AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Selecting Discus

Registered Member

Default Re: Selecting Discus

Yes today I made a water change of 50%. And should I be worried about the tail of this discus?

http://prntscr.com/9szr2f

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by DanLFC97 View Post
    Yes today I made a water change of 50%. And should I be worried about the tail of this discus?

http://prntscr.com/9szr2f
    The tail will grow back if you keep with the water changes, but you will need to age your water as suggested. A little bit of regular salt will help with the fins as well.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Thanks alot and thanks for helping me while you are at work.

This forum is awesome!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Thanks alot and thanks for helping me while you are at work.

This forum is awesome!
    Not a problem. I actually am on the forum the most whilst at work. Luckily for me, this is our down time here at work.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Update: Slime coat and fins are recovering. The only thing that is worrying me a small spot. I dont know if is a piece of the slime coat or something else.

http://prntscr.com/9ti87j
    http://prntscr.com/9tiab5

Registered Member

Also the fish haven't ate anything since I put them in the tank. I am giving them a little bit of bloodworms and they ignore it.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Also the fish haven't ate anything since I put them in the tank. I am giving them a little bit of bloodworms and they ignore it.
    That isn't a good sign. Discus will typically always go for the bloodworms. Have they eaten since you posted this last?

Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    That isn't a good sign. Discus will typically always go for the bloodworms. Have they eaten since you posted this last?

Last Sunday, they ate a small amount. Since then they are still eating small amounts, but they are not touching the food as soon as I put it in the aquarum they are eating it when it sinks and comes near them.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Last Sunday, they ate a small amount. Since then they are still eating small amounts, but they are not touching the food as soon as I put it in the aquarum they are eating it when it sinks and comes near them.
    That is better than nothing. Keep doing what you are doing. If I were you, I would remove the substrate you currently have. However, if you choose to do this, you will have to do it in a certain fashion. If you decide to do it, shoot me a pm and I will tell you how to properly do it.

Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Terry

20160214_115319.jpg

So this is my first discus and after reading little I'm still a bit sketchy on the eye thing. Plus I would like to know what strain of snakeskin this is, as it came from the LFS. Thank you for the help.

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus and planted tanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shive View Post
    [quote author=realbetta link=board=21;threadid=14703;start=30#msg163023 date=1074657659]
    To me, I don't think Discus look good in bare tank unless they still in the shop. Is there a setup so we can keep both, I am thinking at least I will keep plants in thin pots. - move plants around while cleaning the gravel. Would that works.
    That might work but it's the gravel that creates the real problem of cleaning the tank. Here is a suggestion. I have a BBT(bare bottom tank) but I like the advantages of plants such as Nitrite disposal and oxygenation of the water plus they give your tank a deeper look! Get 1 or 2 peices of driftwood the kind with slate on the bottom to hold it down. Now get some Java Moss and Java Fern using plastic fishing line tie your Java plants to the drift wood! It will grow and propagate on the drift wood. It has low light and trace element requirments and and grows rather fast! In about 4 weeks you can remove the fishing line and the plants will continue to grow on the drift wood.

So who says you can't have plants and a bare bottom too! ;D[/QUOTE]

Very nice idea. I am also considering keeping floati g plants which are proven ammonia and nitrates feeders

I was referring to floating plants, thus keeping bottom bare as well as reducing nitrates

This thread is old but I agree with you about the gravel. It's way hard to keep clean enough for Discus.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Li

Thank you, I need that information. Now I will definitely choose healthy discus.

Real Name
    Jon

Thumbs up Re: Selecting Discus

Great info Beta. Never saw this anywhere before.
    Looking forward for more tips.

Real Name
    Francis

Generally...... following are when selecting Discus:
    1. Eye
    2. Finage
    3. Gill
    4. Forehead
    5. Body
    6. Color
    7. Behaviour
    8. Size
    9. Swimming Posture
    10. Discus’s Poop .
    11. All Discus In the Tank

Quote Originally Posted by jonnoya View Post
    Great info Beta. Never saw this anywhere before.
    Looking forward for more tips.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415