ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Better than sponge filters?

Default Better than sponge filters?

After squeazing my numerous sponge filters tonight, I was completely amazed how much filth these filters can attract within a couple of days. Cleaning all of these sponges is quite a task.

Two questions:

1 - What is the best way to get them very clean, without killing bio?

2 - Are there any alternative filters which would offer equal mechanical filtration, which are easier to clean?

Thanks,
    Nick

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re:Better than sponge filters?

1. Squeeze the h*ll out of them. You can't squeeze all the bacteria out so go to town.

2. Sponge filters are the easiest to clean, because you throw all the gunk out. Most other mechanical filtration systems move the gunk out of sight and people forget to clean them.

JMO, Willie

Registered Member

The best way to get them nice and clean is to let Kate clean them

Registered Member

Good answer Steve....
    Nick what I do is have an extra set of sponges on hand...I change the old with the new...rinse the dirty ones then they go into a bucket of water and some bleach...soak for a few hrs the rinse again then air dry and ready and clean for the next time.....
    Hows the red guys doing??? any more spawn???? Are you and Kate planning on coming to Denver????

Mench

Registered Member

The best alternative IMO are Aquaclear power filters with the 2 sponges. These provide excellent mechanical and biological filtering. When doing a water change, I remove the sponges and squeeze out in a bucket of used tank water and replace in filter. If you use bleach to clean them, you will kill all the bacteria.

Real Name
    Willie

Ya gotta squeeze them sponges, one way or the other. Sponge filters are easiest to squeeze, most difficult to ignore.

Willie

Hey Steve/Mench! How are you doing? I'm not sure if we will make it to Denver. When is it?

I cleaned a sponge filter in an old tank last night, so I could really see how clean I could get it. I squeezed FOREVER, and dusty filth kept on coming out. Since I have so many fry in these tanks, I am really trying to keep the tanks/filters spotless. I will keep searching for a better solution/method.

Mench - I have pairs everywhere, and have resorted to weekly sucking up massive batches of eggs (since I have no more room). I put together a small website, to advertise in the local paper. I have not released it yet, but some people have already found it.

Let me know what you think.

Nick & Kate
    www.discusbydesign.com

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

I like it
    Simple, straight forward, loads fast, easy to navigate. Only thing missing are prices . . . maybe you should list something like . . . . Discus starting at $xx.xx each

Registered Member

Hey Nick, do me a favor and in a day or two take a nitrIte reading in the tank where you just squeezed the heck out the sponge to clean it and let us know what it is.

Maybe it's just me, but even with light cleaning of the sponges I tend to get a little bit of a nitrIte reading.

I just switched to the sponge filters that Jason sells. They seem a little finer sponge so we'll see how they work.

GARY

I squeezed my AQ filter in tank water like crazy the other day and did get a nitrite reading afterwards.

[quote author=jules link=board=1;threadid=15857;start=0#msg164007 date=1074990538]
    I squeezed my AQ filter in tank water like crazy the other day and did get a nitrite reading afterwards.
    [/quote]

....and....????

Carol,
    Good idea. Until I update the site, here are the prices for the Passions we are currently selling.

2-3" - $35
    1-2" - $25

Nick & Kate

Ryan, just responding to Garys' post.

Nick,

I like your website! It's clean and straight forward. You've done a nice job with sample pix.

Thanks, Ray! That was my goal.

Nick