AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New fish, new keeper

Default New fish, new keeper

Probably a vicarious situation eh? I have a 20 gal with two corey cats, a striped pleco, and a new Marlboro Red, about 3" long. My ph is 6.8, temp 86, GH 6, KH 7.
    I didn't know about this site before I bought the lil critter, but I did do a lot of reading.
    Now to my question: All I can get him to eat is bloodworms, no flakes, or pellets will entice him, will worms cause health problems if that's all he eats?

Default Re: New fish, new keeper, after 2 months critique please. :)

Here's a pic of him. Some peppering, I know, but what do ya'll think of him/her?

Default Re: New fish, new keeper

Man, he sure looks better in person than in these pics, heres another.

more, I'm hoping one of these are good enough to give a good view that can be judged by da experts here.

more......

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Judging by his markings I'd say he is still young. (Single juvenile discus do not eat or grow as well as those kept in groups of 6 or more.) He looks like he has not been eating as much as he should. (eye is large for body size)

I'd bump the temp up to 88 or so and feed him 6 times per day. Right now if he only eats bloodworms then feed him bloodworms. Go ahead and add a good flake like ONF1 to his diet. Keep the tank very clean - vacuum leftovers and change water daily.

Watch to make sure he really is eating and not spitting out food. Does he have dark feces (like mouse droppings)?

The Ocean Nutrition Formula One flake will help to fill in the red color too ;D

That's what I was afraid of Carol. I know he wasn't eating much, I only had tet discus pellets, and flake for the first 4 days he was here, yesterday, I went to Petsmart and bought some hikari blood worms, he's pigging out on them. I fed him as much as I felt safe yesterday evening. Bad thing is, today, my ammonia level spiked to 1.3!!!! I did a 50% water change, raised the temp to 88, and added some zeolite to one of my hang on filters. Oh, I also removed the lil carbon attachment from my bubble tube, and cleaned all the filter media with tank water.
    Another bad thing, I start graveyards tonight, 12 hr shift, and I won't be able to watch it after 5pm.
    The fish are all still acting happy, and the lil guy is eating worms, not shy at all.
    Man, I don't know if my nerves can handle discus keeping.

Do you have anybody else at home to help feed?

Yeah, I just showed my 12 yr old son what to do. He's a very responsible kid, so I trust him totally. I just don't know if he can handle an emergency, or recognize one. But, then again, I wouldn't do much better than him at this stage, and at my level of inexperience.
    I just fed him a block of blood worms, I then cleaned the substrate of all the leftovers, then replaced the water. I'm hoping that in the am when I get home the ammonia level is tolerable.

Oh, and another question. You said that he may fair better with more discus, would you recommend that I purchase a few more? It's a 20 gal tank, and right at the moment, I'm a little stressed about these minor difficulties.
    I'm otherwise very pleased with my water quality, ammonia aside, as I'm sure the extra feeding yesterday caused it, and won't make that mistake again. From now on, I will clean the bottom after a feeding. I have plenty of "aged" water on standby. So that won't be a problem.
    Thank you again for the tips.

I would wait. If you decide you really want to take the plunge into discus I would set up 55 gallon and purchase 6 or 8 juveniles from a reputable source with health, well-fed discus. Get started right instead of playing catch-up with discus who've had a hard start in life.

That's what I was thinking. I have a 75 that used to be a reef aquarium. I've been meaning to set it back up, but it's tough to come up with the time. ??? excuses excuses! LOL, at least with the larger tank, water quality swings are not as abrupt, and if I set it up for discus, no rocks, plants, etc. It won't be very expensive. Hmmmmmmm, you've talked me into it.
    I will be at work soon, but I have www access there, so I won't miss anything here. My new home on the web!!!!

Registered Member

Welcome to the world of discus. First of all don't worry so much about your discus, they're much tougher than you would expect, and your just learning for now. However you will soon be fully infected with the discus desease so your better off to just get that 75 gal going soon. Definetly keep it a bare bottom tank with a heater and hydrosponge, take it from me it's will save you headaches while your just learning. With a bare bottom you can feed your fish more often and cleaning is easier, I wouldn't feed your discus in a planted tank more than 2 or 3 times a day or you will have ammonia problems. Carol is right on with buying at least 6 discus at once for your new setup, Just a suggestion but buy all the same color(Marlboro Reds, Etc...)because if you decide to let them pair and try breeding you will continue a proven and true color strain. Just some thoughts from a fairly new discus keeper who learned some hard lessons.

Registered Member

Default Re: New fish, new keeper/Ammonia

I was told if you keep your PH below 7.0, ammonia isn't toxic.

Marty

[. Bad thing is, today, my ammonia level spiked to 1.3!!!! I did a 50% water change,

Thanks folks for the replies.
    Is that true about the ph/ammonia relation? Sure wish I were better at chemistry!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast