AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Gorilla Rack experts...

Default Re:Help Gorilla Rack experts...

Al, try Menards. They have the racks you are looking for.

ok thats it. lets get a petition going that all houses built should have a fishroom with racks all installed!!
    hope you find your raCKS Brew. Mench emailed me the parts number before. but of course that was far far away on my old computer!!

Registered Member

al,

check out orchard. that is where i used to get them.

jun

Registered Member

Al,
    Is there an Orchard Supplies near you? I just got a Gorrilla Rack from them (72x72x18). The model is GR7200 ($89.00). It's a heavy duty rack, 3 shelves, very easy to assemble. You just need a hammer.

;D
    Ive found a place where to buy these gorilla racks (actually dont really care who's racks they are) but my concern is how much wieght should one shelf hold? Ive seen the Gorilla Rack GR7200 mentioned. It is rated at 2000lbs be shelf. Is that enough? If I put 100G tank on it, will be hold?

Another question about the dimensions on the shelves vs. the tanks! If the rack is 36" long for example, is it inside dimension of 36" or outside? Standard tank sizes come in 36" so can I fit a 36" tank in a 36" rack? ???

Btw, what is the conversion again from Gallons to lbs? Am I correct that 100G of water = 800lbs?

Thanks!

Registered Member

It's close depending on who you listen too:
    1 gallon of water equals 8.33 lbs,
    100=833lbs

Thanks George! For some reason or another, I had figured 100G to weigh around 8000lbs instead of 800lbs! LOL! Now I chuckle because I told the service guy at Totem (Canadian hardware store) that I need a shelf that will hold 8000lbs! LOL! ;D Oops! I wonder what he will come up with! :P

8000 lbs? Whew that would be some rack!!! I have 2-8 foot sections in my living room and I have 2-55 gallon tanks on each shelf. We only went 2 high, didn't want to have to drag that darn ladder all over the house. On one shelf, we have a 55 and a 90 gallon tank, they have about 1/2 inch between the tanks, the 90 gallon overhangs just a bit ( we got the 18 inch ends, that means 18 OD, about 15 ID. We replaced the pressboard with 3/4 inch plywood, got 3 shelves out of one sheet, with just enough left over to help strengthen the cross braces. None of the racks show any signs of bowing or stressing in any way. HTH Susan and Bill

Here it is

Thanks Susan and Bill for the reassurance! I could only wish for that in my livingroom btw! ;D I now know what Im looking for!

I purchased my Edsal rack at Home depot. It is very similar to what the stores use for their merchandise. Here are the part numbers:

96" Z beam: 428-062 you would need at least 4 of these

24"x72" frame: 428-179 You need 2 of these.

Each shelf can hold 3500lbs. You will need to purchase 2x4 or 2x6 or some type of plywood to put across the beams.
    HTH

Hi Al,

If it's not too late, here's something you should look into:

http://www.cisco-eagle.com/miva/merc...de=DoubleRivet

I got 3 60"w x 30"d x 84"h shelf that cost me around $110 for just the frame plus delivery since I didn't want to have to haul the parts to my house. Some claims of so much lbs./shelf are just unbelievable. The double-rivets on this one sounds more credible to me.

I've set up 2 already (but not completely set-up since I have a lot of stuff to be moved ;D). I'll post the pics if you want.

HTH,

Alan

Registered Member

Al,

If you still need information on racking, custom or standard racks made by Scotland Rack right here is good old Bensalem, PA. They are(my guess) 10 gauge steel. I believe Scotland Rack has a website. Absolutely will hold 2100 lbs per shelf can have up to four shelves. Order from Fred Hill and Company in Philadelphia, PA.

They have standard sizes and custom made. I have several 72x72x30 and 72x72x24 - 4 shelf. They cost about $125 and are more sturdy than the Gorilla Racks that BJ's is selling. We also have one of those that is 48x72x18.
    Mary

Fishngal, you are right, I went to their website and those look great. May have to order me some to pick up real soon. Check it out Al, the load ratings look real good.
    http://www.scotlandrack.com/
    Thanks!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12