AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Heater..

Real Name
    Matt

Default Heater..

Ok once i finally get my discus and get settled.......i'll stop asking questions, and get more involved in the forum, chatting and do something other than ask questions.

But for now i am just a newbie and need more help.....

What type of heater do you all prefer?

My Tank: 55gal BB, AC500 (2 sponges), pH 7.0, Temp - (when i get a heater)

Thank you!..........Again :

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:Heater..

There is no concensus on heaters. I have 250 or 300 watt heaters in that size tank. Other recommend two smaller heater - say two 150's.

I have had luck with tronic, Ebo Jagers, and Won brothers Pro Heat.

Real Name
    Matt

Thanks Carol. 8)

Go with Tronic or ebo jagers

I personally like the titanium pro heat heater. You don't have to put your hand in the tank when you need to adjust temp. And they seem to hold up better to our mistakes like forgetting to unplug it when the water level drops below the minimum water level during a water change ect.

Registered Member

The first thing that you need to consider is what the lowest temperture will ever be in the room you keep your fish.
    Unless you live in the North Pole, forget about 250 and 300 watt heaters. One heater malfuntion with that type of wattage would mean you'll be having poached Discus for dinner. A 300 watt heater could raise the temperature in a 55 gallon tank 20 degrees an hour.
    I prefer heaters that will allow me to adjust the temperature without having to reach into the water to do it. If your tank is about 18 inches deep, be sure to get a heater with a 15 inch tube or a submergable heater. A 12" non-submergable heater would most likely crack when you do a 50% water change.
    If your winters get pretty cold and the temp in your house gets down to fiftys, I'd reccomend, using either two 100 watt heaters(it's safer in event one malfunctions) or one 200 watt heater. If your house temperature is stable in the mid sixtys I'd say go with either two 75 watts or one 150 watt.

I second the Ebo Jager suggestion. They're more expensive, but they seem to be the best. I use a 150W on my 40G tank. I also use one on the salt water tank I have.

Regards,

Dave.

Real Name
    Matt

Columbia SC..........pretty "hot" winters. Guess you could say "Mild" winters.

Registered Member

i would just like to say NEVER EVER LEAVE THE HEATER ON WHEN THERSE NO WATER TOUCHING IT KIND OF THING
    i did it and my heater went psssssssssssss
    )))))) boom ((((((

Food for thought too....I have a home with 23 foot vaulted ceilings and a ceiling fan in each room sometimes in use.

My 55 gallon has two 300 watt heaters (yes be careful you don't roast them but with the ceiling height I'm lucky to keep the tank at 85 at night as it wants to drop a couple degrees even with both of them in use. This tank is closer to the kitchen door during the winter also which is letting in colder air...the other 120 tank, deep into the living room maintains fine at 84-85 again with two 300 watt heaters but it's in a better location. I don't dare go under 300 watt with either though so room size and ceiling height and winter temps/state you live in all make a big difference.

Registered Member

Ah heaters. IMHO they are all pretty poorly made! I will say that my 50% failure rate for ebos is the highest I've seen - but the ones that work have worked well.

My lowest failure rate has been with Visitherms, but I know a lot of other folks have had trouble with them as well.

Just keep your eye on the heater for a month or so and if it makes it past that, they tend to be okay.

I do agree to the 2 lower wattage heaters over the one higher wattage one.

John

Real Name
    Matt

Well i will be getting a backup one just incase.

I can always use it on another tank if needed.

Thanks everyone.

Registered Member

Not sure if others have already mentioned this... but try to get a heater that will reach higher temps (around 34C or 94F) if possible. It will be handy when you need to raise the temp while treating the fish for illnesses...

FYI - I found myself in this exact situation as I needed to treat my discus at higher temp for worm/hex - both heaters I got were only good for 32C. Eventually I found one at a LPS last week, and I'm a happy camper so far with the 150W Jagers heater I got for my 22G tank.