AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: sanitize storage tanks?

Registered Member

Default sanitize storage tanks?

do I have to sanitize my storage tanks. I use them so much they are never empty and I am worried about chlorien makeing it to my tanks and I keep alot of drift wood in them to, I like the color it gives the water and I think my fish like it. on a diffrent note my spelling stinks .

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re: sanitize storage tanks?

Does your tap water contain chlorine/chloramine? If yes, wait to add the dechlor product until right before you change water. the chlorine in the water may do enough to keep your water barrels sanitary . . . unless the wood is decaying . . . .

What size storage container(s) do you have carol? Do they just have a tap at the bottom for you to open and do you fill the buckets up like that?

I might go look for one today

Registered Member

I know this question is for carol but I thought Id answer.I use 50 gal. plastic tanks with two floats (swamp cooler type)one set at 75% one at full after one stops with ro I open the tap water and fill .I use a pump to fill my tanks and one in a waste tank that pumps into a flower bed or sewer if its real cold. the pump in my storage tank goes to pvc with tees and shut offs to fill each tank. no work water changes.

sounds complicated but nice! like the no work water changes. I think i'll have to start with the traditional tap into bucket setup as i'm a novice!

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

I have plastic barrels (50/55 gallon) that used to contain greek olives. They do have spigots at the bottom, but that only works if they are higher than your tanks.

I have pond pumps in each barrel (you could move one pump from barrel to barrel). Each has it's own hose. It's faster for me to have two hoses draining fish tanks and two barrels filling fish tanks. Any more than that and I end up mopping floors, lol.

i'm a visual learner. was wondering if you guys can post pics of this "no work water change" system.