ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Flubendazole side effect....

Registered Member

Default Re: Flubendazole side effect....

It depends for what you are treating. If it is for worms then not necessary to treat for 3 weeks but if you are treating for flukes, that surely require some time.

You are using 10% of what? Flubendazole or fenbendazole?

Quote Originally Posted by mbviola1 View Post
    I am in the process of doing two 100 gallon tanks. It is one week; no side effects except they appear to getting an appetite and stools are becoming normal again. I am using a 10%; 1/2 tsp. to 40 gallons.
    So far so good; what I am surprised about is the length of the treatment that people are doing. Who mentioned 3 weeks on a medication? Kemo?
    Also feed very light and med seems to work fast.
    All but one fish is back to normal and that fish is small and probably not worth anymore work than this.
    Would love to have a dialouge with anyone regarding this and diet.
    Personal messages welcomed.
    Michael

Have started using Kusuri wormer plus..Looks good currently. No headstanding atleast for the moment...Stringy white poo for the one effected...2 days done...

Quote Originally Posted by smiley View Post
    Have started using Kusuri wormer plus..Looks good currently. No headstanding atleast for the moment...Stringy white poo for the one effected...2 days done...
    Isn't Kusuri wormer a food though? I think the side effects were related to Flubendazole being added directly to the water. Could be wrong

Yup, I was wrong. Let us know how it goes!

Eddie
    Last edited by Eddie; 10-22-2009 at 08:23 AM.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Its adding to the water directly...Scary reading all these posts..but had to go through it as we dont get Levamisole here...the effect on this one is immediate..others are eating...have moderate plants in the tank as well...risking the whole tank but need to confirm a lot of things with this process as it was time to deworm all my fishes after all this time...

Just praying everything goes okay...

Quote Originally Posted by smiley View Post
    Its adding to the water directly...Scary reading all these posts..but had to go through it as we dont get Levamisole here...the effect on this one is immediate..others are eating...have moderate plants in the tank as well...risking the whole tank but need to confirm a lot of things with this process as it was time to deworm all my fishes after all this time...

Just praying everything goes okay...
    Yeah, I am sure there alot of variables to consider too, such as make-up of water, temperature, etc.

Praying with you buddy!

Take care,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

I am extreemly grateful that some people have opened discussion on Fenbendazole on a Flubendazole post.

Like our Austrailain friends we cannot get powdered Fenbendazole, its only avaliable as a liquid called Panacur 100 (10%) and I had recently ordered some.

I am not willing to risk this stuff at all anywhere near my apistos or discus.

Is there any thing that Fenben or Fluben is needed for that cannot be sorted with Metronidazole, Praziquantel, Levamisole, fresh garlic or pumpkin seeds?
    The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face!

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo_wh View Post
    I am extreemly grateful that some people have opened discussion on Fenbendazole on a Flubendazole post.

Like our Austrailain friends we cannot get powdered Fenbendazole, its only avaliable as a liquid called Panacur 100 (10%) and I had recently ordered some.

I am not willing to risk this stuff at all anywhere near my apistos or discus.

Is there any thing that Fenben or Fluben is needed for that cannot be sorted with Metronidazole, Praziquantel, Levamisole, fresh garlic or pumpkin seeds?
    Fenben or Fluben will accomplish the same effects as Levimasole and vice versa.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Quick question: how much of a dose for 10% Flubendazole to 5 gallons of water.

I've read 1/4 gram to 5 gallons and 1/2 gram to 5 gallons, does anyone know for sure?

thanks, Joe
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by MGKelly View Post
    Quick question: how much of a dose for 10% Flubendazole to 5 gallons of water.

I've read 1/4 gram to 5 gallons and 1/2 gram to 5 gallons, does anyone know for sure?

thanks, Joe
    Joe,
    I have never used 10% flubendazole( be very sure its not fenbendazole!)

but flubendazole used to be sold as a 5% flubendazole formulation by chemaqua and that was dosed at 1/4 teasoon per 20 gals.
    hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

If what you have is flubendazole the correct dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per 30 gallons (114 litres)

Thanks Guys, I bought the 10% flubendazole online and below are the recommended doses.
    The reason i asked was that these are much higher doses than i've seem recommended elsewhere.
    This is just a copy and past from the website. thanks, Joe

Flubendazole is useful for controlling intestinal parasites. These parasites include most of the nematodes, flukes and protozoa. Flubendazole is active through adsorption into the fish skin and gills. The drug does not have to
    be eaten to be effective. This makes the drug useful for treating fishes which have quit eating due to irritation from infection.
    Effective treatment can be achieved with a dose of 1/2 gram per 5 gallons of treated water. A much higher economical treatment can be achieved by removing half of the water in the treated tank as long as the usual
    aeration and mixing can be maintained.
    First things fi rst, the tank water should be changed. It is not necessary to clean the tank, just change the water, all of it. After treatment, change it again. The bodies of the dead animals need to be removed. Also, it is best to
    have live wiggling or jumping food in front of the patients as they recover so have live baby brine shrimp or worms ready for the treated fishes.
    Add 1/4 teaspoon of the medication for each 5 gallons of tank water. It may fl oat for a while, but it needs to be mixed into the tank water, swirl it in to dissolve. Hydra, Ick and Velvet take three days to remove. Heximeta
    may take three doses to remove completely over five to seven days to complete. Three days after the first treatment change the water again. Add another dose of 1/4 teaspoon/5 gal. to the fresh water. Change the water
    a second time after 5 to 7 days.
    This should take care of everything. A third dose after three or four weeks will insure the treatment, but usually isnʼt necessary unless symptoms reappear.
    MOLON LABE

i just realized that we're using two different measurements - teaspoons and grams.
    So one teaspoon = 4.2 grams,
    1/4 gram per 5 gallons or 1/4 teaspoon per 20 gallons.

Thanks for the help, you guys either give me the answer or help me work through.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by MGKelly View Post
    Thanks Guys, I bought the 10% flubendazole online and below are the recommended doses.
    The reason i asked was that these are much higher doses than i've seem recommended elsewhere.
    This is just a copy and past from the website. thanks, Joe

Flubendazole is useful for controlling intestinal parasites. These parasites include most of the nematodes, flukes and protozoa. Flubendazole is active through adsorption into the fish skin and gills. The drug does not have to
    be eaten to be effective. This makes the drug useful for treating fishes which have quit eating due to irritation from infection.
    Effective treatment can be achieved with a dose of 1/2 gram per 5 gallons of treated water. A much higher economical treatment can be achieved by removing half of the water in the treated tank as long as the usual
    aeration and mixing can be maintained.
    First things fi rst, the tank water should be changed. It is not necessary to clean the tank, just change the water, all of it. After treatment, change it again. The bodies of the dead animals need to be removed. Also, it is best to
    have live wiggling or jumping food in front of the patients as they recover so have live baby brine shrimp or worms ready for the treated fishes.
    Add 1/4 teaspoon of the medication for each 5 gallons of tank water. It may fl oat for a while, but it needs to be mixed into the tank water, swirl it in to dissolve. Hydra, Ick and Velvet take three days to remove. Heximeta
    may take three doses to remove completely over five to seven days to complete. Three days after the first treatment change the water again. Add another dose of 1/4 teaspoon/5 gal. to the fresh water. Change the water
    a second time after 5 to 7 days.
    This should take care of everything. A third dose after three or four weeks will insure the treatment, but usually isnʼt necessary unless symptoms reappear.
    MOLON LABE

Hey Joe,
    can you post a link to the place you're buying the flubendazole? Or just the name would do. I've been looking for a place to buy it at a reasonable price for a while now.
    Thanks,
    Kacey

PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by kaceyo View Post
    Hey Joe,
    can you post a link to the place you're buying the flubendazole? Or just the name would do. I've been looking for a place to buy it at a reasonable price for a while now.
    Thanks,
    MOLON LABE

Real Name
    Francis

A link will be nice as Flubendazole is hard to find in the States/Canada.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast