AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Color Inheritance

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:Color Inheritance

That was my understanding

rcubeiii

My SS pair is throwing 3 different kinds of babies. There are some red turqs, but the majority are SS, which is consistent with earlier postings on this thread. The third type has the same body color as the others, but no visible bars. Some have a very faint SS pattern. I'm assuming these are SS, but just short on the pigmentation for the vertical bars. Does this sound right?

Also, nearly all of the smallest fish have no bars, although not all the "no-bars" are small. In fact some are among the biggest. The small ones are all healthy, just not growing as fast as the others. My theory is that the gene for the bars is linked to some other gene that contains a growth factor. Therefore if the gene for bars is missing, there is also a higher frequency of poor growth. Any comments or experience?

No bars - I wonder if there is some pigeon blood in the background then

rcubeiii

Do PBs have no bars? Some of the bigger ones with no bars are starting to get some blue color, particularly in the anal fin. Will be interesting to see how they turn out. Some also have a little darker brown edging to the dorsal and anal fin, but most are a uniform reddish golden brown.

Pigeons have no bars - do you see any peppering on the barless ones?

rcubeiii

No peppering at all. Background color is very uniform across the entire body and fins. Some blue beginning to appear in fins. You can see pics of some of the babies in my posting under Buy/Sell topic. One baby in the pics shows no bars.

I looked at your post - I bet your SS arre siblings and have blue diamond in the background

Registered Member

I have fry from a pb female and a brown male. About 2/3 of the fry show bars, the rest do not, but do have some black specks. I would be interested in hearing what experiences others may have had with this cross. Is there any relation between the amount of speckling on the fry and the amount of pepper in an adult pigeon blood? What would one expect from these fry as far as adult coloring? Are the barred fry turks? brown? I really have no clue where the various strains come from or what crosses throw and would be interested in any information. Thanks.

Heavily speckled fry will be heavily speckled adults. Your fry with bars could be turk, browns and some in between.

rcubeiii

You might be right, Carol. In my last batch of babies, there was one fish that was blue. It was the one very weak fish in the batch and remained very small, eventually dying at about 4 weeks. The presence of this fish points to a blue diamond as a recessive gene.

Registered Member Larry Grenier's Avatar

There seems to be 2 different "branches" if you will of barless fish. PBs (isn't the peppering a remnant of the bars?) and the other group of seemingly barless fish like Blue Diamonds, Red Rose, Solid Whites...

Comments, rebuttals, criticisms...

How did the barless Blue Diamonds or other non PB barless discus come about?

Cool thread 8)

Registered Member

hi, will like to ask something.

i will like to check out the possible baby of the following.

1) red turquoise X red fine line snake skin
    2) red fine line snake skin X blue diamond
    3) red turquoise X blue diamond

cos currently got these 3 types of discus.
    wonder what each will result.

pls and thks for help.

Hi Larry:
    All are different mutations. You are correct pigeons are the only ones with the vestigal bars appearing as pepper. I don't remember how each was created - that might be a good article for a NADA newletter ;D

Hi Magic:
    Blue diamond is recessive. If you cross BD with RT or SS you will get a barred fish with a thick or thin (SS) line pattern.

RT X SS will result in some of both
    Bye for now,
    CArol

Registered Member

thks carol.

carol i got another question on topics eggs.
    pls help over there.

[quote author=Larry Grenier link=board=6;threadid=14137;start=30#msg202080 date=1090804655]

How did the barless Blue Diamonds or other non PB barless discus come about?

[/quote]

The barless fish are all the result of a mutation. The discovery of a female with a number of missing stress bars paved the way for future breeding until a solid blue fish with no stress bars finally came about. Pigeons were produced similarly. The more fish that that are allowed to breed with the prominent specs, the more fish you'll see with less "clean" overall color.

Howie

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast