AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Best source for a water storage container

Registered Member

Default Best source for a water storage container

Where is the best source for obtaining a water storage container? I am looking for something upright like a garbage can about 50-60 gallons.

Registered Member

Default Re:Best source for a water storage container

those rubbermaid container that most people here use??
    can get it at lowes,homedepot i believe

I got my Rubbermaids from Walmart. I have also seen big containers at Home Depot, Canadian Tire (for the Canadians) and other similar stores.

Registered Member Larry Grenier's Avatar

Not quite as big but I got a 44 gallon brute (I think; I'm at work) trash can. You can buy a wheeled dolly that locks onto the bottom so you can move it around too.

Registered Member

Larry,

I can see myself now wheeling a 44 gallon trash can around full of water and tipping it over. LOL

Registered Member Larry Grenier's Avatar

Actually, once it's full of water, it's hard to tip unless you're rolling fast then > :'(

Registered Member

Look around, another good place to find something is at 'feed/tack' stores. I got a food grade 55gallon barrel that peppers were shipped in. they were selling it to keep grain in for your horses. I really like it the top screws on and off not just a little bung hole (yes, that's really the right term and no I don't need any TP). anyway it having one the top comes off makes it easy to clean, and the pepper smell is almost gone. :-\

Registered Member

Hi all,
    I have acquired some pickling tubs from my work(we have Cantor's deli at my hotel), which would work great as well. They are about 50 gals each and sound like the ones Rick was describing with the large screw-off lids. Any dill pickle plants nearby?

Steve

Registered Member

I am still deciding on where to source these containers but here's what I have uncovered so far: ( my preference is a 55 g poly drum so I am focusing on those)

A local drum manufacturer in Brampton (Hunter Drums) sells new 55g poly drums with an open top and lid for CAD$47 or a 45g drum with a closed top with 2 bung holes for CAD$45. I would prefer the open top as cleaning would be easier. I also called the local Pepsi bottling plant but have not heard back from them if them would have used 55 g drums available for sale.

Registered Member

plastic barrels can be found in a number of places. check the yellow pages for food companies and plastic factories. i got my barrels from a hazardous waste disposal company. my barrels used to contain broken and deformed paint balls but after lots of elbow grease and time i tried raising guppies in them and found them to be ok.
    have you considered making a holding tank out of wood? lots of companies give away pallets that can easily be nailed together in the size you want. then you just need to line the inside with plastic sheeting and fill with water.

not all pallet wood is good for this. be selective.
    plastic sheeting can be bought at homehardware, canadian tire and other hardware stores.

Registered Member

Discuskrib,

I like your suggestion but I don't have the room or the time to build a holding tank. I decided to buy a new 55g drum from the drum manufacturer, Hunter Drums for CAD$47. It has an open top with a removable lid. I just picked it up today and I think it will be perfect for what I need. Here's a picture of the drum...

Warren