ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flubendazole side effect....

Default Flubendazole side effect....

Hi all,
    Though flubendazole is a safe medication by many accounts and experiences including my own, I have a concern. This past year I have seen several posts where people have asked for help on tail standers. During the discussion it came out that they had recently used flubendazole.

I am wondering if this is a real side effect we should be aware of . If you had fish that exhibited any symptoms of tail standing, head standing, or loss of balence with in 1-2 weeks of treating with flubendazole please post your experiences, including the dose you used and the time you used it.

Part of my concern comes from what I have seen posted here, but also from some telephone conversations I had with people on the board. I question the dose being used also here because, the dose used to be
    1/4 teaspoon per 20 gal when Jehmco sold it last year,

Florida tropical fish farms dose is 1/2teaspoon per 30 Gal., both of these doses are for the same 5% flubendazole... Mfg by chemaqua. That difference in dose could be a problem if there is a side effect in some fish.

Please help the hobby here, and share your experiences with this med. I don't believe its a common side effect, but it may be related to your water chemistry and if we can get a few cases together... maybe we can put together some similarities.

thanks,
    al

There are others as well as those that did not post about it. Coincidence?

-al
    Last edited by Ardan; 02-19-2014 at 07:19 PM.

Registered Member

Default Re:Flubendazole side effect....

I have never experienced that problem. I use 1/4 tsp per 20 first time, then cut back to 1/8 on next dosages. Frank

Registered Member

No problems here. I use the same dosage as Mr. Frank does.

Miles

Hi Al

It worked fine at 1/8 teasppon in food 1/2 given then 12 hrs. later the other 1/2 given.

And that is using 22.2 % panacur.

So that would be equal to a little more then a 1/2 teaspoon of the 5% stuff.

Maybe when adding in water this happens but I add only to food.

Treated well over a month ago, no side effects noted.

Barron

i've never used it on discus, but I did use it on several species of wild apistos. I bought the stuff from ftffa and dosed as they directed. I never had any problems. The fish I treated went on to live and breed just fine. Again it wasn't discus I used it on.

Rich

Hi Barron,
    Flubendazole and fenbendazole are chemically related but not the same. Flubendazole is commonly added to water, and can also be used in food.. But Fenbendazole (panacur) should only be used in the food. ...never add it to the water.

hth,
    al

Used it at same dose as Frank for 21 days. No apparent side effects yet. During treatment had a couple of spawns that fungus. They have just spawn again yesterday don't know it this bunch will, make it. I'll keep you posted.

Dave

Hi Al

Your correct on Panacur, it should only be mixed with food.
    alot of people think they can just add it to the water like
    the 5%.

I wonder if the people with head standing are adding stronger doses and adding to the water. This may affect them. Higher doses in the water may have something to do with it. That is not seen at normal dosage.

Barron

Forever Friends

Hi, I've used flubendazole at 1/4 tsp/20 gals for 11 days (as I recall) for worms with water changes in between dosing. I wiped the sides down and rinsed the sponges regularly. I got a LOT of slime build up in my tank while using flubendazole.

I have lost 8 fish while using flubendazole. Around day 3 - 4 of treatment, the fish all tail stand, they struggle to swim, get themselves up them whirl back to the bottom of the tank. They become so exhausted, then almost lay on the bottom of the tank, they never recover. The last 3 fish I lost were healthy, I decided to deworm them because I hadn't done so, lost them all.

Coincidence? maybe....

Barb

Registered Member

Hey Al,

Interesting topic for discussion!!

My latest treatment with flubendazole was not so good. I used 1/2 tsp per 30 gallon as recommend by Florida tropical fish farm for 21 days. After 2 weeks, I noticed that one of the Discus starting to headstand and struggling to gain it's balance. Heck at times the fish would just float on the water. The Discus is still headstanding and may never recover. Although I have not lost any Discus to flubendazole, I will be using a lower dose next time...if there is a next time!!

Regards, Lester

Registered Member

Hell i should have read this,
    i Treated my 16 discus adult one with Flubendazone and about 6 of them started tail standing.
    Doses were same as jemcho.
    All recovered but one is still tail standing,
    I think there is a connection between flubendazone and tail standing but it may be governed by some other factors.

I'm 15 days into my flubendazole treatment....no head-standing or any other negative effects that I can see...Fish is still not passing feces of the right color though...it's still white...
    david

Hi,
    If the feces are white it could be hex (spironucleus) and Metro works best if it is.
    Is it white and slimy? Fish not eating?

Ardan,
    maybe i should've clarified...the fish isn't passing white feces, it's stomach lining that's coming out...other than that, the fish looks fine...hard to say if he's eating-he's definitely not wasting away or anything...
    david

Hi David,
    Did the fish have hex? Oftentimes stomach lining comes out with that . Or is that a result of worms? Just curious as to why you were using flubendazole and the results.
    thanks

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast