ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi advice on breeding pigeon blood's please!

Registered Member

Default Hi advice on breeding pigeon blood's please!

Hi all

Sorry rather new to this, anyway I've a breeding pair had them for a year and half now and I think its about time I moved on and learned how to get these two to breed, if poss...

I would be grateful of any successful leaders out there that can point me in the right direction...

Thanks in advance Wayne

Registered Member

Default Re:Hi advice on breeding pigeon blood's please!

Have they layed eggs in your tank? Are you sure they are a pair?

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Lots of clean water and live foods help get pairs in breeding condition

Registered Member

Hi thanks for the posting I have a breedng pair, as they had eggs in the tank when I bought them, and the female went down hill a bit I got her back as she was not eating push the temp up then, she started to eat...

I feed them dead frozen food at the moment, I was wondering about the fact that the in a tank with bogg wood, I know everyone mentions about clay pots etc, is that really needed...?

I've read the PH being between 6.2 6.8 does what happens when it's less or higher does that mean they will not breed at all...

Couple of other questions I have some wild green neons in the tank I take it they wont be a problem...?

I have a heavy filter system, Eheim Pro 2 with UV inline+ an RO unit, only thing is I'm wondering is that may be the bog wood is keeping the PH low, but stable ... catch 22 me thinks here...

Thanks in advance Wayne

Registered Member

Hi Wayne,
    I breed all My pb at 6.8 to 7.0
    hth
    Cary Gld!

Registered Member

Hi Carol / Cary

Thanks for you posting, I popped into my local shop this weekend to be doubted that pigeon bloods are harder than normal to breed and that there young are few if at all, ???

You may or may not know this thought I would share it with you they have some very nice young english breed that are at 7.6 PH, can young tollerate this, it there not a down fall on this or does it mean that there a more hardy strain? They have a pair breeding to, that's 81 F and at a PH of 7.2 large water volume though, so I'm wondering is that they all vary, some fish like it one way more than others, you just have to know your fish for example...

I've been checking my PH I'm still quite low at 6.PH & I was wondering does Nitrat NO 3 or any other main factors play a part in the breeding pattern...

I take it the water changes are 10% every 2 days?

As someone else mentioned don't do a water change for 2 weeks then do I 45% water change then a few there on... to get them going... Me getting a bit confused now with what info is correct and whats not... :-\

And is the female also that much smaller than the male?

Thanks Wayne

Registered Member

try a 20% water change with cold water but that as been stored and is same params as tank water ,this sometimes gets them to spawn

Registered Member

HI harry how much colder?

Since I don't want to chill them, I get worried when I hear this like this...

As everything has to be jotted and t'ed if you know what I mean, I was reading about 1 guy who had 2 ices cubes then a 70% water change the following day...

So how many degrees can the temp drop TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE? Any one please, I dont wanna lose my breeding pair through some so simple...

If you get what I mean

Cheers Wayne

Registered Member

hi all
    i have a question but its not about breeding the pigeon blood..
    why do the bp have those little black specks but when i visit the LFS, those bp do not have them and it cost a liitle higher then those with the black specks???
    so does not mean those bp with black specks are 'lower grades' ???
    rgds
    wsw

Registered Member

Thought I would ask yet another silly question

I read though the threads people mentioning that there needs to be low nitrates, but nobody mentions how low?? ???

My tank statz are running at 6PH and Nitrate No3 is at 20mg/l is this still too hi? temp's at 81F

anything else I should check, I see there is a wide range for PH breeding I've seen them breed at 7.2 so I'm perplexed

Wayne

Under 5 for the nitrates

Registered Member

about the PB black specks...
    i am also very curious about why most of the PB discus i see posted here have the black specks.

i have a 5" PB with absolutely no specks, just nice orangey and reddish colour with the white "pearls".
    sorry no pics cos lost my digicam when i lend it to my sis-in-law (she misplaced it somewhere).

really curious to know why.

I think you get the newer discus in singapore. Many of the newer Pigeons are cleaner than those bred in the 90's.

Pigeon crosses like PBx Rt usually have lots more pepper than PBxPB matings

Registered Member

hi Carol

thanks for the insight

Registered Member

Hi Guy's and Girls

Well I've got the heating arrangments sorted now had a issue with one of the component's, had to wait...

Any how got that sorted, I've since started the 10% water change with much the same temp as that of the native tank...

Also added the white pipe stuck to the side of the tank... (With a thought, do they peck at there breeding ground, ie the white pipe) they have not done this yet, so I thought is it something I should look for...

At the moment there doing the tango, the male was shaking his beans, with flicking of the dorsal fin, and shaking his body... and tonight the female started to do just that shake her body, while not the dorsal fin. this I only se occuring after the water change so am I at STAGE one of the breeding process?

How can I tell if the female is ready? as the Male seems keen, DONT LAUGH, SINCE I GUESSED WHAT YOUR THINKING, so that's the update... and the female is still smaller than the male will that not cause a problem.

Carol... any pointers other than the water changes + good food...

Wayne

PS Male (BLADE) that the one in the photo listed in the first posting...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast