ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus attack each other

Registered Member

Default Discus attack each other

I’m worry because my discus seem to bite/attack each other during feeding time. Why is this happening? Is it because all of them are male? But the biggest one 3.5 inch (snakeskin) seem to ignore the smallest one 2 inch (solid orange). And the rest of them which is blue turquoise like to attack each other. And the snakeskin like to attack the turquoise. Please advice, or I’m just worrying to much?

thanks
    andy

Registered Member

Default Re:Discus attack each other

Normal behaviour for Chichlids my friend its like saying em im the boss dont u dare come over here and try to eat my food and the other is saying em if I want it ill have it .. nothing to worry about they are sorting the pecking order out .. bit like whos the King and who is at the bottom of the pile I wouldnt worry to much about it unless it causes one of them to be forced into a corner and they wont come out or eat ... or they become pyhiscaly damaged

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

IF you have 6 or 12 young discus the aggression is usually spread out and all have a chance to eat. IF you only have 4 discus or less you may have problems as one discus will try to rule the roost. Try feeding at both ends of the tank for now.

Registered Member

thanks angel and carol, there are 9 of them, currently in my tank, i'm a bit curious because they seem very still, they don't swim around the tank, but they will come very fast during feeding time, even when i opened the fridge, they will come forward. and two of them the dorsal fin in slumping, are they healthy? what should i do to make them more happy and swim around the tank? or discus is just like that?

andy

Discus mostly do just hover in the tank. They only swim around looking for food. Healthy, happy discus have their fins erect. Those with their dorsal down could be on the bottom of the pecking order or could be getting sick. Do they eat?

Registered Member

Carol, yesterday all of them are doing fine, but today i saw one of them have white feces, and another one was scrubbing their head. what should i do? should i treat them metro? 250mg/10gal? should i feed them during treatment? do i have to treat them with external parasite as well? all of them are normal and eating, no hiding or changing colors.

please help

Don't be in too big a hurry to add medication to the tank. First line of defense is always extra water changes and cleaning the tank/filters.

Discus may scratch from time to time and may pass clear intestinal lining too.

Watch them to see if scratching several times an hour or always passing clear muscusy, stringlike feces.

Registered Member

Thanks for your advice carol, the one with white feces, doesn't show it anymore, but the other one still scratching, and sometimes shaking its head, and the half end of the tail fin seems to show white color, not clear as usual, should i wait or i could use some salt?is it fin rot? the end of dorsal and analfin show black color and clamped

regards

Salt is a good first treatment coupled with the water changes. REmember to add salt back with the new water. You can use formalin or Quick Cure if you think you have an external parasite - all fish should be scratching

Registered Member

Carol, i started a new topic at
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...82&start=0

i think they got velvet/discus plaque, i attached some pic of them, i added salt and the heater
    Please help
    ???