ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Color Inheritance

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Default Re: Color Inheritance

Quote Originally Posted by mee View Post
    Yes, that is the first one I got, I have two more now. The avatar is the only one with 9 stripes and dual heckel baring though.
    here's a video of the other two when they first came in. The male is colored down in the video, and the female is showing all of her bars. (now usually she shows just the one, and his is thick and dark now too. His halo is a bit muddy, and she really has the best color but he really has allot of beautiful reds. Plus he is about 7 1/2 inches !

I am an American breeder in Asia, so I will throw my hat in the ring and try to be the one to fix the trait
    Nice. I had a similar type at one stage, and my fish had a lot of red too.

Good luck with the breeding of this trait. Even lthough i don't think you will acheive it, this is a great platform for breeding some terrific striated turquoise discus.

Real Name
    Rick

Strain definition was on the agenda I wanted to get a time frame worked out first.....you say you need 3 generations, sounds good and i agree to that.
    I don't think we are on the same page. I am NOT saying I could fix th trait in three generations. NO way no how. What I was alluding to is the fact that all the big players in the asian breeder market on now working on these heckel crosses. Tony Tan, Wayne Ng, Jefferey Yang, Wantanabe, Forrest, just to name a few. From this HUGE collective of tanks and breeding knowledge, I feel that fixing the trait (by them) is obtainable. I think THEY can reach that goal in the next several years.

I then went on to say or define what I considered at what point that achievement will have been met, which was producing a heckel cross that could pass on the trait in at least 50% of the offspring for at least three generations (at which point I think they would most likely need to be bred back to a heckle).

I think the heckel bar acts simular to the blue halo genetically, albeit a bit more rare, but eventually could be fixed to a certain extent.
    Ex-President-North American Discus Association-NADA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

nc0gnet0, based on what I have seen around here I think you are on the right train of thought. I have a suspicion that what you are talking about is very close, if not already a done deal. I found a specific breeder that seems to have cracked the code, and inquired about getting some fry, but sadly his response was that he does not sell fry, just breeds for the joy of it. I am going to try to gently persuade the breeder though.. perhaps trading some heckle X fry may sweetin the pot =)

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by nc0gnet0 View Post
    I don't think we are on the same page. I am NOT saying I could fix th trait in three generations. NO way no how. What I was alluding to is the fact that all the big players in the asian breeder market on now working on these heckel crosses. Tony Tan, Wayne Ng, Jefferey Yang, Wantanabe, Forrest, just to name a few. From this HUGE collective of tanks and breeding knowledge, I feel that fixing the trait (by them) is obtainable. I think THEY can reach that goal in the next several years.

I then went on to say or define what I considered at what point that achievement will have been met, which was producing a heckel cross that could pass on the trait in at least 50% of the offspring for at least three generations (at which point I think they would most likely need to be bred back to a heckle).

I think the heckel bar acts simular to the blue halo genetically, albeit a bit more rare, but eventually could be fixed to a certain extent.
    Well, i don't think being a named breeder will help in this case, the genes won't care one bit. I will be waiting for the proof, though not holding my breath

Registered Member eaglesfan3000's Avatar

I have a female Tigersnake that I'm thinking about breeding with a Leopard do you know what the offspring would be?

Thanks
    Bob
    If women don't find you attractive, may they find you handy.

This reply is just to join this thread and watch for updates.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by OC Discus View Post
    This reply is just to join this thread and watch for updates.
    Same here.

New Members
    Real Name
    edward nielson

Hi all, I am fairly new to breeding but loving this thread. I currently have one pair of Stendker fire red's with 3 week old fry on them and a second pair spawning right now. I also have 3-albino golden with striations and 1- with spots that are approximatly 10 months old, 2-platnum blues, 2- yellow diamonds, and a tropical red.I found some very interesting / useful information on this thread and would see and hear more. thanks for all your input Ed

Real Name
    Nathalia Faria

Question Re: Color Inheritance

Hi Guys!
    I know the topic is old, but maybe i get luck and someone will see it.. hehe

I was told that you can use the Ghost to pair up with any color of Discus and the fry would be exact copies of the parents' colors, always tending to the most colorful, not adding peppering or else. Is that true?

Thanks , Naty

Real Name
    Jack

Hello, I purchased 7 Discus from Kenny and I have had them for 3 months. The Neon Sapphire (12 months old & 5.5 in) and one of the Golden Diamonds (11/12 months old & 5 in) seem to be pairing up. They are displaying cleaning, shimmering and chasing others away. If these to breed what might be the outcome of the babies? Thank you.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by fivestar68 View Post
    Hello, I purchased 7 Discus from Kenny and I have had them for 3 months. The Neon Sapphire (12 months old & 5.5 in) and one of the Golden Diamonds (11/12 months old & 5 in) seem to be pairing up. They are displaying cleaning, shimmering and chasing others away. If these to breed what might be the outcome of the babies? Thank you.
    5 star you and I seem to have purchased from the same batch. Kenny has excellent selections. I'm about 35 miles north of you. Up Seattle way. May stay in touch with you should you get some fry. This thread is most interesting. Carol really did know her subject. The Neon Sapphire is top on my list.
    Last edited by peewee1; 02-06-2019 at 01:27 AM.

Real Name
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
    5 star you and I seem to have purchased from the same batch. Kenny has excellent selections. I'm about 35 miles north of you. Up Seattle way. May stay in touch with you should you get some fry. This thread is most interesting. Carol really did know her subject. The Neon Sapphire is top on my list.
    Hey peewee1, thanks for the reply. That's awesome to have someone fairly close by. I do live in Yelm now and not Auburn. Bought my first home 3 months ago and loving the room to enjoy the incredible fish from Kenny. I received my Discus from the Nov batch! I have a Neon Sapphire and a Golden Diamond displaying all the breeding behaviors besides actually spawning. We just wait and see!!! I would love to stay in touch! Also my name is Jack. Talk to you soon. https://youtu.be/muzL6ayOIZs
    Last edited by fivestar68; 02-07-2019 at 04:06 PM.

Your Neon Sapphire is a refined version of a Blue Diamond. The Gold Diamond is a very clean fish. I would call it Gold based but due to the black in the fins I figure it is Pigeon Blood based. If so, the cross will produced peppered fry. If not, I don't know what you will get from the cross but they will be solid colored without pepper. The only way to know for sure is to raise a batch of fry from them and see what you get.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jack

Thanks for the info mama bear! Really appreciate it. https://youtu.be/R2e7qHEpnaM

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112