Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Selecting Discus

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:Selecting Discus

high temps and metronidazole may help

Registered Member

Nice Post Beta!

I did one like yours long ago But I think Many have forgot!

Takecare
    Cary Gld!

Registered Member

hi guys, i inherited 4 discus of about 3-4" and they r football shaped. other than that they r healthy n fat n r even cleaning everywhere as we speak. wot would u guys do? cull or keep? ???

Registered Member

¿¿do you know how old are them?? many discus when young are a little football shaped and when they grow up they become rounder??

I have one football who I keep happily with the rest.

Registered Member

i've had them about 4 months and apart from getting thicker they dont seem to have grown much. they have big eyes too so they r definitely stunted.

Registered Member

Uuuuuhhhh!! I have two guys 1.5" and they have not grown at all neither getting thick, ¿¿can a runt be as small as 1.5"??

Yes, they can stop growing at 1.5 inches

Registered Member

Default Selecting First Discus

Hi all;
    I am new to discus but want to start it right. How should I choose my first discus? What strain? How many should I start with in hope for a breeding pair later? What size? How old?

I have a 55 gal plants tank - and want to add few discus to it. Right now I only care about strain that easy to take care of. I may not have time to check PH or buying RO.
    After all my learning, I may either start with a few Red Turquois or Wild Discuss. Could you all help me out.
    Thanks

Registered Member

Realbetta. . . IMHO I suggest the following:

1. Start with domestic breed not wild. The domestic breed will probably have been raised in water conditions similar to yours.
    2. Size: 3 or 4 inches. . . their survival rate will be a bit better. Absolutely nothing below 2.5 inches, unless you are a gambler :-)
    3. Purchase 6
    4. Discus are pretty dirty fish and a planted 55 gallon aquarium probably is not the best idea. . . actually it really is not a good idea :-( The easiest way to raise healthy discus is in a bare-bottom tank. You could have a few plastic plants and possibly something that resembles a giant root for the fish. Many just keep tanks with nothing in them.
    5. Paint the outside bottom of the tank (more on that in other posts) and paint or secure a background to the back of the tank.
    6. Don't spend your money on an RO unit at this time. . . you don't need it. If you don't have a pH test kit, check with a LFS and most likely your tap water is the same.
    7. Water changes, water changes, water changes. . . every day! 30% on a daily basis. This is probably the most important aspect of keeping discus.
    8. Check out all the posts in SimplyDiscus and read everything you can on discus keeping before you put the first one in your tank.

I hope this helps

Beginners are most successful when they chose healthy discus from a reputable breeder/hobbyist/supplier. Do you have one near you? If so get to know him/her. In addition to discus you will have a mentor to help with questions.

Color and strain doesn't matter that much. Get your discus from someone who specializes in discus and will stand behind the sale.

If you can't find anybody in your area then I would pick one of the folks that have banners on this site.

You want to start with 6 or more discus. 2 to 3 inches is an afordable size, but they need a bare bottom tank to grow out . You would have a better idea of color and pattern if you can afford larger fish. If you want them in a planted tank you should buy discus that are nearly grown. Perhaps someone has a retired pair of turquoise or pigeon blood adults.

Registered Member

Default Re:Selecting First Discus

Thank to all of you for excellent advises. I have a little clue now. Glad to found you and this site.

Registered Member

P.S. Fill out your member information, I checked to see where you were, some people check that and then might be able to pass along local information.

Registered Member

Don't forget the member map. . . the pins are cool!

Registered Member

D;

I am in Houston, TX. One of reason I want Discus because I saw them in a beautiful planted tank at one LFS. Please advise me why it not possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Discus are pretty dirty fish and a planted 55 gallon aquarium probably is not the best idea. . . actually it really is not a good idea :-( The easiest way to raise healthy discus is in a bare-bottom tank. You could have a few plastic plants and possibly something that resembles a giant root for the fish. Many just keep tanks with nothing in them.I hope this helps

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast