ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Its so cold that.......

Default Re:Its so cold that.......

Well, Yogi and I live in the same state, but he's a little further south than I am. It was down into the 30s last night. It kind of hit us suddenly, a few days ago it had been back into the 70s or 80s and it was nice. Now suddenly it's been cool and windy again. I live on a lake so there's always an icy blast of wind any time you walk outside.

Somehow last night the heat in my house got shut off. When I woke up this morning the thermostat said it was 45 - 50F IN my house! No wonder I had such a hard time sleeping... I would have been better off outside!

Ryan

Real Name
    Willie

Cold is a state of mind, Minnesotan Discus Keepers.

ok.. well all of you get your umbrellas out and come to vancouver!! last week we had cold weather and snow.. but back to rain rain rain. about 5 celcius or so.

Real Name
    Walter

We even had some snow here in North Carolina this weekend (friday morning) which promptly caused a whole slew of accidents (I say the locals don't drive well even in good weather, so when you add bad weather to the mix... crash!!!!).

minus 0 temps here too Dave. I have been running my wood stove full blast in the fish room all week...even with that the temp in the room is only about 70F.. heaters in the tanks are working OT.

I almost killed several hundred Angel Fry.. Their tank is close to the back door and I forgot to turn the heater back on. I came back a few hours latter and they were all laying in the tank flat...temp was 60F : Idiot Brew!

I resisted the urge to dump hot water in, turned on the heater again and waited for the death toll to rise...believe or not... I didn't lose one...I thought for sure I would, but didn't.

anyhow... I want warmth..sitting on the wood stove is too much of a quick fix.

-al
    ps..
    Its snowing >

Registered Member

We just got back from vacation...nice warm 80+ temps,palm trees etc,etc...get off the plane to 15 inches of snow and COLD....
    The bride keeps telling me that I would miss the change of seasons....YEA RIGHT.....I would like to try being warm all winter just once to see if I would really miss the seasons...

Mench

Oh and Dan,I have a remote that is programed to start the cars at a preprogrammed time each day..so I don't even have to push a button..LOL

Well, got the pipes fixed this am. Nice to have water for the horses in this cold. Corrosion had complicated this one, so it was ready to go anyway, just picked the coldest day of the season, water heater is ok, lol.

Al, glad you saved those fry, what a shocker!!

Mench, I feel the same way, give me a nice comfortable year round temp; can always come up north to visit the cold seasonal changes if you're missing it. I'm tied to this practice so I guess I'll just have to keep suffering it thru the winters, lol. My sister in Englewood Fla., keeps telling me to come on down where it's nice & warm. My son is now in Jacksonville, wish I could, but c'est la vie!! Glad you had a good vacation, makes the winter go faster, I think.

Hector, the pipes in the barn are wrapped with heat tapes & insulation, but the plug had been pulled out, not put back in. We keep light bulbs & wood covers on the faucets & drain-back water pumps. Works most of the time, in this incident, corrosion contributed to the problems. Heat tape is plugged in now, you can be we'll watch that one more closely.
    lol, Dottie ;D ;D

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

wholly $hitt is it cold. I have not been able to get my truck going for 3 days now.

Jim, which caribbean island are you located at in the picture you posted that has spruce trees so tall? LOL

Hey Ping (Ronny): You're lucky for now with temps at 102. But I don't envy you when those winter months smacks ya (down under) in May-November. Just toss a few ice cubes in the tanks for the adults as they will go thru fishopause (get it...menopause). For the fry guys, don't worry bout them. They like heat. Just not over 90 okay. No boiled discus; it's not a pleasant thang.

Well, I know where I am at that we have a mild winter compared to those up in North. It's you folks fault that we in Northeast and Southeast are feeling those temps at subzero. Man, it's brutal for us. I bury myself in my Northern Nights Down with Du'vet. aaahhhh....

To my pals in Southeast, guard your farming animals and plants. The slightest cold will wipe out the vegetations and farm animals.

And, to Al (BrewMaster15), lucky for you that you went back to your tanks. Good grief. It only happens to the best. Close call -- Whew!

To All: Keep a watch out for Carbon Monoxide. And, keep warm, if you can.

Best regards,
    --Angie--

Registered Member

COLD !!!! ;D SNOW!!!! Love it!!! Bring me more!!!
    Heat and hot weather? you can have my share. I don't wear a coat in winter even....just gloves.

Maybe this summer we'll go to Alaska!!!!

J.T. on L.I.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12