ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plants For A Discus Tank

Default Plants For A Discus Tank

Discus require higher temperatures and here i have a list of plants that will be able to stand these temperatures!!

Spatterdock
    Java / Lace Ferns
    Java moss
    Dwarf Lily
    Vals
    Ruffle Swords
    Crypts
    Jade Swords
    Rangeri Swords
    Dwarf & Tall Subulata Sag
    Red Melon Swords
    Heteranthera
    Didiplis Diandra
    Hygrophila
    Rotala Indica
    Anubias
    Ruffle Sword
    African Bolbitus
    Ozelot Sword

Hope this helps when you start your Planted Discus Tank

Registered Member

Default Re:Plants For A Discus Tank

thanks

this is some useful info

luke

Registered Member

This is what I posted in General when this was asked.

Why not just try whatever plants catch your eye? In reality there are few plants that wont do pretty well in a Discus tank. Most plants like slightly harder water (more nutrients ) and a temp of 78-80 but most will adapt to given conditions. I mean plants have been around a LONG LONG time and have gotten pretty good at surviving less that optimum condidtions Aside from that every tank takes on its own character and will grow some plants better than others. Just go for it! Try out what you like and see what grows well for you. This of course is from my own personal experience.
    Paul

Registered Member

I would agree with you that plants can adapt to different environments, but why go through the exercise? Especially for newcomers to the planted aquarium w/ discus. Plants cost as much as fish. Why waste money on plants that aren't going to thrive in a discus tank? Better off spending money on more discus. ;D ;D ;D

Registered Member

Luckily most of the hardy "beginner" plants are also the ones which will do well in a discus aquarium. The above list is great and I would recommend every plant on it. I've got to run to class so I'll have to post others later.

Paulio's also right. Most plants will do ok in the higher temps, with some exceptions, but it's better to get some experience keeping hardy plants before getting into soem of the others.

Registered Member

HI guys!

In my oppinion (which in the end is probably wrong one)it is more depending on conditions than species. Naturally the ones that hate high temperature do not look so good as in normal conditions but if you REALLY LIKE THE PLANT it can be done. Then again I must say that have not tryed every plant (far from it, around 50 sp perhaps) so I may have been lucky to have kept very tolerable plants. But have not met a sword or crypto that can't be kept in high temperature. Sometimes it requires a lot of experimenting with light, CO2 level etc but finally I have always found condition that works. Some swords even like different nutrients than other. Still- would anybody add some gold fish genes to discus (so that looks would stay but colder temp-s would be welcome) 8)

These are just my observations, you guys know better. Which species can't be kept in say 30C? So I could avoid them in the future.

Real Name
    Walter

I've never been able to keep ludwigia glandulosa/ perennis alive for a long time in any of my discus tanks. Even Kasselmann says this plant doesn't like high temperatures (page 350 of her Aquarium Plants book).

Nice looking plant though:

http://www.tropica.com/productcard_1.asp?id=035A

Yeah, i never have either, i tried it two times, but they just die off, i think it's becasue they nedd A LOT of LIGHT and Cooler temperatures!! But theres other pretty reddish plants, that can survive in discus tanks

Registered Member

Have not had the pleasure to own such plant. But the mark is "difficult". Perhaps not the temperature but something else is causing this problem? Just a thought. Remark "slow growth" gives an idea that low nitrates are probably not the problem. During my hobby I have noticed for example that some plants like longer days some shorter. Some even close up no matter that it is still "noon". Some plants die if the lighting is not extremely strong. Sometimes reddish plants require very strong light in discus tanks rarely seen.

Best regards,
    Ailar

Registered Member

Is there a plant that a uaru would leave alone?

Registered Member

I had Uarus for a long time and they were quite amazing when it came to feeding. I gave them beef heart with spinach and a couple of leaves of fresh lettuce every day (and a bunch more on a varied schedule). I just placed whole leaves of the lettuce in the tank and the Uaru would serve themselves. The Uarus also kept a school of black neon tetras in check by picking off a few of them every once in a while. Even though they got plenty of greens each day, I was still not able to keep any plants at all for an extended period of time. If you try, my advice is that you go for plants with harder leaves. Swordplants and Vallisnerias were very short-lived. Some Anubias plants lived a bit longer, but as soon as a new leaf appeared it was eaten. Even the onion plant, Crinum Thaianum, was eaten after period of time, even though it is said to have a bad taste to it.
    So, in short, I have never seen a plant survive a Uaru fish.

Registered Member

There is only one plant that survives in Uaru tank- plastic one. 8)

Registered Member

[quote author=aix link=board=7;threadid=12121;start=0#131537 date=1063789119]
    There is only one plant that survives in Uaru tank- plastic one. 8)
    [/quote]

LOL! That's what I'm afraid of! Oh well.....

Real Name
    Walter

Ailar, regarding that ludwigia glandulosa/ perennis - I've got enough over my discus tanks to keep rotala macrandra growing (about 3 watts per gallon in some tanks). Lighting is not a problem. ;D

Registered Member

Guess not. Can't explain.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast