel screws that I could maybe use as contacts, in case the silver points crap out.

Daniel

Uhhh Guys...

First I have to say that you did an excellent Job here Dan with the photos and the info.... just curious though...from a material, and time point of view.. was it worth it ? ;D seems like a lot of work for a a heater that costs $15-20.

My biggest concern with all these heater repair posts is the risk. To fix a faulty heater is great, but does that mean it has a higher probability of failing again?

also. are you risking stray voltage or worse? I can't answer those others questions but on several occasions I have observed a very low tech way of testing for this electrical problem.
    ...I think these observations can be used here as a diagnostic tool.

Do your repairs.
    Put heater in tank
    roll up sleeve
    place hand in water

If shock... theres a major problem

If no shock.. remove hand from water..
    use rubbing alcohol to wipe off an area of your index finger and pinky
    take a brand new razor blade
    wipe with alcohol
    make a small cut on each finger
    insert in water
    If sharp pain...theres a minor electric problem

Trust me it works.. everytime I have ever had a cracked heater or leaky seal.. I have found out about by a cut on my hand.

-al

Registered Member

Hi brew.

yep you are right I kinda eluded to that. Not worth it.

Stray voltage...? yep tested that. but i did not want to encourage people to use the method i use.

I was hoping to find a material to make contact points out of that will permanently repair the heaters....I have at least 35 to 40 heaters, some working some not. My guess is most can be repaired. maybe forever.

Besides, in general, discus keeping...is it worth it? depends what "value" you get from the time and money you spend. In monetary terms....discus ain't woth it by a long shot. but there are other rewards......so they tell me...

I hear yoU Dan, I Hear you!

Guess my problem is I cringe everytime I put a new heater in tank....

you've seen pics of my fishrooms electrical? DIY er I ain't .I wouldn't sleep at night knowing that Brew's "goodwrench Service" repaired the heater in my Discus tanks!

At least if it fails from the MFG I can vent to someone about the shoddy mfg. If i "fixed" the heater in question though..

"yep ...I fixed that there heater good. Before it wouldn't get the water up past 60F, now it goes from 60F to 110F in minutes....Dang I did that good!"...LOL

-al

Registered Member

sleep!? in this hobby?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast