SS = Snakeskin
    RSS = Red Snakeskin
    BSS = Blue Snakeskin
    BP = Blue Panda
    RP = Red Panda
    RSG = Red Spotted Green
    RT = Red Turk
    BT = Blue Turk

And the others escape me at this time of the morning. ???

Judi

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:Some of what I've learned...

GD, Gold Diamond
    OG, Ocean Green
    GM, Gold Melon (?)

Registered Member

Default Re: Some of what I've learned...

It's a smart man that LEARNS!
    I just found this forum today, I'm wanting to get back into discus after taking a hiatus from aquaria for a few years. I kept them and (unplanned) bred them for years, but there's so much to re-learn and new stuff that's come out, as well as what I never learnt the first time.

Registered Member

Angry Re: Some of what I've learned...

hope you can help but do you know why discus fish shake i am new to this thing

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

They can shake or shimmy for several reasons. Constipation from overeating, parasites will make them twitchy and of course they shimmy in front of the breeding site.

Registered Member

Great post....seems like I have lots to learn over the next year. I'm a newbie to discus, read up lots on here and other forums, but my disucs are less than 2 weeks (here) old.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carol_Roberts View Post
    QT= quarantine.
    Keeping new stock in a seperate tank with seperate equipment from your existing tank. WAsh your hands between working on new QT tank and your existing tanks.
    do you need to QT discus if your tank has no discus in it, but it has other fish in it, but not discus?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by lilim10 View Post
    do you need to QT discus if your tank has no discus in it, but it has other fish in it, but not discus?
    Yes, you do. The general rule is to quarantine all discus regardless of what other fish are in the tank for a minimum of six weeks.

Registered Member

Thanks for the advise

Registered Member

hey Brian, can i use your books and notes. hope i can learn as much as you, im newbie and reading all threads in this forum. soo much information and i havent even started my 1st tank. looking forward to get going....any and all suggestions appreciated. thanks barney

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Hi all,

July 30th marked the 1 year anniversary of my discovery of Simply. I've been thinking about all the time I've spent here and what I've learned and I thought I'd jot a few things down...

I've learned :

...this hobby requires more than just a tank and some fish. It requires patience, understanding and dedication, even through the tough times, which are bound to happen to almost everyone at some point in time.

...discus come in more than the old "blue-faced browns".

...I now know what a PB is, as well as a RD, BD, VR, SS, RSS, BSS, BP, RP, BC, RSG, GD, OG, GM, RT, BT, as wells as Ph, Kh, Ms, TDS etc... ;D

...there are a wide variety of illnesses out there that can be avoided simply by understanding the nature of the hobby and the fish.

...treatment for hex is a little more than just dumping a medicine in the tank that says it cures hex.

...hex can be caused by many things, including stress, water conditions, food, shipping, bullying and even the wrong location in the house.

...different internal problems are treated by different meds. Ex: A med for hex may not treat for tapeworm, however a med for tapeworm can also treat for flukes.

...just because your fish get sick does not necessarily mean it's your fault. Many things can factor in such as food, water and the fish itself.

...if someone asks advise for an illness in their tanks, don't give technical advise unless you're positive of the advise you have to offer. The wrong meds can do more harm than good. Always feel free to prescribe salt though

...salt is miracle cure for a lot of ailments.

...this hobby is not cheap, but then again what hobby is?

...most questions can be anwsered immediatly by using the "search" button at the top of the page, BUT there are many experienced people here that are more than willing to lend a helping hand and answer your questions. Take advantage of their generosity!

...there are several people that live near me that have actually heard of discus, including one who has both the honor and inconvenience of being half a world away putting his life on the line for many months now. Many wishes for a safe return, my friend!!! If there's anything you or your family needs while you're away, I hope you know all you need to do is say so!

...there are a lot of people in this hobby that I hope to meet face to face someday. I can almost say for certain that if I'm traveling just about anywhere (even overseas) then there is someone who will offer me a place to stay. The same goes for anyone visiting my area!

...discus can be shipped through the mail ???

...always research who you plan on buying from. There are great people out there selling discus, as well as many who only want the sale. Be picky!!!

...don't expect your discus to look exactly like the one on the web-site.

...there are many diseases that can come with discus; some can be transmitted to people. Again, research your breeder!

...always QT your new arrivals, no matter who they come from!

...don't mess with the water too much. Discus can thrive in most water conditions. The best Ph is a stable Ph.

...don't let your stupid friends dump their drink in your tank. Discus only drink water! >

...breeding discus is totally different than raising discus.

...food and water quality are the most important factors in raising a large and healthy discus. Clean water and a varied diet = happy and healthy fish.

...flukes can be an irritation to adult discus, but are deadly to fry and they exist in almost every discus tank and are virtually impossible to irradicate

...discus are almost a good as puppies when it comes to impressing dates ;D

Oh well. I guess my learning of this hobby is the best way I can say thanks to Simply and it's members, expecially the moderators and owners who make it all happen!

Brian
    Great post Jeep. I realize now that keeping discus is NOT for me. Geesh, I just wanted some nice fish to look at. It seems like keeping discus is a JOB. You have to be dedicated and spend a lot of time with fish. This sounds too BORING and a waste of time for me. I have too many other things going on in my life than to spend all that time with fish. A dog is a lot less trouble and a LOT MORE FUN!! You can also hug and play with a dog. Fish are really boring and a pain in the butt if you travel a lot like I do. Anyone want to buy a used aquarium and all of the junk that goes with it. Aquariums are for people that don't have a life!!

Registered Member

nice one, prevention is better than cure
    how bout this one did u know that if u turn off your system longer than half an hour all your good nitrobacteria dies!!
    no shiet, they need oxy in the water to live, scary hey

thanks for the good read and thread. I'm new to the Discus world and this will come in handy.

Real Name
    Linda

Thanks Brian for that great insight of your past year. I too have been doing this for a year as well and have learned a lot too. I just recently started on Simply and feel that I have gained a new friend by getting on with people who understand.

Good luck for the future of your discus
    Linda

I am only in the beginning of whole of that, amazing feeling!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast