ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Wigglers...

Real Name
    Brian

Default Red Wigglers...

Does anybody feed them to their fish?

I bought 1lb last week. At first my fish didn't really know what to think, but now they love them. And from what I understand, they are very nutritious. Since they are very efficient composters I would think you could fortify their food with vitamins and minerals, which would be passed along to your fish.

The best thing is the price. Once you buy the initial batch, they reproduce so fast you'll never have to make another purchase.

Brian

Default Re:Red Wigglers...

If you feed very many of them, you're going to find that they don't reproduce quickly enough to never buy anymore....of course, it helps if the supplier actualy sends you what you pay for instead of ripping you off... :banghead:
    david

Start a new culture after a month and keep 2-3 bins going. I feed over 200 fish twice a week with 3 bins going. The biggest enemy is fruit fry. It had caused many hobbyists give up wrigglers. Learn how to avoid and get rid of them. It will be the best investment you have ever made. it was my best $15 investment 15 years ago.
    Jimmy.

Jimmy,
    have you tried to hang "no pest strips" near the culture This is a non-liquid pesticide that really works well. I use it in my snake cages to kill mites. its a strip of material that gives off a vapor... and the material is very cutable,..

http://www.cornerhardware.com/produc...amp;SID=203192

http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...p;CATID=100531

hth,
    al

Registered Member

Definately thin them out. I toss adults outside when there get to be too many of them. I havent had to buy any in over a year now. I feed them corn meal, fruit scraps and the left over flake foods the Discus didnt like ;D

Real Name
    Brian

Did you guys replace the bedding when you got them? If so, what do you use for new bedding?

The Dan at Kazarie Worm Farm did tell me to make sure I bury the food in order to minimize the attraction to fly's, but I have noticed some buzzing around.

How often do you feed them?

Brian

The problems are the fruit fry eggs attached on the skin of fruits and vegetables that hatch and swarm whenever you open the lid. They in turn laying eggs and the problem will never end. It's very annoying to live with fruit fries on your dinner table constantly. Most hobbyists just discard the whole culture and never keep wrigglers again. I have the solution for that problem and just to see if anyone has a better one.
    I use a vacuum cleaner with a nylon stocking inserted into the pipe to collect fruit fry to feed the tree frogs and lizaard. Discus love them too. You partially open the lid and insert the nozzle in the bin and run it for a couple of minutes before fully open and harvest your worms. Keep doing it for a week and all fruit fries will be gone and your spouse will not complain the fruit fies keeping the familiy company anymore.
    Jimmy.

Has anyone considered keeping his or her bins refrigerated? I am pretty sure that this would keep the hatching of the fruit flies to a minimum. I'm not sure what it will do to the reproduction of the worms though.

Just a thought,
    Tony

Real Name
    Brian

The worms will basically go into hybernation and not reproduce. Not a bad thing for a culture you are harvesting from or if youget too many worms going. Maybe rotate several cultures in and out of the fridge.

I wonder if you don't feed fruits if the flys would still show up, or are they attracted to the worm waste?

Registered Member

I have a 3 tier bin and I love it. I keep it in the garage. In the winter, they slow down a lot, but during the summer I have to feed them a lot. I use shredded newspaper for the bedding, works great and they eat that too. The fish love them, although I haven't been feeding the Discus with them lately. I am an avid recycler, so this fits right into the mix. It's been going strong for 3 years now, and the castings and tea are great for the house plants and garden.
    Jimmy, that is a great idea with the vacuum cleaner for the fruit fly's. I once got these huge larvae in there, I figured they must have been horse fly's or something. I threw a fresh batch of bedding on top, and was afraid to open it. But the never did mature, just faded into mix. Paul.

Registered Member

Who knows of a good inexpensive source to get a start of Red Wigglers? I would like to try some. Thanks

Les

Real Name
    Brian

http://www.kazarie.com/

About $21 for 1lb of worms. If you treat them right, you should have an endless supply.

Brian

Registered Member

http://www.ctvalley.com/ $ 15.95 per pound.

O.

Registered Member

Here's a tip on the fruit flies from CT Valley Worm Farm web site

'Hint for getting rid of fruit flies: The "Fruit Flies" that can occasionally get into your worm bin are actually vinegar flies (Drosophila). They are attracted to acidic materials in the bin. Put a small jar with about an inch of vinegar or flat beer in the corner of the bin, being careful not to spill it. The flies will land in it and drown. Burying the food waste slightly below the surface of the bedding will help keep the flies from being attracted to the bin in the first place and it will slow down their reproductive rate if they do get in there. I avoid adding extremely acidic materials like rotten tomatoes to an indoor bin.
    It is a good idea to begin the process of decomposition of your food waste before adding it to the bin to make it easier for the worms to help break down. Food scrapes that are stored in a container should have air flowing into it but the vent holes need to be small like a window screen to keep unwanted pests out.
    Some people avoid the problem by keeping their excess food scrapes in the refrigerator or freezer."

Hi all,
    Is Red wigglers and Red worm the same? Does anyboby here know the scientific name of the Red wigglers? Is it called eisenia fetida?

Thanks.

Td

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast