AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Experienced Breeders please Stand up

Registered Member

Default Experienced Breeders please Stand up

Hi All,

I've posted this in the Breeding section however it did not much attention there.

I'd like some feedback on the breeding practices of some our more experienced members. It would be great to have a beginner's reference thread in the breeding section.

What's the typical breeding tank set up(size, filtration, lighting etc.)?
    How do you choose your pairs?
    Do you wait for them to pair up in a group or force two known breeders together?
    What are the water parameters?
    How do you induce spawning?
    How many of you are using RO/Tap mix, Peat water, or straight tap?
    How do you condition your pairs for breeding (feeding regiment, temps etc)
    Do you clean(medicate) your pairs prior to spawning?
    Do you use cones or PVC?
    Do you use mash to cover the eggs?
    What do you do after they spawn? How do you treat the eggs to prevent fungus?
    What temperature, water parameters do you maintain after the spawn?
    WC schedule after the spawn?
    Feeding the pair after the spawn ? what type of food and how often?

Basically, I'm looking for your experiences and preferences. Tell us what works for you.

Thank you.
    Oleg.

Default Re:Experienced Breeders please Stand up

Sent PM.

Registered Member

Angie, thanks for your PM.

N - E time, Oleg **Angie**

Registered Member

Nobody wants to share?

O.

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

What's the typical breeding tank set up(size, filtration, lighting etc.)?24 x 20 x 20, airoperated sponge filters, lighting unimportant veiwing only concern
    How do you choose your pairs? shape, temperment, no genetic defects, color and intensity, pattern
    Do you wait for them to pair up in a group or force two known breeders together?both methods
    What are the water parameters? ph 6 to 6.5, conductivity 80 to 120 ms, temp 82 to 84
    How do you induce spawning?no inducement
    How many of you are using RO/Tap mix, Peat water, or straight tap?i use ro mix tap and peat
    How do you condition your pairs for breeding (feeding regiment, temps etc)no extra conditioning required or tricks used
    Do you clean(medicate) your pairs prior to spawning?no
    Do you use cones or PVC?flower pots
    Do you use mash to cover the eggs?almost never
    What do you do after they spawn? How do you treat the eggs to prevent fungus?nothing
    What temperature, water parameters do you maintain after the spawn?same as spawning conditions
    WC schedule after the spawn?regular 25% w/c daily
    Feeding the pair after the spawn ?same as normal what type of food and how often?heart mix, bloodworms, brineshrimp , tetra bits.

Rod

Registered Member

Thanks Rod,

Sounds like you just let nature take its course. I guess the most important thing in this case, is to start with a great quality stock.

Another question for you - when you say that you wait for them to pair up on their own, do you wait for them to lay eggs in a community tank or do you move them once you notice pairing behavior?

Oleg

Real Name
    Willie

What's the typical breeding tank set up(size, filtration, lighting etc.)? I've spawned lots of pairs in 20's and 29's. Taking a cue from Dennis Hardenburger, I'm moving to large tanks. 30 and 40-gallon breeders are my current favorites. They're best when you have a large spawn.

How do you choose your pairs? I wait for new fish to pair off on their own. Once they're proven breeders, I mix them up to get nice combinations.

Do you wait for them to pair up in a group or force two known breeders together? I usually wait until fish in a community tank pair off on their own.

What are the water parameters? 84F, 50 ppm, pH 7.0

How do you induce spawning? I don't. They spawn on their own. If a pair spawns regularly, then a water change will stimulate spawning. If they haven't spawn yet, there's not much you can do except wait.

How many of you are using RO/Tap mix, Peat water, or straight tap? Mine spawn in straight tap. I have soft water (3 degrees) out of the tap.

How do you condition your pairs for breeding (feeding regiment, temps etc) They get good food, lots of water changes, like all the rest of the tanks. Nothing special at all.

Do you clean(medicate) your pairs prior to spawning? Never.

Do you use cones or PVC? I use cones, but it doesn't matter. They'll spawn on bricks, the side glass, on the heater or on the tank bottom.

Do you use mash to cover the eggs? Yes.

What do you do after they spawn? How do you treat the eggs to prevent fungus? I keep notes on every spawn. I don't find any of the fungicide treatments to be particularly useful. Now I don't use anything. If they're fertilize, then the eggs resist fungus.

What temperature, water parameters do you maintain after the spawn? Nothing changes, 84F, pH 7.0.

WC schedule after the spawn? I try to keep the tank bottom clean due to high slime buildup after spawning. With wrigglers on, I'll change 25% daily.

Feeding the pair after the spawn ? what type of food and how often? They get beefheart mix spawning or not.

Hope that helps, Willie

Registered Member

O my experiences:
    What's the typical breeding tank set up(size, filtration, lighting etc.)?
    29 gal w/sponge filter
    How do you choose your pairs?
    Naturally select their own mate
    Do you wait for them to pair up in a group or force two known breeders
    together?
    Provide mates in a group, no force pairing
    What are the water parameters?
    Conductivity 50-100 Ms
    How do you induce spawning?
    Sometimes I add cool water 50%-75% water change, when I know for sure spawning will take place within a few hours I do a 95% water change. Water is now very clean
    How many of you are using RO/Tap mix, Peat water, or straight tap?
    R.O/Tap water for breeders only
    How do you condition your pairs for breeding (feeding regiment, temps etc)
    I don't change a thing, I feed frozen foods and Red Worms
    Do you clean(medicate) your pairs prior to spawning?
    No need to if you know they are already free of major infections
    Do you use cones or PVC?
    Cones. PVC, Slate
    Do you use mash to cover the eggs?
    No, unless I lose to many fertile eggs over numerous spawnings
    What do you do after they spawn? How do you treat the eggs to prevent fungus?
    30 minutes after I add Formalin to the water, 2 drops per gallon
    What temperature, water parameters do you maintain after the spawn?
    Water is 85, don't feed while eggs are developing
    WC schedule after the spawn?
    10% daily over 2 hour period
    Feeding the pair after the spawn ? what type of food and how often?
    My Discus do not normally eat while they are watching the eggs so I cut it out for 3 days, then feed real small portions

Registered Member

Thank you guys!

How do you recognized the new pairs in the community tank? Do you wait for them to spawn?

Thanks.
    Oleg

Registered Member

You will know when they start to pair off. Most of the time you may see one or two males fighting for the same female. The dominate usually is the winner. The other discus are sometimes chased to the other side of the tank. I alway palce a cone or breeding material on each side of the tank so the newly form pair can make their own choice.

Registered Member

Interesting topic, here is my 2 cents worth that works for me.

Breeding tanks: 55 or 75 gallon tank, with 2-Bio-4 sponge filters and what ever light is on top of tank, and 300 watt heater in 55 gallon tank and 500 watt heater in 75's.
    Choose pairs: No Defects, color pattern, body shape, temperment.
    Pair up in group or force two known together. I have done both, but prefer to pair up in group.
    H2O parameters: 80 ms, temp. 85, Ph 6-6.5.
    Induce spawning: No
    Use RO/Tap mix, Peat water or straight tap: I use straight RO with R/O Right added.
    Condition pairs: No
    Clean pairs prior to spawning: No
    Cones or PVC: Cone and 9" flower pots.
    Mash to cover eggs: Have not had to so far.
    Do after they spawn: nothing.
    Treat eggs to prevent fungus: Do not treat eggs.
    H2O temp.: 85 degrees, H2O parameters maintain after spawn: 80 ms, Ph 6-6.5 or what Ph is at time of spawn.
    W/C schedule after spawn: 25% daily, before spawn, 50-75% daily.
    Feeding schedule after spawn: AM, snack at noon, PM
    Types of food: Plankton Gold Flake, Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 Flake, Tetra Color Bits, Hikari Frozen Blood Worms, Vitamin Booster Flake, Color Flake Brine Shrimp Flake, Plankton/Krill/Spirulina Flake, and my own Shrimp mix.

If the fish are being fed a well balanced and nutional diet, healthy and have lots of clean water, mother nature should take its course. I have also had pairs spawn at a Ph of 7.8 and done real well also.
    I wait for them to spawn in the community tank and then move them into their own tank.

Miles

Registered Member

So far it looks like all of you guys have similar prosedures. I find it intresting tho that none of you do a fluke treatment prior to the spawn.
    I've read in several books and on this board that that's recommended.

O.

Registered Member

Ok. Here's another one for you...Let's say your trying to force to known breeders together, and they've been in there own tank for months now without any results. What do you do in that case? Do you drop the pH or Temp to induce spawning or go for another partner?

Are there any other ticks you have to induce spawning?

Thanks.
    O.

Registered Member

I might be a little different.
    I use 65 gallon tanks for breeders & would use larger if I had the room.
    100% Reconstituted RO water 60 microsemiens ph5.8 temp 83, all my tanks are at 83 spawning & grow outs pumped to the tanks through a drip system, I also do 25% manual water change every day to clean bottom.
    No special feeding just the same for all fish beefheart mix frozen brine shrimp and tetra bits.
    Not always but some times a fluke tab treatment before spawning.
    Pvc and flower pots, I only screen eggs with pairs that have proven to be a problem.
    I do use a funguscide ( maroxy ) one dose after spawning two teaspoons for a 65 gallon tank.
    I usually choose my pairs.
    Dennis

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast