AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help on buying filters

Default Re:Help on buying filters

Hi Ryan

not just the sponge.....the whole filter ....

$ 7.00 + shipping + waiting = .....?

Registered Member

Fish Addict, if I had to choose I would go w/ the A/clear 500. You can use different media in it if you want, or the 2 sponges as most do. The biowheel filters are noisy and seem to splatter more water around the edge of tank if water level gets low....too much trickle, not enough flow.
    I like millennium filters, owned now by Marineland but still good. good luck J.T.

Hey Fish Addict,

The whole filter is 7 bucks. Even if you only bought that one item and paid for shipping, you are still better off.

Registered Member

I have a 75 gal Jetstream with "giant" bio-wheel and Tidewater II sump filter which reportedly pumps 800-900 gph. According to my lfs guy who set it up, it should be overkill filtration. However it doesn't seem to me to do as good a job as back in the old days when I had an undergravel filter and Whisper HOB. After I got it cycled I had a green water algae problem, so I got a HOT Magnum and some DE. After that it was crystal clear...for 3-4 days. Now, even though I do approx 50% wc daily the water is kinda hazy blue. Ammonia and nitrites are 0 and nitrates are too low to register (below 20 is all I can tell). Is it the Prime I use for my wc's? Should I cut back on wc's? Do more?

From the front of the tank it looks okay, but from the side it has the blue haze.

All the talk of AC's and Emperor's makes me wonder if the bio-wheel/sump thing is not the best option. I got it cause I like the filter to be hidden and not hanging on the back, but mostly I want my water clear!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12