ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: price of CBW in Los angeles?

Default Re: price of CBW in Los angeles?

I agree stick with Dan....as far as prices....well I like to use the old saying you get what you pay for.....A pound from Dan cost me 24.99 total when all of the fee's are added in. I can drive 5 minutes down the road to the local pet store and buy a pound of blackworms for 13 dollars. The difference in quality is night and day.....I have never recieved anything less than healthy clean worms from Dan..The ones at the LPS ???...well I will use them if I run out before my next order from Dan hits the front door but why feed my discus hamburger when I can feed them steak.....

Randy 8)

Registered Member GulfCoastDiscus's Avatar

I agree with you Randy. Several times I had to buy at your LFS when I run out. The quality is night and day. It's all my fault. I use to feed my discus BH then I tried CBW and now they hardly touch the BH. Spoiled that what it is.

Dan

i believe dan is a fair person to deal with, most people think they can plop some worms in water and stick them in the refridge and they're alright.

but think for a moment, how do you treat your fish when they are shipped overnight to your door, you take great care to ensure they acclimate properly right?!

worms are kinda like fish, they are shipped with hardly no water in a plastic bag, putting a time limit on their life. once received they have been in that bag for quite awhile, maybe dan can shed light on how long.
    anyway, they need to be well rinsed. the next 2 days are detrimental to their survival. they need lots of fresh water with no chemicals. i really don't think temp matters, look how they thrive in your fish tanks under filters and stuff.

anyway i tried using fish tanks, some batches died, some lived, once i started going through 1-2lbs a week i decided i had to do something.
    i noticed cary used his waster r/o water to rinse them and i decided to try that, since then i have lost not once batch of worms.

i've come to the conclusion its' all in the water quality, nothing more, those who have had bad luck with worms is because they are not getting rinsed correctly.
    you can't put the blame on dan, it takes time to ship them, they just need proper care when they reach you, just like fish.

IMO
    mike nitzh

It seems this thread has gotten a bit off course... Newtodiscus had asked how to buy CBW locally, as he/she apparently is not available to be at home, if they are shipped. Newtodiscus... maybe if you contact Dan, he can give you the name of a retailer he ships to, where you can buy them at your convenience.

However, I will take advantage of the opportunity to add my 2 cents... The few times I've had a problem with getting CBW, it was Airborne's fault, not Dan's! And even so, Dan made it right. I'm not one of Dan's bigger customers... we use approximately 4 lbs per month. In fact, I just received an order of CBW's an hour ago... it wasn't due to arrive until tomorrow. Maybe Airborne has been reading this thread. ;D

Judi
    ;D

Registered Member

:'(

Frank, in reply to your comment:
    (P.S- Tony 1313, what was your experience- ditto says nothing! )

OK now your getting the full story lol...
    I have ordered from Dan about a half dozen times. The fist few times his product was exelent (healthy fat chubby wiggly) and the last couple of times they have been pile of mush. As far as dilevery I'd order them and recieve them the next day. For all orders Dans care directions were followed to a T.
    I tried contacting Dan about it but it took a while for him to get back to me(I think he was out of town) and after shooting e-mails back and forth he offered me a discount on my next order(I haven't ordered since). I decided it wasn't worth the hassle of haveing them shipped cross country and possibly getting a bad batch again and have to go through contacting Dan and going through the sos again. My son works at a lfs and picks up bw's for me now(the quality has been exelent thus far). As far as ordering from Dan again it will probably happen (myself and a couple of breeders have talked about bulk orders). We'll see!

Just my experences,
    Tony

Registered Member

;DCha ching.. my 2 cents worth..

IMO temperature is critical with the worms. It also goes along with the recommended storage of them direct from Dan.

Secondly, I would never purchase them from a lfs; I would choose a number of other options for decent food and wait for their arrival. One source only for me; Dan.

He has been fair with me as well!

Jean ;D 8)

Registered Member

Thanks Oodi for helping me out. I didn't intend to start the subject about Dan's CBW. I am very sure that Dan's CBW are the best based on the feedback I read so far. The only thing is I have to commute 1 hours and a half each way to work every day and there is no way I can be home in mid-day to receive the worm. That is why I asked anybody know any local fish store so I can buy it on my way home or in the weekends. Thanks everybody for your valuable input.

Hoang

Registered Member

Whats the old saying?

SCHITT HAPPENS SOMETIMES IF WE WERE ALL PERFECTO
    WE WOULD ALL JUST BE STATUES

Hoang, maybe you can arrange a way for the worms to be delivered to someone else or have them delivered to work. As long as they stay cool, they will be fine.
    As for me expereince with Dan, it is the best possible service i could hope for. Things can and do happen with shipping, but it is how things are handled. Dan excedded my expectations the one and only time the worms came in bad due to shipping delays. He replaced the entire order free of charge the next day no questions asked. No picures to send, no " send back the bad ones", Dan just took my word they were not in good condition due to a shipping snafu, and replaced them. That kind of service this day is almost unheard of.
    To me its not what happened, its how the problem is dealt with. Dan, in my opinion, handled the problem i had very professionally, and for that all my buisness is done with him.
    My order is always here when i need it and the worms are unbeatable for a staple discus food.
    I dont think it matters if you order 1 lb or 30 lbs the service is the same. My orders are always different.
    If and when the worms come in limp and lifeless, clean them in cold, clean water, dont stack the worms more than a 1/2 inch thick, and dont over fill them with water.and the next morning they will be squiggley like you read about.
    Good luck Hoang, i hope you find some, they are the best food as far as im concerned.
    Take care, Matt

Hoang,

It's my pleasure!! The only other suggestion I could make, is if you know someone else near you, that is interested in getting some, and would be available to receive the shipment. That way, you could split an order.

Cary,

Amen!

Judi

Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Tony1313! Much better than the ditto, and it does sound to me like Dan tried to do right by you! Again, thanks for the reply. Frank

Registered Member

Hi,

Dan replaced my worm at no cost when the worm was delivered a day late no question asked. I ordered two or three pounds.

David

Registered Member

All,

I just send my order to Dan. I didn't know that I don't have to be home to receive the shipment since it is cold and it should be ok when I got home according to Dan. I really appreciate all the info I got from Simply members and honestly, I am really overwhelmed for all the helping hands you guys provide. Man, I am in good place for my new hobby ;D

Registered Member

Let me say this I still get my worms from Dan. Cary you right again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast