AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Breeding In A 55 Gallon Tank

Default Re:Breeding In A 55 Gallon Tank

Thanks nightowl, I'll check for it.

Carol,
    Ok, the ph for water overnite with airstone is 7.2, from the faucet is ph 6.6 my tanks are 6.0. Now hopefully I will understand how ph works.
    Also 8) I HAVE EGGS AND THEY HAVE NOT EATEN THEM SO FAR! ;D
    My next question is as follows: I have 2 light strips on my tank, one for each side. The side that has the eggs on it the light is off because she seems to eat the eggs when the light is on. The other light is on for the left side so the rams can eat, which isn't bothering them at all. I also have a bright green miracle beam light shining on the eggs which she does not mind. Would this be enough light? Do I do a water change again to try to lower the hardness or should I not bother them and see if the eggs hatch? I'm really afraid to even atemp a water change because of the history of egg munching they did. Right now the hardness is 13 drops to turn the water green. Please tell me the egg coloring again so I will know if the egs are fertile? :

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Hi Frank:
    The good news is your discus would not be laying eggs if they were unhappy. The bad news is the eggs probably won't hatch in GH 13. Next time the GH should be low enough. I'd do a water change as I doubt the egggs are viable anyway and you want to keep the pH stable. Remove water from the far side if that helps.

Your lights are fine.

Eggs are laid golden or orangy colored. Those that turn white are dead. Those that turn black after 24 hours or so are alive.

I don't know very much about chlorine removers. I have a well and don't need to use them. Start a thread asking about them in beginners.

Carol,
    I was thinking the same thing. But I wanted to see if they are going to eat them or not. I will do a water change tomorrow. It's a shame because this time they are fanning and watching them. Oh well, in 4 days they can do it akll over again ???
    Thanks I will keep you posted.
    Frank

Registered Member

Hex pause the water changes, till there free swimming then check as your in a planted tank if I recall, leave the light on low but cover the tank with a dark cover black or blue...

Hope this is of help as this worked for me

Wayne

Wayne,
    Thanks but Ccarol was correct as the eggs did not turn black so I did another water change today. Now it takes 9 drops to turn the water green in the tube. Carol, Can I do daily water changes until the water turns green with 3 drops as long as I do not touch the substrate? I know you recommend water changes everyday on bare bottom but if I vacuum the gravel everyday I loose the bacteria and my amonia will shoot up. Right now as long as I vacuum the gravel once a week the ammonia is zero. So again, can I just remove the water only to bring the hardness down or should I wait a couple of days to clean the gravel? I would like to see if I can get the hardness to 3 drops before the next egg laying. :-\

Yes, keep doing water changes . . . and vacuum the gravel - you can't vacuum the bacteria off the gravel, you are only removing the solids. Perhaps the stirring up the stuff in the gravel is what produces the ammonia spike?

You should get a good hatch rate at 6 drops, don't go below 3

Carol,
    Thanks I will keep you posted! 8)
    I hope one day to meet you and TtHANK YOU in person for all your help with my discus. I'm so glad that you are here with all of us.
    I will let you know what the hardness is tomorrow. Have a great night

Carol,
    I did the water change and now it only takes 5 drops to turn the water green!

I did it just in time today because right now it's 8pm and she is currently doing her practice runs on the cone so they will be laying tonight. I guess I will find out if he's fertile :
    I will let you know how they are doing tomorrow. I'm going to really be asking for your help and guidence if they are fertile if it's ok? Also how does one post the pics here and on the side of the posts where my name is?

Registered Member

Carol, I thought salt did raise the hardness of the water ? Also think most of the TDS meters really only read the salt ? When I have fry I add salt to up the hardness for growth. ?

Epsom salt and some sea salt will raise hardness. Table salt will not. You are correct it does increase conductivity, but will not harden the eggs.

To have your picture at the side of the post you have to have it on a website and then post a link to it. (or something like that, lol) Ryan Smith and Brewmaster can help you with that computer-type question. I'll be glad to help all I can with your fish-type questions.

Ccarol,
    Thanks! What about aquarium salt, will that raise the hardness? I do not use table salt I buy that milk carton os aquarium salt at my local aquarium.
    Well today she is still going up and down the cone so I believe I'll have eggs tonight. I tested the hardness today and now it's 4 drops. Carol is this ok? If my tap water is 3 drops can the hardness in the tank go below that? If so what do I add to bring it up a notch?

Aquarium salt is just like table salt. It will not raise hardness and you can use it on your potatoes.

The GH of your tank can drop below 3. The natural nitrification process (ammonia turning to nitrITe and then to nitrAte) and the fish themselves will use up some of the minerals in the water. daily water changes add new minerals. Do keep an eye on your pH and GH for the next few months to see exactly how your water behaves. Some folks (like April) with very soft water have to add minerals with every water change

Ok, my pair laid eggs tonight. I came home from my mom's house and there they are :
    I wasn't able to watch so I guess I will finally find out if they eggs will be fertile. My water is: ph6.0, temp is 84, amonia - nitrite - nitrate is 0, GH is 4 drops. Carol there shouldn't be a problem now right? I did a water change around 3pm.
    There has to be about 250 eggs this time. All the others were about 150 except the very first which was a lot. This time it took her about a week to lay. I'm keeping my fingers crossed 8)
    I will keep you posted.
    I just want babies!

It sounds like you've got the water perfect. Now if the male did his part you are in business. I have my fingers crossed for you.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast