ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fastest Way To Cycle A Tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kyla

Default Re: Fastest Way To Cycle A Tank

ross did you mean to say "ammonia" or "nitrate"?
    Last edited by Kyla; 01-13-2017 at 08:46 AM.

Real Name
    Ash

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl View Post
    I must agree w/ the use of Bio-spira as the fastest way to cycle a tank...I've used it 4 times. New tank, new water , new filter....discus went right in. One tank had slight nitrite the second day, but normally you wouldn't see nitrites on day 2. They were gone in a couple of days. Another tank was cloudy for 9 or 10 days but there was ZERO ammo. and nitrite readings
    The extra sponges from other tanks work, and Lesley's method is probably the next best thing to Bio Spira. I'm not a big fan of the daily w/change while a tank is cycling, but that's just me. My own experience is it delays the cycling period..at least it seemed to, but I have no scientific proof either way.
    Be bold...try the Bio Spira J.T.
    Did u say u added discus straight away to new tank new filter and then it cycled?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    David

Bio-wheel from a penguin Marineland filter. Great filter if you don't mind changing impellers every other month. I've rapidly cycled 5 large tanks with a good ol' bio wheel. That being said -- my house can't hold many more tanks so changing up the high maintenance marine lands soon with an eheim canisters. God bless green wheels of life.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by RandalB View Post
    My $0.02....

Don't cycle the tank. It will cycle itself over time. Light fish load and WC WC WC WC WC. I haven't cycled a tank in over a year. The filters eventually catch up and you're good to go.
    JMHO,
    RandalB
    An old thread but this is what I do as well. Twice anyway. I don't know why it works for me to fill the tank, bring it to the temperature that I desire, and then add the fish. Two years have passed for the fist time that I did this. Three weeks ago I set up a breeding tank. I let it cycle for three days then moved the breeding pair from the tank they were in to their new home. I must have forgiving water for this to work. I do water change on a normal schedule of 100% per week spread over 7 days. I am not suggesting that you try this I am simply saying that when I set up the first I did not know about cycling nor did I know about this forum. And it worked so why would I think any different the second time?
    Last edited by peewee1; 06-30-2020 at 08:59 AM.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

I usually have an extra sponge filter running somewhere.
    However, some nitrites can creep in daily until more bacteria can grow, I have noticed.
    It takes a while for the tank to become mature even with the old healthy sponge filter added.

After reading this thread I ordered some Bio-Spira Freshwater version today.
    To be here tomorrow.
    When the new acrylic tank gets here, I will put an existing sponge filter in it and I will add the Bio-Spira as well.
    just to see how things go.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123