ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Canadian Connection

Registered Member

Default Re:The Canadian Connection

So simply is gonna follow the canadian content rules eh?

JimmyL: It could be worse, we've had a few inches of snow already. There's frost on them there windows this morning. Winter has arrived for those of us way to freaking far north...

I envy you southerners. I miss the lack of snow until Halloween.

Andy

Registered Member

No, Jimmy.. that is exactly what is in my tank.
    The photo is from Shorthair - [aka Devin]; he has the other 12 brothers/sisters to it. We received them July 13/03.
    Ron- That is why you can see it ... he uses clear water; mine is all brown. lol.

The altums I bred, back in 1996 were wilds. I had 8 of them, direct from the Amazon. One of our club members had gone on an expidition .. and brough back boxes of really nice fish.

The altums ... were blood thirsty! I would watch them fight ... two would face each other ... rush towards and at the last second twist their body and try an "SLASH" the other angel with their pelvic fins. Very effective. The loser would end up with body cuts ... some even drew blood.

Breeding was in very soft acidic water, lots of plants and black slate rocks. A 100 gallon tank. And purely by luck!

the fry were just as aggressive as the parents. Too aggressive for most hobbiests. The lfs - would not buy them [or only wanted to pay $ . 75 cents. each; delievered!!

Since, at the time, there was not a good market for them, I traded them off for equipment and african's ... which was the rage at the time.

Smokey

Forever Friends

Good idea Canadian corner. I wondered where you guys were hiding.

Barb

Registered Member

Barb ... were never hiding: just hanging out.

smokey

Hi Barb: Another Tim Horton worshipper. How's the green fry? We have to work hard to beat the Aussies. Only 78 pages times 2 to catch up. Correction .......subtract 3 pages.

Smokey: Sounds like the Autum is not a good tankmate to keep with discus. Maybe I shouldn't spend too much time on them. I just need the challenge and document the spawning of the Autum and then let the flowerhorn finish them off. Just for the fun of it. Who is Shorthair? Devin Galitis? Copperhead? The pic. looks like a very good quality BD if they are not color fed.
    Jimmy.

Forever Friends

Hi Jimmy, I'm good! Green fry doing great! Tim Hortons --- can't go a day without one large hot coffee!!!!!

I'm setting up another 65 gal tank today to move some of those fish I got from you into. They are getting huge! Some nice blue fish in there.

Barb

I AM CANADIAN!!!!! Where's the beer? No jimmy Shorthair is Devin and copperhead is Davis!! One lives in TO and the other lives in Southern Alberta. Close but not that close lol!!!!

Darcy

Registered Member

Ok I guess its time I pop in and say hi to JimmyL and all my fellow canadians eh!!!

It is getting cold in the mornings but that only means hunting season is here and those who know me know I live to hunt ;D

Devin

Copperhead Davis is also Devin in his own native language. He also has shorthair. Very clean cut. Nice fellow too. Hello shorthair. I can't have shorthair. I need the hair to cover up all the battle scars on my skull and forehead. Used to be a good Judo and Martial Art fighter in competition. Spilled blood and broken bones every time. Silly teenages. Now I'm paying for it. Tennis elbow almost make me quit having discus.
    Jimmy.

Hi,

Altums are difficult to spawn and only few people have witnessed the event.

No one has been able to raise the wrigglers- something is

lacking in our water perhaps.

alex

Registered Member

Actually Jimmy, my name is referring to the dogs I raise which are German Shorthaired Pointers, but I do have short hair also

Devin

Just popped in to say hello to all the canucks, being a good globe trotting girl. Smoeky, you should come on chat tonight.

Kerry 8)

Hey Smokey, i was just over at simplycichlids and theres a new member over called the CanadianGuy. I gave him the thread for here. he may already be a member here ??? but anyway, im just doing my duties.

Geez, im busy, hopping from Oz to Canada and from cichlids.com to discus.com

Kerry

Cool! The Canadian content is growing! LOL!

Well, this last weekend my dad and I replaced all the windows on the main floor. Our home is an older house therefore the windows were really terrible. Basicly, 2x single pane slider metal frame windows. Wow! What a difference the new windows make. The reason though that Im really excited is because Im planning on using the huge living room window to make tanks. So far so good. The window was not crack.......yet! Now the work begins taking the fir wood frame apart and separating the sealed window. I dont really know how thick the glass is yet but Im hoping at least 5mm if not 6 or 8mm! The other windows are around 3mm I believe so I may use them to make tank lids.

Its getting colder in the morning which is making me grumpier however it is good news on the other hand. Less work outside = more time inside for fish! LOL! ;D

Just wanted to say Hello! Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Registered Member

Thanks, Kerry

I've been here for a about a month now...I've only posted at the other site a few times!

James

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast