AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Wigglers...

Registered Member

Default Re:Red Wigglers...

Jeep,

Been feeding them for a year now. I dont purge or anything. Just rinse and toss em in. I would have to say that I have had no increase in incident of health problems feeding them. I think less truly.

Paul

Registered Member

I read on the websites that these guys will consume their own weight in food every other day....is that true?

you guys that have been keeping them awhile....how much do you actually feed them?

Registered Member

no replies eh lol
    ya mean the redworm thread has died? lol

I bought 2lbs
    will they actually eat 2lbs of food every other day or am I gunna end up with a rotten mess if I put that much food in? lol

Real Name
    Brian

They eat their weight every day? LOL... Maybe that's why mine died.

I'm getting ready to order another batch soon. Surely, if I can keep discus alive then I can keep worms alive :-X

Real Name
    Brian

I ordered another batch of Red Wigglers from Dan at Kazarie last night. I asked him how much they eat and he said about 1/2 their weight every day. I had no idea they ate so much.

The food, of course, can be almost anything that will decompose. The things to avoid are meat and dairy products...

Hopefully I can take better care of them this time around. My fish sure love them!!!

Another question I have is if regular shredded paper is ok for these worms. I always shred things like bank statements and credit card offers in my shredder. Is there something that could be passed on to the fish by using these other types of paper?

Brian

Most paper products are fine. Stay away from glossy paper (from magazines). The worms have an incredible capacity to remove toxins from the material they consume. It's doubtful that any harm would come to the fish due to the shredded paper.
    Cathy

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks Cathy...

I like your web site. Very informative... Is there any more information you can provide to insure a thriving culture?

Brian

Thanks Brian,

There are 3 key elements for successful vermicomposting:
    temperature, air circulation and moisture content.

The ideal temperature is 60-80 F. The worms will survive between 40-90 F, but at the extreme temps, they are just surviving and not eating 1/2 their weight and reproducing at the phenomenal rate that they do.

The bin will require air holes to provide air circulation. No worries about the worms crawling out of the bin 'cause if they do, they'll die as it is not moist enough outside the bin. Vermicomposting is an aerobic process which is why it does not smell. Bad odours are an indication of anaerobic conditions which, if not fixed, will cause harm to the squirm.

The bedding should be the consistency of a wrung out sponge - better too wet than too dry. The worms are about 90% water so require a fairly moist environment.

The worms will live in almost any container. If the main reason is to provide Discus food, I suggest a plastic bin as it retains the moisture better. With a wooden container, the moisture content needs to be monitored. I have both plastic and wooden bins on the go. I get far more worms in the plastic bins, but much better castings in the wooden bins.

When adding water to a worm bin, use a spray bottle.

Please advise if you have specific questions.

Cathy

I love this thread! Thank you for providing such good information!

Because my 'fish room' is located upstairs in our spare bedroom, my wife will not allow any sort of worms except frozen in our house which is understandable. However, come spring, Im moving the 'fish room' downstairs which will open the door from many good things, one being live worms. Thank you Cathy for pointing out that the worms can not live outside the enclosure. A very good argument! So once I actually get setup, I guess that red worms will be also part of the fish room! ;D

One simple question though. Can you buy red worms anywhere like local gardening stores and the like? Is it perhaps better to order from a known place that has been tested and tried on discus?

How do you weigh your food? If you order 1lb of worms, how do you tell how much 1/2lb of food is per day? Can you thru in more food like 2lbs and dont have to worry about feeding for 4 days then?

One more question! How do red worms compare with black worms?
    Advantages/disadvantages between red and black worms?

Thanks!

Another good reason for red worms is RECYCLE! Waste feeding worms, worms feeding discus, discus growing, discus breeding, discus sold, money in pocket for more discus and paying water bills! ;D O yea! Less garbage to carry out!

Registered Member

For all the Canadian members I've ordered red wigglers from Worm Woman ( Cathy'd Composters ) and received quick excellent service and it's nice to order right here in Canada, save's all the border headaches. If you need worns give her a call she is very helpful.

It's good Cathy is able to participate in this forum. I have 2 questions for you Cathy.
    1. Let me hear how you avoid getting fruit fry in your bin? How do you get rid of them?
    2. I often found red wrigglers hiding underneath driftwood for weeks. How do they breathe under water?
    Thanks
    Jimmy.

Real Name
    Brian

One interesting thing... When I got my new ones, I had had big bunch of left-over salad (about 1/2lb) in my fridge. I burried the salad in the bin and it was gone in about 1 1/2 days. I saw a mushroom on top of the soil actually moving, so I picked it up and saw about 8 or 9 worm heads reaching up out of the bedding. A feeding frenzy of sorts.

When I ordered 2lbs of worms, Dan also included 2lbs of worm food. I've been giving them so much of my left-over foods and veggies that I haven't even given them the food Dan gave me.

So far, my "squirm" of worms seems very content

Brian

Thank you for all the great comments and warm welcome.

I'm happy to talk about worms.

To avoid fruit flies, the best advice is to bury the food scraps under the bedding. Every other week or so add some dry shredded newspaper on top. This will help absorb excess moisture as well as additional barrier from fruit flies. (They're crafty!)

If you get fruit flies, vacuum works best. There is an earlier entry that describes a perfect method. Fly paper works or a fly trap as well.

It is difficult for me to avoid fruit flies as I am always digging in my bins picking worms. Food bits are inevitably left on top. My fruit fly population is kept in check by spiders and a cat (who I imagine keeps the spiders in check).

I don't know about the drift wood and worms breathing under water. Perhaps they crawl into a gap and feed on the rotting wood. Just a guess.

There are several worm suppliers. Just ask for red wigglers. Not many garden stores keep worms. Try bait dealers. Make sure it is a reputable dealer, eg. you get the amount of worms you pay for. Worms ship very nicely so if there is not a worm supplier close to you, no problem to have them shipped.

About feeding the worms, keep a container (eg. ice cream pail) with a lid under the sink to collect the scraps. Feed the worms when the container is almost full. The worms prefer decomposed matter. Before feeding each time, check where you last fed them to ensure the worms are getting through it. If not, wait a day or 2. The worms are very forgiving. They do not need to be fed on a strict schedule.

Don't forget to chop up the food.

You will learn how much your worms can consume. Once they get adjusted to the new environment, they will increase in number, the volume of food can be increased over time.

I do not know about black worms.

Hope that helps.

Cathy

Registered Member

GREAT talk about raising the worms but my question has always been how do you EASILY get a QUANTITY of worms out of the bedding to feed every day? It's no problem if you're feeding just a few discus but how can you do it on a larger scale?

GARY

Registered Member

Gary,

I look at it this way. What you save in money with worms you make for in labor. If you come up with an answer to this let me know. Right now I pick them out with a 10" tweezer and rinse under gentle running water. Takes about an hour to get enough for a feed for all the fish. I do this 2 or 3 times a week.

Paul

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast