ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Plants For A Discus Tank

Default Re:Plants For A Discus Tank

Growing out of the water - lol

Kerry

I only have a fine layer of gravel and the plants are just in pots or on driftwood and the ambulia in my other tanks are just weighed down with plant anchors - as theyre bare bottomed. Not in pots or anything.

Good plant I reckon.

Lucky that cyclone didnt hit Mattrox. Was worried about you guys up there -Ari was real worried.

Kerry

Registered Member

I do have some ambulia. It is going mad in my guppy pot. It looks great in your tank!

I couldn't resist and went back to Bunnings. The didn't have anymore Echinodorus. But they had 2 Anubias. They were labelled Anubias Lanceolata. I got the better looking plant. I'll post a photo.

When I repotted it for the aquarium there was mud (anoxic) under the laterite/sand that it was planted in. Well it is potted more suitably for a fish tank now.

Registered Member

Ok so I'll post a second pic.

Registered Member

[quote author=yippy link=board=7;threadid=12121;start=15#msg155858 date=1072227395]

Ive posted this over at simplycichlids too - no-one in the states seems to have heard of it. [/quote]

I looked it up in "Aquarium Plants: Their identification, cultivation and ecology" Rataj & Horeman 1977. ( A little old but very useful book. I am sure there is a later addition, but this is what I have.) Maybe the reason that they haven't heard of it is because its scientific name is Limnophila heterophylla?

Hi Mattrox,

This is it - theres 2 different types

Limnophila aquatica (Giant Ambulia)
    Limnophila sessiliflora (Ambulia)

Kerry

Registered Member

Ambulia's a great plant to have in a discus tank, it's a terrific nutrient sponge. I had some take over a third of my 90g in about three weeks one time.

Mattrox, yes, that's an Echinodorus osiris. Thanks, I couldn't remember the specific name earlier.

If anyone's interested in a great plant book, check out Christel Kasselmann's book "Aquarium Plants". It's got just about every plant available in the hobby, plus many which aren't.

if you want a plant to grow like crazy, i have the perfect plant...Wisteria i think it is atleast, Mench gave me some in September when i broguth home my FIRST discus and now it took over the tank and is growing out of the water... matter of fact, i should go cut it becuase not much light is getting trhough to the other plants, oops!

Registered Member

Hi all;
    Could some one explain what is "watt per gallon" mean, I may understand the distance between the light and the plants but have no idea why gallon have anything to do with intensity.

And what is a good economy light system are there?

Thanks

Registered Member

If I have time only for one kind of plant ( the most nutricient consumer) then what plant should I have. I heard good thing about Giant Hydro and Italian Val and others.
    But I don'd have time and money to try them all.

Thanks

Registered Member

realbetta,

The watts per gallon is a measurement of how many watts of light a tank has relative to the number of gallons.

For example, my 90 gallon tank has two 96watt bulbs lighting it. 192 (96x2) divided by 90 is approxomately equal to 2.0 w/g. Similarly, a 100g tank with 500watts of light over it will have 5.0 w/g.

The watt/gallon rule doesn't deal with light intensity, it's just a rule of thumb for determining a general amount of light for a tank. Most plants do well with at least 2.0w/g. Knowing the approximate amount of light over a tank is helpful for making decisions about which plants to use and also for generalizing the metabolism of the aquarium.

Best,
    Phil

Registered Member

The "watts per gallon" rule is a basic rule as Phil mentioned. It really starts to fall apart as the gallons go up. There are some excellent articles at www.thekrib.com just search under lighting or watts per gallon.

Paul

FYI:

If you are planting a large tank and want cheap plants, try:

www.pets-warehouse.com

They sell a dozen plants for the price of one at a normal LFS.

Registered Member

I have Aponogeton crispus in my planted tank. I kept it normally at 25-26°C, and all plants were fine. But when I raised it to 28°C to see if the plants would resist discus' temperature, surprisingly, it triggered flower blooming. Then I went back to 26°C for three weeks, and when I raised it again to 28°C, the rest of the Aponogenton's bloomed too. The plant is usually rated in books for 23-24°C.

I also keep potted wisteria in a BB tank, it soaks lots of ammonium and nitrates. It doesnt mind even 30°C.

Microsorum ferns (i.e. java and tropica ferns) do very well too in warmer watrer. Being epiphytic, it's a great plant for a BB tank if atacched to a small piece of drift/bogwood. Low light, no extra CO2 needed.

Just my experience.

Registered Member

Wisteria is a type of Hygrophila.

I have allso seen Blyxa growing quite nicely in a Discus tank, the plant looking very similar to Vallis.

Not sure wether it grows by stolons or not.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast