ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Flubendazole side effect....

Default Re: Flubendazole side effect....

Quote Originally Posted by Ardan View Post
    Hi,
    If the feces are white it could be hex (spironucleus) and Metro works best if it is.
    Is it white and slimy? Fish not eating?
    Where can I buy Metro?

Registered Member

I just bought it from UK called WORMER PLus and I got it from discus south.
    just google it out. It needed a little time for delivery after the payment was through per paypal.
    but I think 3 weeks for the whole transaction and for something coming from UK is still pretty good and was absolutely no problem at all to get it.

Sigh i got head standing after this med

Quote Originally Posted by piannino View Post
    Sigh i got head standing after this med
    How did you use it and what are your water parameters?
    Kacey

In addition to what Kacey asked I'd like to know about your tank and it's maintenance too.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Just to be clear Discus Plus contains Flubenol which has been used for deworming for many years totally different drug other than sounding somewhat the same I think here lies the confusion. Fish Health talks to flubenol and treatment and people are assuming its flubendazol which is not available in North America.
    v

Quote Originally Posted by danjadragonfly View Post
    I just bought it from UK called WORMER PLus and I got it from discus south.
    just google it out. It needed a little time for delivery after the payment was through per paypal.
    but I think 3 weeks for the whole transaction and for something coming from UK is still pretty good and was absolutely no problem at all to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Archer View Post
    Just to be clear Discus Plus contains Flubenol which has been used for deworming for many years totally different drug other than sounding somewhat the same I think here lies the confusion. Fish Health talks to flubenol and treatment and people are assuming its flubendazol which is not available in North America.
    v
    Actually, Flubenol is a brand of flubendazol. The confusion your speaking of may be between flubendazol and fenbendazol, both worm meds and they do sound alike but are very different in practice.
    Kacey

I just want to make a couple points regarding flubenadazole and its growing successful use.

The post below, made in August 2010, quotes what is now outdated information regarding dosage and was actually written by a Dr. in Missouri that can supply 10% Flubendazole for aquarium use. That article was written first for 5% Flu powder and we have since learned that even that dosage was twice the required amount. All the other info. in that article (except dosage) is still pertinent and for that reason is still on the seller's website. The current recommended dosage for 10% powder is
    1/8Tsp (US) per 10gal.

I frequently come to SD, not only because I have raised Discus in the past and will in the future, but my body of knowledge for Angelfish (and fishkeeping generally) is enhanced by the knowledge shared on this forum. Perhaps the knowledge can flow both ways.

Many breeders of Angelfish have increasingly used Flubenadazole with good success when treating for internal and external parasite including flukes, tapeworms, etc. with few adverse effects. The most common adverse effect is shedding of slime coat caused by overdose and/or insufficient mixing into solution with tank water. To my knowledge no head or tail standing has been reported in Angelfish. The drug also has benefits in that it does not harm the biological filter.

I have used on breeding Angels with no adverse effect upon spawning, in fact spawning generally increases. I regularly use as a preventative on nickel to quarter size juvenile Angels to assure they are "clean" prior to sale, with excellent results.

I have found a few important keys to safely and effectively administer Flubendazole:

1) mix 4 parts powder with 1 part Vodka or Scotch (I'm serious) and perhaps a ml (or two) of tank water to make a slurry. The spirits act as a solvent and will greatly enhance the drug's ability to go into solution with the tank water;

2) add the slurry very gradually to the tank water, perhaps 1/2ml at a time. What you're looking for is to gradually create the resultant "fog" in the tank. Adding rapidly, or when not mixed well, is when burns occur and the slime coat sheds - especially when a curious fish swims into a heavy dose. The initial fog created once the full dose is in will dissipate over several hours - at 12 hours the water is only slightly hazy; &

3) The treatment only needs to be administered for 72hrs.. Then a water change should be done and 48hrs observation. If heavy fluke infestation or hexamita, additional treatments may be required. If caught early, most parasites are cleared after 72hrs with tapeworms and some others obviously expelled after 24 hrs.

Note: Flubendazole is absorbed into the tissues, so when properly put into solution (as noted in 1 and 2) it can be more effective without ill effects. Please let me know if the above helps to successfully treat our treasured Discus

Quote Originally Posted by MGKelly View Post
    Thanks Guys, I bought the 10% flubendazole online and below are the recommended doses.
    The reason i asked was that these are much higher doses than i've seem recommended elsewhere.
    This is just a copy and past from the website. thanks, Joe

Flubendazole is useful for controlling intestinal parasites. These parasites include most of the nematodes, flukes and protozoa. Flubendazole is active through adsorption into the fish skin and gills. The drug does not have to
    be eaten to be effective. This makes the drug useful for treating fishes which have quit eating due to irritation from infection.
    Effective treatment can be achieved with a dose of 1/2 gram per 5 gallons of treated water. A much higher economical treatment can be achieved by removing half of the water in the treated tank as long as the usual
    aeration and mixing can be maintained.
    First things fi rst, the tank water should be changed. It is not necessary to clean the tank, just change the water, all of it. After treatment, change it again. The bodies of the dead animals need to be removed. Also, it is best to
    have live wiggling or jumping food in front of the patients as they recover so have live baby brine shrimp or worms ready for the treated fishes.
    Add 1/4 teaspoon of the medication for each 5 gallons of tank water. It may fl oat for a while, but it needs to be mixed into the tank water, swirl it in to dissolve. Hydra, Ick and Velvet take three days to remove. Heximeta
    may take three doses to remove completely over five to seven days to complete. Three days after the first treatment change the water again. Add another dose of 1/4 teaspoon/5 gal. to the fresh water. Change the water
    a second time after 5 to 7 days.
    This should take care of everything. A third dose after three or four weeks will insure the treatment, but usually isnʼt necessary unless symptoms reappear.
    Last edited by jpdevol; 12-26-2010 at 12:09 AM.

Registered Member

Where can I get this in the US? Did a quick google search to no avail.
    do not pretend conclusions are certain that are not demonstrated or demonstrable

Quote Originally Posted by jpdevol View Post
    I just want to make a couple points regarding flubenadazole and its growing successful use.

The post below, made in August 2010, quotes what is now outdated information regarding dosage and was actually written by a Dr. in Missouri that can supply 10% Flubendazole for aquarium use. That article was written first for 5% Flu powder and we have since learned that even that dosage was twice the required amount. All the other info. in that article (except dosage) is still pertinent and for that reason is still on the seller's website. The current recommended dosage for 10% powder is
    1/8Tsp (US) per 10gal.

I frequently come to SD, not only because I have raised Discus in the past and will in the future, but my body of knowledge for Angelfish (and fishkeeping generally) is enhanced by the knowledge shared on this forum. Perhaps the knowledge can flow both ways.

Many breeders of Angelfish have increasingly used Flubenadazole with good success when treating for internal and external parasite including flukes, tapeworms, etc. with few adverse effects. The most common adverse effect is shedding of slime coat caused by overdose and/or insufficient mixing into solution with tank water. To my knowledge no head or tail standing has been reported in Angelfish. The drug also has benefits in that it does not harm the biological filter.

I have used on breeding Angels with no adverse effect upon spawning, in fact spawning generally increases. I regularly use as a preventative on nickel to quarter size juvenile Angels to assure they are "clean" prior to sale, with excellent results.

I have found a few important keys to safely and effectively administer Flubendazole:

1) mix 4 parts powder with 1 part Vodka or Scotch (I'm serious) and perhaps a ml (or two) of tank water to make a slurry. The spirits act as a solvent and will greatly enhance the drug's ability to go into solution with the tank water;

2) add the slurry very gradually to the tank water, perhaps 1/2ml at a time. What you're looking for is to gradually create the resultant "fog" in the tank. Adding rapidly, or when not mixed well, is when burns occur and the slime coat sheds - especially when a curious fish swims into a heavy dose. The initial fog created once the full dose is in will dissipate over several hours - at 12 hours the water is only slightly hazy; &

3) The treatment only needs to be administered for 72hrs.. Then a water change should be done and 48hrs observation. If heavy fluke infestation or hexamita, additional treatments may be required. If caught early, most parasites are cleared after 72hrs with tapeworms and some others obviously expelled after 24 hrs.

Note: Flubendazole is absorbed into the tissues, so when properly put into solution (as noted in 1 and 2) it can be more effective without ill effects. Please let me know if the above helps to successfully treat our treasured Discus
    Thank you for this very informative post!
    -jim
    President NADA

SOS Crew - Texas

UK/Europe Source for 5% Flubendazole http://wormerplus.co.uk/retail_shop/...p?categoryID=2

hmm.. not sure what happened or what went wrong in my deworming process..I dose my tank and all fish react fine except one who was very healthy active and eating..next day appears with very dark bars..I leave the med in water for 48 hours like directions say and do 95% wc after 48 hours.. discius remain dark barred and don't eat. couple days later, dead???
    Jennie,

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

Sorry to hear that Jennie,
    If only one discus reacted that way I'd say it had what amounts to an alergy to the med. There are always some bad reactions to any med by a small percent of those treated.
    Are there any other reasons you can think of for this to have happened?
    Kacey

I first soak food in it and not all fish eat, so I dosed water instead, that is when fish turned dark. of 18 fish only this one in tank got sick in less than day
    Jennie,

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast