AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Plants For A Discus Tank

Registered Member

Default Re: Plants For A Discus Tank

The plants that have worked best for me are Amazon Swords, Java Fern, and Valisneria Spiralis. I don't use co2 or ferts at all. One month with the planted tank and they've done great. Btw, I was inspired to try a planted tank by Tom (Iminit}. Check out his beautiful tanks in another thread. IMG_4697 (1).jpg

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks for the kind words. I’ve had some problems this year with my planted tanks. Had a cross contamination and had to remove plants because of meds. Now growing plants in pots. But I do use ferts. I use root tabs on the Amazon swords and liquid ferts for the rest of the plants. Plants will grow for a few months on stored fert but will need ferts.

Registered Member

I'm sorry to read about your cross contamination issue. Yeah, I don't know how long I can go with at least putting root tabs in, but for now, I'm pleased with the growth of the swords. I have a flower stalk about 25 inches that is propagating new swords every 6 inches, so I may cut and plant those in the gravel. Gravel cleaning twice a week, ammonia zero, nitrite zero, nitrates I'd say about 15 before a WC. This is not really a planted tank though, it's a discus plant with some plants. I still want to leave room to gravel clean as best I can. Let's see in a few months how things are progressing.

Registered Member

Thought I'd give an update on my planted tank. Given that I keep my temp at 85 degrees, the amazon swords, rotundifolia did not thrive for very long. However, the anubias that I added about 7 months ago are all thriving. Anubias Barteri, Hastafolia, and Lancelota are growing well. Given that I have a deep tank, they love the low-light. My java fern are surviving but not really thriving.

Picture1.jpg
    Last edited by RickyB; 09-28-2022 at 12:38 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

Well I’ve moved away from substrate for now.6A216B05-F4D3-4C6D-A73D-63461799C4C4.jpg065D4995-C7B2-4476-9CB8-002BB8F746F4.jpg. But the temp is still 84-85. Found giant hygro does well at this temp.

Registered Member

So I'm almost exclusively Anubias (just bought a Barteri Broad Leaf) and added some dither tetras (Cardinal, Black Neon, and Espei Rasbora). Anubias are all doing great as are the discus.
    IMG_6217.jpg

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567