ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Red Wigglers...

Default Re: Red Wigglers...

I stuck my bins outside yesterday 'cuz it was nice..Then it got in the teens last night..I'll see if they all made it today..I'll give it a try next week....
    The meek shall inherit the earth. The oceans are for the brave.

So I am new to the Discus world and I decided to jump in head first why not. Wife thinks I'm crazy, and told me the other day when you do something you always have to go all out why couldn't you just start with guppies. Not hating on guppies but Discus look soo cool. Anyways has anyone tried blending red worms with BH when making Discus food. Thinking why not what could be the harm. Reason is my Discus are about 4months old and when I throw in the worms they are not sure what to do, maybe they are a little big. Even the smaller red worms they dont bite on. I have only had the fish for a lil over 2 weeks and are doing well.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Keep introducing the smaller red wigglers. One fish will take one and the rest will be history.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

So I am new to discus and to SimplyDiscus forum; I appreciate the experience and knowledge that all you share. I found a cool website that talked about making BH seafood formula that I may substitue my red wigglers for the salmon part of the ingredients. Bottom line the recipe is like this:
    1. Beef heart- fresh not frozen for max nutritional value. (leanest part of the animal and is very high in protein and vitamin A) remove fat and vein so as not to potentially cause intestinal blockages in your fish. Goal is 500-600g.
    2. Salmon **which is where I want to substitute "red Wigglers" not sure how many to add but will probably add to the recipe equivalent of salmon 300-350g. Only thing I can think of is adding some Omega3 (read one lady squeezes fish oil capsule- just not sure how many? maybe 3)
    3. 4 hardboiled egg yolks
    4. 1 whole ripe banana adds nourishment but also serves to bind the end product so the water doesn't get messed up
    5. 2 cups of red lettuce one source sited that spinach leaves is high in iron and can leach Ca. from the fish and cause digestive issues.
    6. 1 cup of fresh peas
    7. 1 tbs spirulia powder
    8. 400 IU vit. D
    9. half cap of multivit. (don't overdose vit A/D and Ca. can impact kidneys
    10. 2 cloves of fresh garlic (will enhance flavor but too much does opposite.)
    11. Vegetable Iodine 5 drops/ kilo
    Thanks for all the info. just wanted to share my thoughts and research as well.
    comment with any concerns.
    Like I said new to the discus world, had my juvi. discus for all of 3 weeks and they are doing well, but about to make my first batch of food and here goes nothing.

D.

Registered Member

just ultimate beef heart mate 1" growth in 3 weeks

Nice, yah sometimes I over think the simple; maybe more is not necessarily better. Another idea was buffalo heart, a health food store sells them cheap says he has a connection, maybe leaner protein. I might give this a try it can't hurt. The above recipe gets a little messy in my planted discus. I may try gelatin in the next batch and put mainly this buffalo heart.

Registered Member

hey everybody,im fresh meat!
    well im interested in using Eisenia feotida as discus food supplementation.i have read many pages and articles about this guy! and made my choice to do some action.but there are some questions that made me a little curious ...
    1- how can i make worms' gut clear and get rid of material withing the alimentary tracts before put them into my fish's mouth:P?
    2-i saw some people talked about using spirulina powder in bed material in order to make worms get them as food and result in fish color enhancement...how was the result of Spirulina project? was any color enhancement seen?or not reported yet?
    3-how many times should i use these worms per day and Does these worms completely satisfy nutritional demand of fish or not?
    thanks.

Boy since this thread started 10 years ago, the price of red wigglers went up in comparison.

Re:Red Wigglers...
    www.wormman.com
    One Pound of Red Worms Approximately 1000 Red worms $21.80 Delivered

Now, $40.00 a pound. WOW. Still looking into getting worms to try this. But thanks to Brandon, I have a small culture starting.

Will look for more worms to make a full culture.

Question though to the Wormmies here, when you add holes for circulation and drainage, are you adding them all over the container? And what size wholes are we talking about and how many?
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Jeff, do not punch holes in your bin. Only put the top on loosely to allow a little air exchange.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

no holes Jeff. Also unless you are in a hurry to start feeding the worms to your fish, you probably don't need to get more. Feed them well and they will multiply pretty quickly.

Len

Real Name
    Brandon Trier

May I ask why no holes? The worm guy I got my colonies from had holes in the bottom of the bins to help with excess water from the food he fed(mostly melon rinds).
    -Brandon
    Discus.....The best cult I've been a part of!
    B's Bunker

Registered Member

hey guys
    can i add grape tree's leaf to the media to feed my worms?whats best home-made food that i can use for feeding my worms?
    thanks for your answers

Quote Originally Posted by Trier20 View Post
    May I ask why no holes? The worm guy I got my colonies from had holes in the bottom of the bins to help with excess water from the food he fed(mostly melon rinds).
    No huge reason, just not needed. I've had mine going for quite some time and haven't had moisture problems.

Len

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Jeff, do not punch holes in your bin. Only put the top on loosely to allow a little air exchange.
    sorry boss but i have read on cathy website that we should use holes...here is the Quotations"*Note: To ensure your worm bin is fully ventilated, drill at least 10-20 - 3/16" holes in your bin".and here is the link
    http://www.cathyscomposters.com/instructions.htm
    pardon

Quote Originally Posted by arman View Post
    sorry boss but i have read on cathy website that we should use holes...here is the Quotations"*Note: To ensure your worm bin is fully ventilated, drill at least 10-20 - 3/16" holes in your bin".and here is the link
    http://www.cathyscomposters.com/instructions.htm
    pardon

Ok, so you have read ...... but have you done??

I'm saying that I have worm bins, use NO holes for ventilation since the rubbermaid tubs aren't airtight and the worms do quite well and multiply and have been doing so for quite some time. It's fine to do research and consider the information provided, but how does that compare with actually doing it and getting proof in the results?

Len

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast