ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fluoride ? is it in your water?

Default Fluoride ? is it in your water?

Hi all,
    Do any of you have Fluoride added to or found naturally in your water? It is often added by water companies.

Why do I ask?

Turns out Fluoride minimics a growth related hormone TSH, the thyroid-stimulating-hormone.... This is the hormone that in turn control growth...so if its in your water maybe your fish will have nice white teeth and grow a little quicker .

Fluoride has also been shown to increase another growth hormone made by the pituitary gland ...IGF... Insulin -like growth hormone.

a little more background here... IGF-1 is made by the liver from Growth Hormone.

-al

Just something to think about.

Default Re:Flouride ? is it in your water?

Ok....you know what happens when you post something like this Al.

I think I need to buy some stock in Colgate because i can see their demand and sales jumping 10 folds.

Back to the post....

I think water companies do add flouride in the water. I know when I got a copy of the water report. Flouride was in it. As for adding to growth, what kind of concentration is needed before any benifit is seen? Does the hormone have the same effect in fish as humans? Will it have long term effect?

Could any experiment be done where flouride is increase in one tank compared to another?

Hmmm I do have some frys..... Not sure about any extra tanks though.

PS. Do discus have thyroids or pitiutary glands?

Hi Henry,
    I have no idea if the Fluoride will have any effect...theoretically if it mimics a hormone... it will not need a high concentration to have an effect.

I just mentioned it from a "food for thought Point of View"

as for the questions on hormones and fish... Fish respond to hormones exactly like people. Hormones are considered "conserved" across species.. meaning they change little from species to species.

Fish have a pituitary gland.. Its actually what is often ground up and injected into fish that you want to spawn in aquaculture.

Hormones from preganant horses are also used.

there is an inherent problem with fluoride though.. its an antibiotic so its not something you want to increase too much, and its a poision :-\

-al

I have recently been wondering to myself if fluoride in the water could have an effect on ( decrease) Discus fertility...then you post this...hmmmmm, aren't there some links between growth hormone & infertility in other animals? ...........I cannot otherwise understand why healthy discus on urban water supplies that are without other factors like chlorine ( after de-gassing) or choramine seem to more often than not have low or no hatch compared to those on rural well water etc.
    just thinkin' out loud

David

Man and I thought: in the end there IS something good that they add to the water. ???

"there is an inherent problem with fluoride though.. its an antibiotic so its not something you want to increase too much, and its a poision "

Darn you bust my bubble >

j/k
    Ronald

Real Name
    Brian

I believe all water companies un the US started adding flouride to the supply back in the 70's. Seems the tooth cavity rate dropped dramatically when they did that.

Interesting concept about the fish though...

...I just looked at my city's water utility report a day or so ago and saw that there was flouride added to our water supply and was wondering about it...

http://www.fluoridealert.org/

I'm Glad I have a well.

Beat me to it Al....

The next few years will be interesting as the studies on Flouride are completed...

I know a couple of breeders that swear they have congenital defects on fry from Flouride..

RandalB

Al....great link...it mentions neurotoxic effects in rats......could fluoride also be the cause of the famous unknown 'whirling & dashing' problem that sometimes affects one fish in a tank but no others?

" things that make you go HMMM"

:

Real Name
    Brian

Does RO filter out flouride?

RO units remove 93-97% of Sodium Flouride in tap water depending on:

1) Membrane Brand
    2) Water Pressure
    3) Water Temperature
    4) pH of Feed water
    5) TDS of Feed water

RO/DI will remove it completely.

HTH,
    RandalB

Registered Member

Hi all,
    Here's another wrench to throw in the mix. Flouride is THE MOST POWERFUL oxidizer and second is Ozone.

Steve

Default Re:Fluoride ? is it in your water?

From kindergarten through 4th grade or so, they made us "swish-n-spit" this stuff for 45 seconds. They used to bring it in on trays in little cups after lunch and all the kids in the cafeteria would groan and whine. I hated it.

I know they add it to the city water in Pierson, the town just south of me. Sometimes it's so strong there you can taste it in the water. I remember going to a water fountain once and it was like drinking diluted fluoride -- yuck.

I'm glad I have a well, too. That website has some pretty alarming facts on it.

Ryan

Registered Member

Default Re:Fluoride ? is it in your water?

I have no way of proving it, but I have always thought the fluoride in my water is why I get deformed fry if I use tap water at to young of an age.
    Dennis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast