ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Plants For A Discus Tank

Registered Member

Default Re: Plants For A Discus Tank

Hi,

I'm new to discus. Can a dwarf hairgrass survive in 82deg temp?
    I've seen some youtube videos w/ the plant and discus in it but I would like to make sure. Thanks!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Andy

Dwarf sag is a better alternative, will stay short as long as lighting is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    Hi,

I'm new to discus. Can a dwarf hairgrass survive in 82deg temp?
    I've seen some youtube videos w/ the plant and discus in it but I would like to make sure. Thanks!
    Welcome to the form, Cyrus.
    Since you're new to discus, the best advice that can be given to you is to keep things as simple as possible to begin with - one of the ways of doing this, if you're set on starting with a planted tank, is to limit your plantings significantly and give yourself as much free space as possible over the substrate, in order to be able to do the best tank and substrate cleansing job that you can, and on a regular basis, along with frequent, large water changes.

A carpet of dwarf hairgrass will unfortunately not accomplish this. The grass will not likely do well in the higher discus temps, but more importantly, it will make it difficult to do proper substrate vacuuming. In all likelihood it will trap and accumulate fish & food wastes, decomposing plant matter, etc., all of which is highly undesirable in properly maintaining a discus tank and ensuring the health of the fish.

I should add too that it's important to avoid getting young, small discus whose immune systems are not well developed, as they are quite susceptible to a variety of health issues if not kept in pristine water conditions.

Another key to successfully keeping discus is to ensure you obtain them from a well-known, experienced source with a reputation for supplying good quality, healthy discus. Any one of the sponsors here on simply can do that for you.

And finally, I strongly urge you, if you haven't already do so, to read through the Stickies in the Discus Basics for Beginners section.
    Best of luck to you.

Registered Member

Thank you sir. I've been reading through this forum for a few weeks now getting to know all the basics and common beginner mistakes. I've been planning of putting them immediately in my planted tank but after reading through all these threads , I guess I have to settle for a bb for now to acclimatize myself for these type of fish..

Registered Member

Do you use co2.

Quote Originally Posted by BobB View Post
    Do you use co2.
    If you do, or plan to - don't - at least for several months until you become familiar with discus traits and behaviors, and get comfortable with your ability to keep them healthy and thriving. This is another item to temporarily avoid as a novice discus-keeper in the interest of keeping things simple, uncomplicated, and riskless.
    When you feel you know how to maintain a good tank cleansing routine and keep discus well, then consider using CO2 to help you keep the more difficult plants, if that's what you wish to do.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Spike Cover

Default Re: Plants For A Discus Tank-Temp Rqmts

No matter how hard you try,
    You can't beat fun!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Spike Cover
    No matter how hard you try,
    You can't beat fun!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Chris Houston

Hi, just new to the forum, just wondered what plant food you all use to keep the plants healthy?

Also, how is it easy planting plants in sand?

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by OFAH View Post
    Hi, just new to the forum, just wondered what plant food you all use to keep the plants healthy?

Also, how is it easy planting plants in sand?
    Hi and welcome Chris .

I pot my plants in small pots and put organic soil+sand mix on the first half of the pot and top it with sand .Others just use root tabs under the plants in plain sand.
    Usually we try to limit the amount of organics in our tanks to meet the discus requirements of clean water .

For planting I always tie the plant base with a sewing yarn to a pebbel / stone to anchore the plant down , and once anchored down , its pretty easy to plant them in any type of sand or substrate bottom.

Please share some photos of your tank and discus Chris .
    Last edited by Filip; 07-09-2017 at 05:55 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mark

Hello I want to try putting a couple of anubias in my 75 gal discus can i buy those ones in a plastic tube from Petco or Petsmart, if not where is a good place to get them from?

Thank you
    Mark

Registered Member

Hello,

Please show me where to buy some Dwarf Lily. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Hi and welcome Chris .

I pot my plants in small pots and put organic soil+sand mix on the first half of the pot and top it with sand .Others just use root tabs under the plants in plain sand.
    Usually we try to limit the amount of organics in our tanks to meet the discus requirements of clean water .

For planting I always tie the plant base with a sewing yarn to a pebbel / stone to anchore the plant down , and once anchored down , its pretty easy to plant them in any type of sand or substrate bottom.

Please share some photos of your tank and discus Chris .
    ---------------------------------------------------

Hello, anyone knows which of the plants listed below do NOT need:
    - Fertile substrate
    - CO2 injection

I know that Anubias and Java moss qualifiy and are easy to take care. Any others?

Spatterdock
    Java / Lace Ferns
    Java moss
    Dwarf Lily
    Vals
    Ruffle Swords
    Crypts
    Jade Swords
    Rangeri Swords
    Dwarf & Tall Subulata Sag
    Red Melon Swords
    Heteranthera
    Didiplis Diandra
    Hygrophila
    Rotala Indica
    Anubias
    Ruffle Sword
    African Bolbitus
    Ozelot Sword

Real Name
    Tom

Jade swords, rangeri sword, the sag,heteranthera,didipilis diandra and africanbolbitus I’ve never owned. As for the rest they do not need a special substrate or co2. I grown them in gravel with liquid fert.

thanks for sharing this. I was just thinking which plant to buy for my aquarium. I'm just starting to do this and everything is interesting to me in this topic.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast