AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AUGUST 2003 MEMBER SPOTLIGHT - JERRY BAER

Registered Member

Default AUGUST 2003 MEMBER SPOTLIGHT - JERRY BAER

Heeeeeere's Jerry:

Q - Well, Jerry, you are the first member I have interviewed for a spotlight whose house I have been to and I have an idea about what to ask, so this should be fun. I have to say, I was extremely impressed with your fish, your set up and your knowlegde about the fish.

Please tell us all a little about yourself. I know you are married and have a couple of dogs in addition to the fish. By the way, say 'Hi' to Lori for me. Do you have any other hobbies? Any significant non-discus achievements you want to brag about?

A -I'm married and my wifes name is Lori. We have no kids, but we do have 2 dogs and 1 cat. The dogs are German pinchers which are in between a doberman pincher and a miniture pincher in size. If you call the Grateful Dead a hobby I have seen them over 100 times in concert. Growing up in Philadelphia I played a lot of ice hockey. I'm now giving back as a local roller hockey coach. In eleven seasons I have taken 8 teams to the championship. I have won the championship 5 times. I also want to mention that August 22 is my birthday.

Q - How did you get into discus? Where was the first discus you saw? How long had you been into fish first?

A - My father bought our family our first fishtank in 1969 when I was 10. I saw my first discus at Martins Aquarium in Philly, and they were browns. I bought my first 2 discus in 75 or 76. They lasted less than a month. They were browns about 2 inches and cost $2 a piece. This is back when cardinal tetras were selling for 10 for a buck retail. There was no information available to me at the time on how to care for them.

I kept fish tanks even after I moved to Florida for college. I was even into salt water tanks for about 5 or 6 years. In 92 I saw an ad in the newspaper for discus. I called and went to visit. The persons name was Bruce and he was Jack Wattleys partner. He told me to make my tank at home 86 with a ph of 6.6 and then call back. He also told me about frequent water changes. I bought 10 red-turquoise for $15 each and he gave me 2 extra. They had pandas at that time for $100 each, I didn't buy any. I've kept discus ever since.

Q - What were the major obstacles involved in setting up your fish room in your garage? Any specific challenges that needed to be overcome and how did you do it? Which reminds me - when are you going to get that MONSTER acryllic tank up and running? And please tell us a little about that tank.

A - When we bought out house my only requirement was it have a garage. There were no problems when turning the garage into a fish room. We added extra electrical outlets, coated the floor, put in an a/c duct and drilled two holes in oppisite outside walls. I do hand syphon a small amount off the bottom of my tanks. But most drains thru the walls onto the lawn with the help of valves.

The monster tank you saw is a used 220 acrylic (72 x 24 - 30t) with a 55 acrylic sump. I bought it used but have never set it up. It's on the "to do" list.

Q - How many fish do you currently have? What strains are you the most happy with? What strain/s do you like best, personally? In particular, how's the leopard that you got at Wattley's when I was there with you doing?

A - I have about 40 adult discus, and I like RSG's the best with heckels probably next. The leopard SS is now about 5 inches and fully spotted. John and I saw it at Wattleys when it was only about 1 1/2 inches. I will try to provide a picture.

Q - Any tips on breeding or raising discus?

A - As far as breeding or raising discus. I just believe in starting with good healthy stock in the beginning. My job is just to take care of the water and feeding, The fish will then do the rest.

Q - What do you feed your discus?

A - Breakfast is a mixture of color bits and Ocean Nutrition formula one small pellets. Dinner is a mixture of frozen foods (blooworms, mysis shrimp, plankton and O. N. formual one) For dessert they get some live blackworms.

Q - What is your most exhilarating moment with discus?

A - The two most exhilarating moments are when a pair breeds, and those times you walk into the fish room and every fish seems to be glowing.

Q - What is your most frustrating moment with discus?

A - Frustration is when a great fish wastes away over a couple of months and then dies. It seems like nothing you do helps. Luckily it has only happened a couple of times and not in a long time.

Q - I know you are running your tanks with peat now and when I was there all of them were looking super healthy. Tell us a little more about your peat system - how much you use and how often you change the peat. This is actually a little selfish because I am thinking about giving peat a try, after a conversation with Al.

A - I set up my storage water with peat . After it goes thru double 10 inch filters it goes thru peat. I either use refillable 10 inch filter cartridges or an 18 inch tall by 6 inch diameter tank. The water does a single pass so it does not turn real dark. It softens the water, lowers the conductivity and the ph. Peat is exhausted when it stops lowering the conductivity. Peat will work differently for each person. since we all have different water perameters to start with. If your water is real hard it might not work for you.

Q - Do you have any future discus plans that you would like to share with us?

A - My only future plans is to set up that monster tank. To do it I will have to take apart an existing tank that is over 100 gallons. Plus I will need a couple of friends to help me lift everything.

Q - How do those in your life feel about discus? I know Lori seems very supportive.

A - My wife is real supportive of my discus hobby. She also likes all my friends with fish and likes listening to our "fish tales". Her father feeds my fish when we go on vacation.

Q - Do you have any funny, amusing or interesting discus stories to share with us?

A - No real funny or amusing stories. Probably the same story as everyone else about flooding something at one time or another.

Q - Do you have any thanks or credit to give for your success with discus? Any mentors or colleagues who you think deserve some kudos?

A - The two people that have probably helped the most were Jack Wattley's partner Bruce, whos last name I can't recall. Also Marc Weiss at different times when I needed information. All my discus friends and of course (you all know who you are) are as passoionate about the hobby as I am.

Q - What do you see as the future of discuskeeping? More/less people? Any cool ideas for strains?

A - When I got into discus there was no internet for help just books to read. I think now with the internet and this forum discus keeping is now easier. As long as you do your homework you will succeed. I think more people who get into discus will stay with discus.

Q - Can you think of anything I left out you would like to bring up - either personally or discus related?

A - If anyone visits South Florida they can email me to see my fish. They can also get some free Italian ice or ice cream at my stores. Also a lot of times I'm able to go with you to visit Wattley discus or Aquatechnics.

Q - Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer these questions. Remember, dinner at Sandra's parents again next year - maybe this time you'll get the gnocchi!

A - Thanks, John.

P.S. I will try to post some new pictures. If possible include a link to my thread in the, from the source section. It's titled do heckels breed. There are some good pictures of heckels breeding.

Registered Member

Default Re:AUGUST 2003 MEMBER SPOTLIGHT - JERRY BAER

Here's a link to Jerry's Thread on "Do Heckels Breed?"

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...=11235;start=0

God I love these interviews! Its great to get a glimpse at everyones experiences here.

Thanks again John, I know you are busy and yet you always come thru with these interviews. One of these years we'll make it down to join you all at Sandras parents.

Jerry,
    I've known you for a few years on the boards now. Thanks for giving all of us some additional insight on your life with discus.

take care,
    al

Great Interview guys.

Jerry,

I am regretting more and more about not being able to make it to your place. I would love to have seen your set up. I can only imagine how beautiful the fish are. But alas I was on my honeymoon and what can you do. I guess there is always next year. This time no excuse or I will have to get my cave man club out of the closet if my wife makes a peep.

Henry

Very nice guys. Thank you.

Hi all,

Great interview guy's

If you are in S. FL.,want to meet a nice guy, see some nice fish and eat some nice Icecream, Jerry is the man ;D

Hey, I am still working on a cue to get that 220gal Tank. lol

Ronald

where is the discus pics? ;D ;D

Here are a couple of pictures, but you also need to click on the link in reply one.

Heres another picture. Just be patient and I will try and take some new ones over the weekend.

Great interview jerry. aka Yogi.
    can you im me some of that ice cream? ive heard alot about it.
    not sure id get down there ..but sounds like you have some very nice fish and setup.
    keep up the good work.
    thanks John once again.

I'm comming too see you!

free ice cream :P

great interview guys!

Registered Member

Thanks for the time and the insight, Jerry. Good luck.

Mat

Registered Member

Yogi,
    Great spotlight and love the wilds....always interesting to hear more about some of the special members....I have never had an Italian Ice and now my curiosity is up....gonna find some to try... ;D

Regards,
    Tad

I know it's pictures everyone likes to see, so here comes some. just a group

leopard x turq. with regular leopards in the back

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast