AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Blue Pigeons unite

Default Blue Pigeons unite

I have to let you know some good news. I have forced a pair, and have been watching them lay some eggs and fertilise tonight.
    I recently bought a lovely fish from a good friend of mine, a big Blue Pigeon Blood. I was told that he was a 'randy' sort, so I decided that I woud put him in a tank with an uncomfirmed gender fish, I thought that this fish was a female, so I risked the pairing. This has turned out to be a female, and is my fish called 'One Eye' (i posted some pics of her before) she's only got one eye....needless to say.
    After just over 3 weeks together they have done the dance, quite frustrating for the male, as he was totally ignored when he shook himself on one side of the female(probably thought she was trying to play hard to get) as she is blind on that side . But tonight she has proved herself by laying a load of eggs.
    Both fish are similar, being BPB, but have different shadings of colour, the male is far more vibrant, but I think I could be in for some interesting fry, should it get that far. I'll try to get some photos up soon, maybe later if I get the chance, and keep you guys updated on any (if any ) progress. This is first time for her.....so I am not holding my breath just yet.

Steve

Default Re: Blue Pigeons unite

Photos, One Eye first, she has lost all peppering since being in a lighter coloured tank too.
    Last pic is the male
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (53.8 KB, 72 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (76.6 KB, 87 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (78.3 KB, 108 views)
    • File Type: jpg PB.jpg (84.9 KB, 126 views)

Great news Steve, look forward to their progress.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member diamond_discus's Avatar

Question :

How come you call them Blue Pigeon ? One looks yellow to me and the other have some red in it. How do we usually categorize all these different discus type ?

BTW, the red one looks very nice.

I do have a couple discus that have similar eye problem like yours. That was due to poor water condition, bateria/fungus infection while they were young (and I didn't know what I was doing at that time). How did yours go blind ?

Hey Diamond, I think you need to ask Paul (pscb23) about what is in a name.... I am sure he'll be pleased to explain it. I guess though it is the fact that they are pigeons, with very blue flanks, the photos dont do them justice.
    As for the eye, I actually bought her like that, not sure how it happened, got her from my lfs when she was a little fish maybe 2" I just liked the shape back then. And even with this loss of an eye, she has proved that she can maintain a high level of health and is high up in the pecking order too. Ok, not the best fish in the world, but hey, she's made it.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve.ryall View Post
    Hey Diamond, I think you need to ask Paul (pscb23) about what is in a name.... I am sure he'll be pleased to explain it.

The male PB has a very nice background blue sheen, it is a very nice fish.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

You should get some very nice F1's out of this and will hopefully have some very clean PB's for future breeders!

1977, I really hope that turn out with the traits of the male, as Paul said, this fish IS really nice. I do worry about the peppering on the female, but if I get far enough with the fry, I will have to cull any that are excessively peppered.

Paul, lol thought that would flair up

S~

Your blue pigeon bloods are very pretty fish. I'm not a fan of pigeon bloods, in general, but this is a nice variety, I would be proud to raise this strain.

Steve, good luck. I do think you'll eventually end up with some very pretty fry.

Hey guys, once there is the ability to post photos I'll do it, the fry are now at Day 11 free swimming, still got 60 or so left after the male ate 3/4 of them on day 1

I'll update soon

Steve