AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus not Feeding

Registered Member

Default Discus not Feeding

Hi all...

I picked up a pair of adult discus 1 week ago to the day with the intention
    of breeding and after a week they're still not feeding.

They're in a 30 gallon tank with nothing else but a few plants (including CO2). The temp is 30C, the PH is 6.5 and the water is as soft as I'd hope for.

I've tried feeding high quality cichlid pellets and flake as well as frozen
    bloodworms without any luck, as well as 2 20% water changes in the past week.

They're both showing good colour and I'm starting to worry...

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

EP

Registered Member

Default Re:Discus not Feeding

hey EP, i think you should go back and ask the store what their ph is. Maybe your pair are not comforable with the new enviornment.

Also, if you want to breed your discus, you should lower the temp to 28 and do a large W/C daily.

Kevin

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Wait, wait, wait, don't start messing with the pH of the water. You want stable pH and for them to feel comfortable enough to begin eating again. What are these discus used to eating? Adults may take longer to settle in than juveniles. Raise the temp to 88 or so, add a couple of tablespoons salt per 10 gallons, do daily water changes and feed familiar foods. Most discus will eat live blackworms.

Registered Member

Kevin...

One step ahead I bought them privately and they were in 6.5 ph water conditions... and I thought it might be an idea to get them feeding and conditioned before attempting to breed them just yet.

Carol...

I saw them taking frozen bloodworms when I was checking them out, so I know they're familiar...

I tried upping the water changes to a daily schedule, and since then they've become a lot more enthusiastic.
    They both still look healthy, and lo and behold, the male has started feeding, with the female looking a _lot_ more inquisitive, so things are looking up

Thanks a heap to both of you for the suggestions, they're very much appreciated...

Thanks again,

EP