AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: water containers?

Default Re:water containers?

How do you guys clean these larger barrels. I had 55 gal drums that I used for a while, but it was hard to get to the bottom for cleaning. So now I use heavy duty rubbermaid 42gal trash bins. I find it much easier to get to the bottom for cleaning.

Registered Member

thanks for all your help guys i just went to home depot and bought me 3 rubbermaid trashcan at 34 gal each 9 buck each not that bad i just need to age more water so i can change more water for my babies thanks for all the great help though guys i really appreciate it

Registered Member

My barrel has a hole in the top and a plugged drain on the bottom. To clean (which I do not do often) I fill with water, add bleach, let soak, drain, then rinse thoroughly and refill and add heavy dechlorinator.

I also recently added an internal filter for peat purposes and it has the added plus of removing a lot of the gunk that would otherwise clog the tank...

John

Crazy if you are ever in SD give me a holla ! ! ! I get them for $5 bucks at a local recycling place. He has tons of them.... They contained concentraded coca-cola and I was told to add a cup full of bleach, let it stand over night full of water, empty it, and dry overnight. After drying shoot it out vigorously with water, let it stand again overnight with water and then it's usable. Instead of paying $$$Bling_Bling$$$ for Rubbermaid garbage containers that will bend easily check out your local recycling plant, food warehouse, or cooking supply store. For a used container they go for well under $10.00. New they would sell for $30-35.

A- ;D

Registered Member

thanks allan but man i dont think ima be in sd anytime soon lol or esle i would have purcahsed your red whites from you already yeah rubbermaid bends very easy man but i dont know where esle to get it from so that will have to do for now

Just as a postscript, I've been using 32g Rubbermaid tubs with wheels for water storage for 2 yrs now. I think perhaps the fact that I lean the handles & wheelside against the tankstands for support as they fill may be a major contributing factor in their longevity. So far so good, & now I have just managed to get some of those food grade 55g white tubs. Actually the brown RM probably look better in my LR than these will, lol, Dottie ;D ;D

Registered Member

nice im useing the rubbermaid trash can 34 gals right now just got rid of the rubbermaid 55gal clothes holder it bent out so nasty got me mad and tooked up so much room the trash can doesnt bend and saves me a lot of room so now i can have all the age water for all my babies =)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12