ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Plants For A Discus Tank

Registered Member

Default Re:Plants For A Discus Tank

Which plants do the best in a tank with no co2 added? What is the safest fertilizer for these plants? ??? :-\

Registered Member

If you're not using CO2 I would recommend Anubias and Crypt species. Java Moss doesn't appreciate the warmer temperatures too much.

For a tank like that I would use the fish waste as the main source of N and P. That means doing many fewer water changes though. A 25% once every other week should be alright. In a system like this it's best to suppliment iron, trace elements, and potassium. Occasional small doses of Phosphorus and Nitrate may be required but not very often.

Best,
    Phil

Registered Member

I am still learning all of this but I am currently doing daily or every other day water changes. I want the fish to be happy(that's why the plants), and healthy(that's why the water changes). I am only using laterite in pots for the plants. I don't have enough plants to skip the water changes. Since I learned about water changes I have had very healthy fish. How many plants should be in a 55 gal. tank for this to work? My plants are living, not thriving and I'm on a very tight budget. Next thing to buy is R.O. cartridges( I am currently buying my water by the gal.), then maybe co2. In the mean time though.....?

Registered Member

Ok, I would recommend sticking with Anubias species plants only under those circumstances. They should do well in there. Wait, I spoke too soon. Watersprite (Ceratopteris thallictroides) will be another good one. It's a floater and will soak up a ton of nutrients while giving the fish some nice shade.

Registered Member

The list of plants that can handle high temps is good info. I have Amazon Swords which turn into skeletons after a couple weeks and die. I have tested the water and have very low co2 but I don't know if its temp or the lack of co2

thanks

Registered Member

Plants need Co2 like we need Oxygen also a good source of light and good mobile trace elements like Fe and other micornutrients if you have these in good supply and not to much then your plants will thrive believe me ...

Growing a fine planted tank is not just a case as many im sure will agree about sticking the plants in and then letting them fight for nutrients you wouldnt do it with your fish so why do it with your plants ....

this is not in anyway meant to be confrontational its just that it takes as much care and attention in growing good quality plants as it does on keeping your fish in tip top shape

these are just my observations and not meant to be a comment on anyone elses method of growing there plants out

Registered Member

All plants require sufficient Carbon for photosynthesis. 99.9% of the time they get this from CO2, so I'm willing to bet your swords aren't getting enough "air" for their metabolism. Swords, especially large ones, are pigs, I think you'd be surprised at their nutritive requirements.

Registered Member

I got these two plants at the pond section of the local hardware store. They were growing emersed. I have already picked some of the new plants of the flower stalk and planted them in an aquarium.

I am going to keep these outside as pond plants, they seem to be doing so well that way. And use the shoots in aqauria. Eventually when I get my tank set up as a display tank I'll have some plants to go in.

They had some kick-a$$ anubias in pots growing emersed as well. I may need to visit again.

Registered Member

Second Plant.

Registered Member

That's an awesome, awesome, awesome, sword you've got there! Is it a Red Melon?

If the anubias are anything like that I'd be broke from buying them all!

Registered Member

Those two plants were $10.59 each. The anubias are the same price. I might go have a look today.

Registered Member

[quote author=Phil Edwards link=board=7;threadid=12121;start=15#msg155720 date=1072185224]
    Is it a Red Melon?
    [/quote]

It was labelled, "Ehinodorus 'Amazon Sword' Rubra". So I think I guess it is an E. osiris...... That would make it a red melon right?

Hi Mattrox, Have you tried ambulia? It grows like mad in warm water. I have just cut this back and got about 12 good bunches out of it which ive put in my other tanks. It was actually growing out of the hood and had flowers on the end.

Ive posted this over at simplycichlids too - no-one in the states seems to have heard of it. It grows over the surface too and the discus love getting in under there.

Kerry

another one

another

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast