AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Selecting Discus

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:Selecting Discus

You can do adults in a planted tank.

Juveniles do not grow very well because you cannot keep the tank clean enough

[quote author=Carol_Roberts link=board=21;threadid=14703;start=30#msg163015 date=1074656777]
    You can do adults in a planted tank.

Juveniles do not grow very well because you cannot keep the tank clean enough
    [/quote]

I've tried it too many times but juvenile discus never seem to grow fast in a planted tank. Part of the reason could be that in a BB tank there is more attention to cleanliness and waterchange while in aplanted tank it is practically not possible

Registered Member

Default Discus and planted tanks

To me, I don't think Discus look good in bare tank unless they still in the shop. Is there a setup so we can keep both, I am thinking at least I will keep plants in thin pots. - move plants around while cleaning the gravel. Would that works.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Nope.

Buy adults.

Or don't be disappointed when your juveniles stop growing at 3 inches.

Registered Member

IMHO if you do decide to keep adults in a planted tank you should keep no more than one per 20 to 25 gallons of water. Yes it is possible. . . However, I would still advise against it IMVHO.

I don't know about the rest of the SimplyDiscus group, but it was hard for me originally to get use to the idea of a bare bottom tank. After long discussions with other individuals who have much experience in this area. . . it finally sunk in that it is to your advantage to keep both either young or adult discus in a bare bottom tank.

So, I kind of did a mental compromise. On my 125 gallon tank, I painted the bottom (outside) with a paint that simulated fine gravel. Then, I purchased a very attractive background that had plants, rocks, wood and things (very pretty and bright). Then after trial an error with drift wood, found some large ceramic pieces that looked just like wood simulating large roots (gave the little guys a place to feel secure when they needed it). I also tried some plastic plants, but in the end removed them from the tank because they complicated the cleaning process.

Keeping the tank clean and water changes on a daily basis have proven to be the key to success for me. I've been keeping tropical fish for 30 years and never had the success I currently enjoy.

Everyone who see's the big tank are always amazed and comment on how beautiful the set-up looks. Without the generally good advice of the SimplyDiscus members and the friends I made through the site, I'm sure things would not have gone as well.

In the end you need to make your own decisions. . . but, you will find that the potential for long term success will be multiplied if you take most of the advice :-)

Registered Member

Jim
    Your tank sounds interesting!
    Can you post some pictures of it for us?

Donna

Registered Member

Donna. . . I've been meaning to do that, but every time it comes to mind I get diverted by work, kids, wife, honey-do's or just staring at the fish :-)

I will try to make it a priority (promises, promises :-)

Registered Member

Default Re:Discus and planted tanks

[quote author=realbetta link=board=21;threadid=14703;start=30#msg163023 date=1074657659]
    To me, I don't think Discus look good in bare tank unless they still in the shop. Is there a setup so we can keep both, I am thinking at least I will keep plants in thin pots. - move plants around while cleaning the gravel. Would that works.

[/quote]

That might work but it's the gravel that creates the real problem of cleaning the tank. Here is a suggestion. I have a BBT(bare bottom tank) but I like the advantages of plants such as Nitrite disposal and oxygenation of the water plus they give your tank a deeper look! Get 1 or 2 peices of driftwood the kind with slate on the bottom to hold it down. Now get some Java Moss and Java Fern using plastic fishing line tie your Java plants to the drift wood! It will grow and propagate on the drift wood. It has low light and trace element requirments and and grows rather fast! In about 4 weeks you can remove the fishing line and the plants will continue to grow on the drift wood.

So who says you can't have plants and a bare bottom too! ;D

Registered Member

IME it depends,

On the water You are useing!

The amount of fish per tank!

The foods You are feeding!

The filtration You are useing!

And most of all Your Goals!

I still say More W/C's faster the growth with any fish! it has been proven time and time again!

Cary Gld!

Registered Member

Default Re: Selecting Discus

thought i would bring this thread back to where it started and thank beta for the great info. thanks beta. good job!

pat.

I have the same thing in my 90g tank, java fern secured to driftwood. It looks great and makes the tank easy to clean still. A great compromise between a planted tank and a bare bottom tank.
    Sincerely, Chris

Registered Member

Great article Beta! Thanks for posting. Only thing is that I just recently joined and didn't get the chance to see the pictures . If and when you have the time, can you please post again the pictures that go with your article.

Thanks,
    Gene

Yes, I need to se the pics too! Thanks!

I have Anubias as plants in my tank and seeing as how they are a plant that needs their roots exposed in order to absorb their nutrients, i keep em unattached and they are heavy enough to stay at the bottom. They are growing extremely well in the tank and the discus love em.

Jason.

I was a strong believer that the planted tank was the ONLY option. Now I see the flaws in my thoughts, i have been keeping discus in a bare bottom for a while now and life couldnt be any easier.Plus the results on the fish are great too.

Can someone re post the pics? Even if they are not the same ones.

Or if someone could start another thread on this. I think we really need to get an article of the library to help 'educate' on what quality really means and what to look for!

Thanks
    In discus limbo atm! So much to do and so little time!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast