ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Big Tank Big Water Change

Default Big Tank Big Water Change

Just curious... does anyone know to keep a 5,000 gallon tank clean (free from algae growth, etc.)? Also, do you clean it as frequent (compared to a tank that's 200 gallon)? And what if the tank is 10,000 gallons, is the frequency of water changes the same for that of a 5,000 gallon tank?

**Angie**

Registered Member

Default Re:Big Tank Big Water Change

Though they do occasionally "attach" to discus, plecostomas catfish are extremely efficient at keeping algae off the glass. Bioload is the key determining factor for W/C's but all things being equal I would say you could do W/C's a little less frequently than a 200G.

5000G?

TC

angie, are you thinking about setting up a pool to use? indoor or outdoor?

terry has the key, it's all in the bioload. unless you've got thousands of fish in that thing i don't think you have to change water very often, maybe once a month, the key is circulation and filteration.

so spill it, what you thinking of?? lol

Thanks for responding.

When you refer to bioload, is this defining how many fish in the tank?

Well, the reason why I asked is because when I do decide to make a tank (of my dream that is), I want to be able to have enough information and details as to how to maintain it. Yes, a 5,000G is what I'm thinking of unless I hit a jackpot so big then I'd go for the 20,000G and reserve it as an indoor pool for me and the fishies.

Can you imagine that tank filled with you guys' lovely Discus? Just think how many Discus can reside in a 20,000G tank? I wouldn't need my Clown Loaches to clean the algae off the glass because I'd be swimming in the tank with the Discus! LOL

Any way, I continue to drudge with my lil' tank and dream. The dream is good, however. : )

Good nighty to all.

**Angie**